J
Posted By
jaSPAMc
Apr 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A fiend is looking for a second hand scanner specifically for use with a Mac.

I’ve no knowledge of their current system or peripherals. He’s tried a couple scanners (didn’t say which) but the Mac portion of the drivers supplied didn’t work.

I’d appreciate suggestions as to brand and model. Price -=IS=- an object in his situation.

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

G
gowanoh
Apr 12, 2008
Because of the instability of the Mac OS platform you may have a real problem getting drivers for an older scanner.
The changes from Power PC to X86 as well conversion of the OS to serially incompatible Unix clones has severely constrained consumers as well as would be developers for the Mac platform.
Including Adobe.
Apple is extending its Idi Amin-like rapacious paranoia to the Iphone SDK. Jobs knows best.
In Jobs We Trust.
A lowly old Win98 box will have more used scanners adaptable to it than the latest overpriced/underpowered Apple box.
The excessive cost of ownership of Apple machines extends far beyond the breathtaking price of the box itself . . .
T
Tacit
Apr 12, 2008
In article ,
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

I’ve no knowledge of their current system or peripherals. He’s tried a couple scanners (didn’t say which) but the Mac portion of the drivers supplied didn’t work.

If your friend is using an old OS 9 based machine, any new scanner (which will supply drivers only for OS X) will not work. Without knowledge of what operating system your friend is using, it’s unlikely we can help.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
jaSPAMc
Apr 12, 2008
tacit found these unused words:

In article ,
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

If your friend is using an old OS 9 based machine, any new scanner (which will supply drivers only for OS X) will not work. Without knowledge of what operating system your friend is using, it’s unlikely we can help.

It’s a Mac with OS 10.4.11

He’d tried a friend’s scanner (a Mac user too) but possibly that was a 9x version driver. He then bought a Win/Mac (supposedly) scanner from Amazon. Wouldn’t work. Went completely through an uninstall/reinstall and then (per him) crashed on attempted use. It’s been returned.
T
Tacit
Apr 14, 2008
In article ,
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

He’d tried a friend’s scanner (a Mac user too) but possibly that was a 9x version driver. He then bought a Win/Mac (supposedly) scanner from Amazon. Wouldn’t work. Went completely through an uninstall/reinstall and then (per him) crashed on attempted use. It’s been returned.

Epson and HP both make scanners that work quite well on Macs. I would recommend avoiding Umax, which have a lousy record on both Mac and Windows machines.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
SpaceGirl
Apr 15, 2008
pickled wrote:
Because of the instability of the Mac OS platform you may have a real problem getting drivers for an older scanner.
The changes from Power PC to X86 as well conversion of the OS to serially incompatible Unix clones has severely constrained consumers as well as would be developers for the Mac platform.
Including Adobe.
Apple is extending its Idi Amin-like rapacious paranoia to the Iphone SDK. Jobs knows best.
In Jobs We Trust.
A lowly old Win98 box will have more used scanners adaptable to it than the latest overpriced/underpowered Apple box.
The excessive cost of ownership of Apple machines extends far beyond the breathtaking price of the box itself . . .

"Instability" ? You are kidding of course!

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# lead designer @ http://www.NorthLeithMill.com
# remove NO SPAM to email
# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2008
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

** Kammy has a new home! http://www.bitesizedjapan.com **
S
SpaceGirl
Apr 15, 2008
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

I’d appreciate suggestions as to brand and model. Price -=IS=- an object in his situation.

Thanks

I have an Epson RX600 combo scanner/printer on my Mac and it’s really nice. It retails around £200 (negotiated with Apple to get one free when we spent a fortune upgrading our studio).

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

J
jaSPAMc
Apr 15, 2008
SpaceGirl found these unused words:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Thanks

I have an Epson RX600 combo scanner/printer on my Mac and it’s really nice. It retails around £200 (negotiated with Apple to get one free when we spent a fortune upgrading our studio).

Thanks, but over US$400 is out of his range, a senior on assistance, etc.
S
SpaceGirl
Apr 15, 2008
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
SpaceGirl found these unused words:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, but over US$400 is out of his range, a senior on assistance, etc.

Epson do make good entry level scanners though – the one I mentioned is an all in one printer so is a little more expensive. Also Epson often run rebates (buy a printer get $50 cash back) when you buy online.

Word of warning though – if this user uses "fast user switching" you will have a headache with the drivers. Otherwise they work great.

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

JF
James French
Apr 17, 2008
"Because of the instability of the Mac OS platform you may have a real
problem getting drivers for an older scanner.
The changes from Power PC to X86 as well conversion of the OS to serially
incompatible Unix clones has severely constrained consumers as well as would
be developers for the Mac platform.
Including Adobe.
Apple is extending its Idi Amin-like rapacious paranoia to the Iphone SDK.
Jobs knows best.
In Jobs We Trust.
A lowly old Win98 box will have more used scanners adaptable to it than the
latest overpriced/underpowered Apple box.
The excessive cost of ownership of Apple machines extends far beyond the
breathtaking price of the box itself . . . "

I have an Epson Perfection V200, it works great, and I am using a Mac, running OS 10.4.11.
The person saying how lousy Macs are etc. is full of it. I have both a Mac and a PC. I spend about 5 times as much time
maintaining the PC as compared to the mac, which runs like a top. Anyone who is serious about doing any video, graphics
or sound production, and want to get things done, better on a Mac, PERIOD. Even if running system 9.2 would be better and
easier than Vista or XP. Mac is designed for color profiles, color management and monitor calibration which works very well.

I wouldn’t even think of doing anything but gaming on a PC, and even that can be done on a Mac with either native boot or emulation OS. Why even buy a PC when when of you really need to run Windows, why not have both Mac OS X and Windows on one machine. Saves money, one machine, one monitor, one keyboard, one mouse, one graphics tablet, less desk space used up. Probably less headaches, and if run under OS X emulation, no viruses, worms or trojan horses etc. probably. I have owned Macs since 1987 and they have all been "STABLE." Very stable!
James
D
dorayme
Apr 22, 2008
In article <Hg5Mj.17773$%>,
"pickled" wrote:

Because of the instability of the Mac OS platform

Where are you getting this crap from?

dorayme
MR
Mike Russell
Apr 22, 2008
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:10:05 +1000, dorayme wrote:

"pickled" wrote:

It’s my observation that Mac toes can be very tender, and are easily stepped on.

This was some time ago, but I think pickled meant that the Max OS versions were changing relatively quickly, compared to Windows. The result is that many scanner drivers targetted for older versions of OSX will not work on newer versions.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
D
dorayme
Apr 22, 2008
In article <1txcebwg8pfvl$>,
Mike Russell wrote:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:10:05 +1000, dorayme wrote:

"pickled" wrote:

It’s my observation that Mac toes can be very tender, and are easily stepped on.

Well, maybe you are right about tender! It is the fate of small groups to have to draw the wagons around in a circle and be ready for the injuns to attack

(I see lots of old westerns! Latest was Calamity Jane, the unconscious racism and sexism in it competing for the songs and other filmic wonders <g>)

But that is not the same as saying Mac OS is unstable! And Mac OS and Mac machines have not exactly been like greased lightening in their developments. Anyway… cheers…

This was some time ago, but I think pickled meant that the Max OS versions were changing relatively quickly, compared to Windows. The result is that many scanner drivers targetted for older versions of OSX will not work on newer versions.

dorayme

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections