UT
Posted By
uncle Tom
Sep 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How much memmory should I have to run PE?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
Bert Bigelow
Sep 20, 2003
Keith,
More is better. 1 Gigabyte is a good number. Less than 512 Megabytes will probably slow you down, particularly when you are working on large images, or multilayer images. Some people think 2 Gigabytes is the right number. Kinda depends on what kind of work you are doing in Photoshop. I ran PSE on a machine with 128 megs for awhile. When working on large images, it was constantly swapping out to disk. It was veeeerrrrryyyyyy slow.
Bert
EM
Elena Murphy
Sep 22, 2003
Having a dedicated scratch disk that is not your startup volume will also help. You should have this scratch disk/partition/volume be empty of other files that you care about because a scratch disk will become very fragmented very quickly. If your primary scratch disk is your startup volume access to it will be a lot slower. Photoshop/Elements often go straight to scratch disk for complex processing, even if you still have some ram available. But as Bert said, as far as ram, the correct answer to your question is "more".
BB
Bert Bigelow
Sep 23, 2003
Elena,
I think our thread creator came, posted, and left, never to return. Oh well. We tried to help.
A
adobejohnny
Oct 5, 2003
Do I really need to buy more memory? How much more? Here’s my problem: I’m trying to merge two images into one. After everything is set up and I click "okay" the program trys and then comes back with a failure message that I have insufficient memory. Well, it’s a good Dell Pentium with 256 Mb of memory -not to mention the virtual memory of almost 30,000 Mb. I don’t mind adding more memory, but will it really fix the problem? And if 256 or 30,256 is not enough, how much is?? I need to make this merge routine work so thanks an awful lot.

John Taylor
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 5, 2003
You don’t say what system you’re running; there’s some variation among versions of Windows in how memory is managed. I think it’s XP that usually takes care of this on its own, but I know from using Elements on my Mac OS 9 that the amount of memory in the computer doesn’t always equate to the amount given to Elements, and I have to change that manually.

Post back with some OS info, and maybe someone can tell you if this might be what you’re running into.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 5, 2003
Adobe Johnny,

It helps to have a recently defragmented hard drive so that contiguous space is available for the program, as well as no other programs running.
GM
george_mestas
Nov 14, 2003
In reading the file at <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12dde.htm> it implies that photoshop cannot use more than 2 Gigs of ram!!! I currently have no computer set up with more but I do have one with 2 G’s. A Tyan with a 2466 mb running 2400+x2MP’s Win 2k. PC2100 registered ram. The motherboard will accept up to 4 G’s of Reg ram. There is some confussion as to whether I would see anything over 3.8G’s but I don’t understand the photoshop restriction. Adobe indicates that it will not run at all if I have more than 2 G’s installed!!! This is from their support knowledgebase and not an anonymous forum remark. Can anyone explain or correct this issue? The issue of maximum file size is separate. The exact quote "Photoshop can run only on computers with 2 GB or less of installed physical RAM."
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 14, 2003
I’m sure this will generate some responses, but it’s never come up before that I remember. If you wait until tomorrow, an Adobe person tries to check in. He might be able to give you more information.
R
Redmondite
Nov 14, 2003
This has got to be because of the compiler(s) used to write the software. There’s a 2 GB limit that requires some addressing tricks to go to 4 GB and if not all of the pieces of your software are written to handle it then you’re stuck with a 2 GB limit. Otherwise the addresses "rollover" and you’ll get page faults and all kinds of other errors.

Adobe will fix it soon since the 64 bit processors make any limit useless and old.

wrote in message
In reading the file at <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12dde.htm> it implies that photoshop cannot use more than 2 Gigs of ram!!! I
currently have no computer set up with more but I do have one with 2 G’s. A Tyan with a 2466 mb running 2400+x2MP’s Win 2k. PC2100 registered ram. The motherboard will accept up to 4 G’s of Reg ram. There is some confussion as to whether I would see anything over 3.8G’s but I don’t understand the photoshop restriction. Adobe indicates that it will not run at all if I have more than 2 G’s installed!!! This is from their support knowledgebase and not an anonymous forum remark. Can anyone explain or correct this issue? The issue of maximum file size is separate. The exact quote "Photoshop can run only on computers with 2 GB or less of installed physical RAM."
GM
george_mestas
Nov 20, 2003
so far no one has answered this. I would think Adobe should clarify this since it is from their actual files on improving photoshop speed.
S
squidly46
Nov 20, 2003
AS MUCH AS THAT DADGUM COMPUTER CAN HOLD…
(running XP Home, with over 1 gig, still not nuff).
respectfullly
squidly

wrote in message
so far no one has answered this. I would think Adobe should clarify this since it is from their actual files on improving photoshop speed.

tested and scanned thru AVG
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 – Release Date: 11/18/2003
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 21, 2003
This was posted a long time ago in "forum years" and I forgot all about it. In the meantime I read about the 2GB limit somewhere else, too. I’ve sent an e-mail to somebody who might be able to give an answer.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections