Posted By
LKJohnson
Apr 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, this may be a dumb question.

Finally, upgraded to System OS X and Photoshop CS, downloaded the latest driver for my wacom tablet. Works fine except that I can’t find the pen control settings for the brushes and other tools in Photoshop CS. I’m stuck on the size setting and I’d like to use my pen for some opacity effects. Thanks for any help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Apr 13, 2004
Have you read the fine manual??

Did you look in the well??
L
LKJohnson
Apr 13, 2004
Never mind. Found it.
I had read the help before but didn’t realize that I needed to highlight the brush preset, not just click on it. Thanks anyway
RS
Rick_Stare
Apr 13, 2004
I’d like to use my pen for some opacity effects

Most of the common Photoshop brushes (Hard Round and Soft Round) are set up so that the pen pressure will vary the brush diameter, but the Airbrushes (they are right after the Soft Round brushes in the default set) are set up so that the pen pressure will always vary the opacity instead of the diameter.

You can change any of this behavior yourself in the Brushes palette. In the Shape Dynamics section notice that the Size Control is set to Pen Pressure for the common brushes, but you can turn this off or select other settings. To get opacity control, look in the Other Dynamics section and set either Opacity Control or Flow Control to Pen Pressure.

Setting the Opacity or Flow control to Fade will give a fade-out over a set distance. This setting used to be much easier to access in Photoshop 5, and I still get questions from people who assume the feature was dropped in Photoshop 7.

* Rick
B
Buko
Apr 14, 2004
there is also a FAQ you can read.
CW
c_watts
Aug 3, 2004
Hi folks,

Is there any easy way to reset ALL the brushes in CS so that the pressure increases opacity instead of brush size? I can do it one by one, but it will get really boring!

Others may differ here, but attaching brush size to pen pressure seems like a pretty poor default setting!

I have tried the "Airbrush" button, but it doesn’t do what I want. It would also be great to be able to change spacing for a group of brushes to 1%

thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections