AM
Posted By
Adam_Ma.
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just got CS2, and one of the first things that caught my eye was the large amount of cpu cycles it draws whenever I have the info palette displayed and I’m moving the mouse around the canvas (seems to happen more with some tools than with others; marquee, wand, lasso). The problem immediately disappears as soon as I switch to Navigator or Histogram. BTW, this happens with any size image, blank or otherwise. The lag gets rather annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Screenshot: <http://img54.echo.cx/img54/5995/cs2cpu7fn.jpg>

Hardware shouldn’t be an issue…
XP SP2, latest hotfixes
Athlon XP 3000
768MB DDR/SDRAM

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 28, 2005
The only time we’ve seen that was with a REALLY slow video card (it was trying to do everything in software).
AM
Adam_Ma.
Apr 28, 2005
Well, I’m currently running a Radeon 9000 Pro (64mb). Although it is a low-end card, I wouldn’t categorize it as ‘REALLY slow’. Heck, the thing actually runs Doom3 (800×600, medium setting, ~25fps). I’ve never experienced this in this in previous Photoshop versions. Drivers are up to date as well.

Thanks for the input, Chris.
SB
Scott_Byer
Apr 29, 2005
Some of the Info palette updating was shifted around to address some performance issues it was causing. In addition, it is being drawn in a slightly different way that seems to affect some video cards much more. See if there is an updated driver available for your card.

Note that it shouldn’t affect painting performance at all.

-Scott

wrote:
I’ve never experienced this in this in previous Photoshop versions. Drivers are up to date as well.
AM
Adam_Ma.
Apr 29, 2005
Just checked over at ATI and I am running the latest Catalyst’s (5.4/6.14.10.6525). Like I stated before, as long as I’m not using the info palette, things are alright…minor inconvenience. Hopefully, the next Catalyst’s should fix the issue or if you guys release a patch.

Thanks for your help 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 29, 2005
Another user reported that upgrading his video card solved the problem.

My guess is that we switched to an API that ATI didn’t accelerate very well.

Please make sure you report this to ATI (the more complaints, the faster they’ll respond).
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 29, 2005
Happens on some nVidia drivers as well.. high cpu cycles that is. I’ve not seen the slow down.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 29, 2005
I wonder if the problems discussed here are related to why I’m seeing corruption of the palettes if I’ve docked them together in bottom-to-top fashion? Specifically, it is the data from the Expanded View of the Histogram that, upon returning to compact view, remains partially displayed and overlaying the palette. The solution for now is to just detach the Histogram palette to its own window. Here’s an image of what I’m seeing, comparing compact view to expanded view: <http://jazzdiver.com/photoshop/cs2_palette_refresh.gif>

My system has an nVidia Geforce FX5700 graphics card running with the latest available drivers from nVidia.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Daryll
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 29, 2005
I’ve not seen anything like that before and I have the latest drivers for the nVidia 5200 on one of the PC’s I have here at present.
SB
Scott_Byer
Apr 29, 2005
Nope, that just looks like a bug with the Layers palette. Shoot, I thought I had tracked down and killed all of those…

-Scott

wrote:
I wonder if the problems discussed here are related to why I’m seeing corruption of the palettes…
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 30, 2005
Scott,

I don’t know if this is helpful or not, but I explored different placements of the Histogram palette which my prior illustration had at the top. What I observed was that regardless of placement in the "totem pole" of palettes or if simply detached off to its own, the Compact View of the Histogram would still show the data spilling into the area used by any other palette that could be docked to its bottom edge.

Display characteristics at the time were a 1280x1024x32-bit resolution, PS UI font sizes of both Small and Medium demonstrated this (large not checked), DPI setting in Advanced Display Properties was at Large. I normally run the Large DPI setting since it overall makes for easier viewing of all Windows GUI elements, but I also checked this problem out at the Normal DPI setting with PS UI Medium font and it persisted. My current system is a Compaq model with an Athlon 3000 CPU and AMD chipset on an ASUS OEM motherboard. Again, the graphics card is a nVidia GeForce FX5700 used in lieu of the integrated video. If any sort of specific h/w info is useful, just let me know and I’ll fill in the blanks.

Thanks,

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 30, 2005
adam, for future refrence, for privacy sake, you can turn off the User Name column in task manager (and add quite a few other useful columns) via task mgrs view> select columns menu… you probably already knew that, but just in case you didn’t… well there you go. 🙂

dave

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections