PB
Posted By
Pamela Brooke
Sep 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Im making a banner ad. Im an artist, but im a basic newbie on Photoshop elements. My art is saved in jpg files…ive created a banner ad and the file size is 82K. It needs to be 15K. What do i need to do to rduce file size. I have to have this done by thursday 9/19! Any help is appreciated more than you know!

thanks, pamela

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 17, 2003
"Pamela Brooke" wrote in message
[…] ive created a banner ad and the file size is 82K. It needs to be 15K. What do i need to do to rduce file size.

Open the file in Elements. File/Save As… and choose a new file name for the file. Select JPEG for the file type.

When you click Save, a dialog will come up allowing you to change the compression settings. Elements does not allow you to change the compression with as much precision as many other similar programs do, but it should give you enough control to accomplish what you want.

So, in that dialog, there’s a "quality" drop-down. As the quality goes down, so does the file size. Elements will also show you, down at the bottom of the dialog, the estimated file size. So you can play with the compression settings until you get a file size you like.

I’m assuming that the actual pixel width and height of the image is fixed, according to the specs for the banner ad. If you can make the ad smaller, that’s another way to reduce the file size.

Hope that helps…welcome to the world of digital image editing. 🙂

Pete
PB
Pamela Brooke
Sep 17, 2003
thanks pete! i reduced it once by saving to to the web…i have it down to 27k. I will use theinfo above. its my first banner ad and it’s going up on ebay. I sell my own art and my sales have been slow lately. i hope this helps…

so what your sayin if a make it smaller than 468X60 it will still fit into the space allotted, but its a way to reduce file size. nifty! i can shave off o few pixels that way.

im so surprised to get an answer right away! this is very cool

thanks
pamela
P
Phosphor
Sep 17, 2003
Actually, Pamela, I would slightly disagree with Pete’s advice in this situation. Using Save As will include some EXIF data in the photo that you don’t need and make the file size marginally larger than if you use Save for Web, which strips that out.

I would take your original artwork, do a Save for Web and when the SFW window opens, first check your dimensions in the box on the right side about halfway down the page. If the file is too large in terms of pixel dimensions, enter the dimensions you want and click "apply" there. Then go up to the top and fool around with the jpg quality settings till you get the file size you want, then click okay.

When you are back in the main window, be sure to Command/Ctrl +Z on your original image so that the size is not changed on that as well.
PB
Pamela Brooke
Sep 17, 2003
I dont understand. When I save the banner ad to gif format at the bottom of the SFW window file size says 11.68k, but when I upload it to the company that is going to post the ad for me it says 16K…1K over the limit. This is sooo frustrating!! What is the real size?

Pamela
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 17, 2003
Pamela: I think the number at the bottom of the SFW window is an estimate; can you go into Windows Explorer and see what the actual image size is? (I’m assuming you’re on Windows – if not, whatever, the Mac file maintenance equivalent is….)

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 17, 2003
On a mac, just highlight the file and hit command +i to bring up the get info window.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections