ED
Posted By
Emeril Darose
Sep 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I keep getting this error message when I try to save a file. could not save as ******.*** because of a program error. If anyone knows what causes this please let me know.

To the people at adobe, it would be nice if you put in a trouble shooting section in the users manuals or at least a web page for error messages.

Emeril

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
Grant Dixon
Sep 17, 2003
Emeril

You can’t save a file with a ‘*’ it as it is a reserved character in the operating system it is not a fault of adobe. For what it is worth the characters that are prohibited in file name are "* / \ : " ? < > ‘. Well in windows and DOS base programs the are and I think the same is true with Unix … although not sure about Mac .

Grant
ED
Emeril Darose
Sep 18, 2003
Grant thanks for the reply, I guess I didn’t make myself clear the "******.***" was just used as an example of A file name any file name. I tried to save my files but I get that error message. Say the file name is abstract1.jpg or abstract1.tif it doesn’t matter what I call the file or the type of file I try to save I get the same error message.

My system is a pent III with 288 meg of ram and an 80G hard drive as a scratch disk, plus another 80G HD for my programs and files.

Emeril
NS
Nancy S
Sep 18, 2003
Emeril,

Sounds like you may be trying to edit an image which is on a CD. If so, copy that image to your harddrive and then begin work on it.

If not, are you going to File>Save As? If you rename, you will produce a new file, if you don’t, your original file will be overwritten. Can use the drop down list in Format to change the format to .psd or whatever.
MR
meg rowan
Sep 20, 2003
Have not been able to use this program since Day 1. I keep getting the following message when I try to open:

"Could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information."

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Meg Rowan
P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2003
Meg, how about posting some additional information about the platform and OS you’re running. Sometimes specifics don’t help, but other times they do. Also let us know if you downloaded the software from the Adobe site or purchased the boxed retail version. And, did you ever use a demo of the program before buying it?
NS
Nancy S
Sep 20, 2003
Meg,

I searched this forum for that error message and our Adobe guy, Rich C., offered this reply (the poster did not return to his/her results however)

"Usually a reinstall over the previous install will clear that up."

Nancy
MR
meg rowan
Sep 21, 2003
Beth,

I am using Windows 98 and purchased Photoshop Elements from a retailer. Did not use a demo before purchase.

Will try Nancy’s advice to reinstall and will let you know the results. Thank you both.

Meg
MR
meg_rowan
Oct 1, 2003
Nancy,

FYI, I reinstalled the program and it works! Hopefully, this will help others with the same problem. Thanks so much.

Meg
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 2, 2003
Meg,

Glad you got it working now and thanks for posting your results, very helpful.

Nancy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections