O
Posted By
oxjox
Apr 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Background: I’m in the middle of a project which is similar to creating images for a website in that I have created a master PSD and I’m now clipping hundreds of separate button images in both active and inactive states.

I pretty much have my flow down at this point to where my fingers are working faster than my brain is but would still like to save time if possible. Anyone who has done menial repetitive work like this should know that every mouse click and button press saved means the job gets done MUCH faster and with less chance for mistakes.

Question 1:
Is there anyway to automatically save as a PNG file? It would be great if I could set PNG as a default "Save As" when I press Shift- Command-S so that I don’t have to take my fingers off the keyboard and scroll through the drop down of file types.

— As I’m writing this I just realized I could probably create a small Action to do this for me. I haven’t used them very much in the past at all though.

Question 2:
I HAVE tried to create an Action by recording all the steps involved in my work flow but it basically created a bigger mess than I had hoped for. I really don’t expect anyone to help with this part but it doesn’t hurt to throw it out there anyway.

My Process;
1 – Select multiple layers that comprise a single button image (button background, text and or graphic icon)
2 – Command-E (repeat for each of my buttons for both active and inactive states, could be 30 buttons or more per page)
3 – (Command-A,) Command-C, Command-N, Command-V
4 – Shift-Command-S, Command-V (paste file name, change button name – ie, 1, 2, 3) ex: 17_AlarmKeypad 1 Inactive.png, 17_AlarmKeypad 2 Inactive.png, etc
5 – Command-W, D, Enter
6 – Repeat Step from Step 3.

From Steps 3 to 6 takes me at most 5 seconds but I’d like to streamline the process if possible to reduce the chance of errors. The ability just to automatically "Save As" a PNG would help alot. I’ve been using PS for over ten years but I’d rate myself a 6.5 on the power user scale.

Thanks in advance!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

O
oxjox
Apr 16, 2008
I have found one shortcut if anyone’s interested in this topic. The fastest thing to do seems to create an Applescript in Automator – Change Type of Images to PNG. This allows me to just save as the default PSD file type and then I can drag every PSD to the workflow I’ve saved on my desktop to automatically change it to a PNG.

I’m not sure if there are any negative effects to this like color spaces or anything but the icon is the default PNG icon rather than the preview [for os x of course].
MR
Mike Russell
Apr 17, 2008
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 05:40:28 -0700 (PDT), oxjox wrote:

Background: I’m in the middle of a project which is similar to creating images for a website in that I have created a master PSD and I’m now clipping hundreds of separate button images in both active and inactive states.
….

To actually answer your question about PNG images, save the files in whatever lossless format is convenient, and use Irfanview to do the final conversion to PNG as a batch operation.

At the risk of making a gratuitous suggestion, this sounds like a job for Data Sets. The Photoshop online manual discusses the concept, and there are tutorials you can google for. The sweet thing about Data Sets is if you are doing this for a customer, and they ask you to tweak the drop shadow or some other small detail, you won’t have to scream at them.

The basic idea is to define a psd file, similar to the master PSD file you are using now, as a template whose layers define the size and appearance of the button. Set up a text file or other document with a table containing the text and images for each button, one row per button, and import this into Photoshop as a data set. Then use "File > Export > Data Sets As Files" to generate the set of button images, using a psd image as a template. Do this for the normal button state, modify the psd to produce a disabled button, and export again, with a different suffix, to crank out all of the disabled button images.

Slicing, and Layer Comps are also probably worth a look. I have a feeling that Data Sets is the one that will really save you some work. —
Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections