Posted By
Paul Burdett
Mar 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

Using CS3+win XP. Is there a way to have the photos displayed as thumbnails when clicking: File>open, instead of icons by default? That is, without having to select the view menu and selecting thumbnails.

Cheers,

Paul

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DJ
david johnson
Mar 9, 2008
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 08:57:08 +1000, "Paul Burdett" wrote:

Hi all,

Using CS3+win XP. Is there a way to have the photos displayed as thumbnails when clicking: File>open, instead of icons by default? That is, without having to select the view menu and selecting thumbnails.
Cheers,

Paul

in the open window, choose the view icon and select which you need, i always have mine on thumbnails

downside is of course takes longer to display
PB
Paul Burdett
Mar 9, 2008
wrote in message

Hi all,

Using CS3+win XP. Is there a way to have the photos displayed as thumbnails
when clicking: File>open, instead of icons by default? That is, without having to select the view menu and selecting thumbnails.
Cheers,

Paul

in the open window, choose the view icon and select which you need, i always have mine on thumbnails

Thanks, but I already know this. As I said in my post I wanted to know if there is a way to have the photos open in thumbnails by default. My internet research tells me that this is not possible. Oh well..that’s life.
R
RobertJM
Mar 9, 2008
"Paul Burdett" wrote in message
wrote in message

Hi all,

Using CS3+win XP. Is there a way to have the photos displayed as thumbnails
when clicking: File>open, instead of icons by default? That is, without having to select the view menu and selecting thumbnails.
Cheers,

Paul

Thanks, but I already know this. As I said in my post I wanted to know if there is a way to have the photos open in thumbnails by default. My internet research tells me that this is not possible. Oh well..that’s life.
I would think this is a windows option rather than PS, not sure though, check your folder options for where you keep your photo’s.

RobertJM
K
KatWoman
Mar 9, 2008
Hi all,

Cheers,

Paul
PS removed the thumbnail feature for Windoz after PS 7.01 they said it is an OS conflict and would not work with MS to fix it for us I am sure it is a way to force us to use their crappy file browser

there is a registry fix
not supported by either
but works for me and others

Google for psicon.dll
which is the module that was used by previous versions of PS make sure to read the instructions fully that come with the file always backup your registry before making any changes

there is one for Illustrator thumbnails too, but I don’t recommend it, it makes all the thumbnails very small in a white background (I guess it shows the whole canvas )

I prefer my own system of filing in Explorer and I think the PS browser is superslow to see the files in a folder by comparison even when previously cached, windows opens them noticeably faster
PB
Paul Burdett
Mar 10, 2008
"KatWoman" wrote in message
Hi all,

Cheers,

Paul
PS removed the thumbnail feature for Windoz after PS 7.01 they said it is an OS conflict and would not work with MS to fix it for us I am sure it is a way to force us to use their crappy file browser
there is a registry fix
not supported by either
but works for me and others

Google for psicon.dll
which is the module that was used by previous versions of PS make sure to read the instructions fully that come with the file always backup your registry before making any changes

there is one for Illustrator thumbnails too, but I don’t recommend it, it makes all the thumbnails very small in a white background (I guess it shows the whole canvas )

I prefer my own system of filing in Explorer and I think the PS browser is superslow to see the files in a folder by comparison even when previously cached, windows opens them noticeably faster

Thank you for the info. I found psicon.dll, but there were no instructions with it..so I "Googled" and found some that involve registry alterations..also some of the sites I found said there was another dll file needed..aicon.dll or something like that. No worries..I’ll stick with what I’ve got. It only takes a second to switch from icon to thumbnail view anyway. Seems strange to me though why the issue exists!

Cheers,

Paul

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections