NC
Posted By
nella_castillo
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello I do not have a layout program like in design or illustrator and wish to do a 27 page book (8.5 x11) is there a hint that could help me speed this up as to as to how to create a master page just in case I need to change the background for all of them at once, thanks nella.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BobLevine
Apr 27, 2005
The hint is get InDesign. Phtotoshop is fine for the occassional flyer or poster, but for a brochure you need a page layout application.

Bob
GH
Gary_Hummell
Apr 27, 2005
I am a beginner at InDesign, but the flexibility and features far surpass anything that you could adapt with Photoshop for something like a 27 page book. If you can afford it, I assure you, you won’t regret buying InDesign.

Gary
P
Phosphor
Apr 27, 2005
I’ll pile on as well.

Get InDesign for this type of job.

NOT Publisher.
NOT Word.
NOT Pagemaker.
NOT QuarkXPress.

InDesign.

Full Stop.
N
NTD
Apr 28, 2005
Ditto,

Get InDesign.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 28, 2005
The only customization available in Photoshop that could help you is the custom document sizes preset: you can set it up with guides.

But In Design is more suited for this task…
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Apr 28, 2005
You could put each page on a separate layer, with the "master page" items on the background layer. You could then hide all but the background and the desired page when you print it.

But with InDesign, you would gain automatic text flow between pages, style sheets, and automatic page numbering, none of which I’d want to design a booklet without.
P
Phosphor
Apr 28, 2005
" You could put each page on a separate layer, with the "master page" items on the background layer. You could then hide all but the background and the desired page when you print it."

Oh, man, I’d be screaming bloody blue murder if I worked prepress in a print shop and got a file like this!
B
BobLevine
Apr 28, 2005
If each page was saved as a PDF and then combined in Acrobat it would be fine. But it would also take forever to do. I’ll stick to InDesign.

Bob
R
Rastamon
Apr 28, 2005
Wasn’t there some kind of dynamic linking ability in CS1/2, whereby any changes to an image reverberated to all incarnations of that image?
TH
Tina_Hayes
Apr 28, 2005
Everybody cannot afford InDesign, so I’m going to offer an affordable page layout program that is very decent, it also can export to PDF:

• Serif PagePlus <http://www.serif.com/pageplus/pageplus10/index.asp> •

Do your backgrouds and graphics in Photoshop, and use this to do your layout and prrint preperation.

(Not to take away from Adobe, but one would need deep pcokets to buy all of this, and some of us just don’t have deep pockets!)
B
BobLevine
Apr 28, 2005
While not cheap, if you buy the entire suite as an upgrade from Photoshop you get quite the bargain.

I’ll also add that having the right tools is a cost of doing business. But for the hobbiest, something like PagePlus is probably fine.

Bob
TH
Tina_Hayes
Apr 28, 2005
PagePlus while certainly not the master tool that InDesign is, can be used for more that ‘hobby’.

If you can design, you can use the lessor tool.

Sure it’s more work, but you have Master Page, frames, Table of contents, index, text formattig,color management, etc. etc. etc…

When choosing to output as pdf to send to print, you have prepress ooptions….

It’s not the power app that InDesign is (I’ve done an InDesign trial), but it does the job when budgets are limited. I would absolutly say InDesign or the whole Suite if one can afford it, but if you just can’t this is a good alternative.
V
viol8ion
Apr 28, 2005
I’ll also add that having the right tools is a cost of doing business.

One has to begin somewhere in order to get the money that pays for that "cost". This may not be immediately understood by those that do not freelance, and who are not self employed. There are certain priorities when self-employed, like paying mortgage so that you continue to have a place to live and work. Then with the money left over one can indulge in upgrading their systems and software. In the interim, one sometimes out of necessity must compromise and be creative in order to earn that money that you so freely throw around.
TH
Tina_Hayes
Apr 29, 2005
Well said viol8ion. If I could afford the whole suite I’d do it in a haertbeat. But shelling out that kind of dough for me would be impossible right now, and in the foreseeable future, and maybe for the author of this post too.

600.00 programs don’t come easily for some people. My next one is Illustrator, but it’ll be at least two years before I can even hope to save for it.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Apr 29, 2005
If you enroll for a class in a community college, you’d be eligible for academic pricing. You wouldn’t even have to take a graphics course. I started with several apps a few years ago when I went back to school. I recall that the academic price for Quark was same as retail – that’s Quark for you 🙁
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 29, 2005
For me another factor is finding time to learn new stuff. I’ve been happy in my own way with the tools I settled on ten years ago. Photoshop is the only Adobe one. I think the Creative Suite is a fabulous combination but, apart from the cost, it would take a long, long time for me to get up to the level of proficiency needed in Illustrator and InDesign to match my present skills.

I’m still tempted though!
O
Ol__Whozit
Apr 29, 2005
Go Flash instead of Illustrator.
Now that Adobe bought Macromedia, I can say that safely!

You get vector PAINTING tools, not just bezier points, and you can easily animate from within the app as well.

Now if Adobe would just add gradient meshes to Flash, all would be perfect in vector-land!
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 29, 2005
Hello I do not have a layout program like in design or illustrator and wish to do a 27 page book

To the OP:

It is impossible to have a 27 page book, it must have 28 pages
PH
Photo_Help
Apr 29, 2005
Rene,

"impossible" is a strong word and inaccurate.

You are assuming book fold front and back. The project could be single sided in a binder or folder or a number of other scenarios. The word book however is irrelevant we know there are 27 different pages that need the same background.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 29, 2005
The project could be single sided in a binder or folder

But then it’s not a book, its a binder or folder…

"Book: a set of written, printed, or blank sheets *bound together* into a volume" – Websters
PH
Photo_Help
Apr 30, 2005
Rene,

The fact remains that this has nothing to do with the thread. I suggest you find a thread where you can argue the finer points of a "book". This is not that thread.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections