Posted By
michael
Mar 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I am considering buying a Wacom tablet. I’m not much of a sketch artist or drawer, but rather I was wondering if a Wacom tablet would be (after getting used to it) faster and/or more efficient for doing precision selections and cutouts in Photoshop. I’m sure I will be doing some sketching/drawing at some point, but my main purpose would be for selections, such as with the pen or lasso tool.

I’m currently considering the 4×6 Intuos3, at about $199. I’ve watched some vids and brief tutorials of the tablet. Looks great, and like it could really be useful! Any input/advice much appreciated.

Michael

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
Dave
Mar 8, 2008
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 13:51:13 -0500, Michael J
wrote:

Hello all,

I am considering buying a Wacom tablet. I’m not much of a sketch artist or drawer, but rather I was wondering if a Wacom tablet would be (after getting used to it) faster and/or more efficient for doing precision selections and cutouts in Photoshop. I’m sure I will be doing some sketching/drawing at some point, but my main purpose would be for selections, such as with the pen or lasso tool.

I’m currently considering the 4×6 Intuos3, at about $199. I’ve watched some vids and brief tutorials of the tablet. Looks great, and like it could really be useful! Any input/advice much appreciated.
Michael

If you watched videos and tutorials, you have seen more than anyone here can tell you. No one of us regret the buy of graphic tablets. I am using a 6×8 Genius.
J
Joel
Mar 8, 2008
Michael J wrote:

Hello all,

Michael

Tablet is lot more then selection and cutout etc.. but for some very basic tools like cloning, erasing, masking etc. when you get a hang of it then you wouldn’t wanna go without it.

*BUT* it will take quite sometime to get rid of the mouse (could be 2-3 months) then few months to master the toy. I have been using tablet for nearly 2 decades or never use mouse for over a decade.
D
Dave
Mar 9, 2008
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:51:06 -0600, Joel wrote:

Tablet is lot more then selection and cutout etc.. but for some very basic tools like cloning, erasing, masking etc. when you get a hang of it then you wouldn’t wanna go without it.

*BUT* it will take quite sometime to get rid of the mouse (could be 2-3 months) then few months to master the toy. I have been using tablet for nearly 2 decades or never use mouse for over a decade.

I keep on using both, because while it is impossible to do a signature with a mouse, it is clumsy to use a pen for clicking here and there and why will I use a pen to crop with etc.
M
michael
Mar 9, 2008
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 06:50:28 +0200, Dave wrote:

I keep on using both, because while it is impossible to do a signature with a mouse, it is clumsy to use a pen for clicking here and there and why will I use a pen to crop with etc.

Thanks for all the continuing input people. I recently got done watching a video from Photoshop Cafe, "Photoshop Secrets – Wacom Tablets and Photoshop," with Colin Smith and Wes Maggio (no plug intended). After watching this vid I must say, I HAVE TO HAVE ONE! Wow, I don’t think I could have imagined how useful these things could be and how far they have come with the technology. It’s even inspiring me to draw, (plus it should come in handy with Flash 8 as another benefit). For my main purposes of selection, I don’t know if the tablet will be mega-more precise than a precision mouse/track ball, but at least equally so and man will it ever be more efficient than a mouse after you get used to it. Especially toggling back and forth from direct select to quick mask mode. And the EASY opacity changes for transparency with the brush pressure levels? One word: awesome. In fact, after seeing what these things can do, I think I’m going to go with the 6×8 Intuos3 rather than the 4×6. I’ve been contemplating having a tablet since ’02. I think it’s time to get one.

Michael
J
Joel
Mar 10, 2008
Dave wrote:

As I said PRACTICING! PRACTICING! and PRACTICING!
J
Joel
Mar 10, 2008
Michael J wrote:

Thanks for all the continuing input people. I recently got done watching a video from Photoshop Cafe, "Photoshop Secrets – Wacom Tablets and Photoshop," with Colin Smith and Wes Maggio (no plug intended). After watching this vid I must say, I HAVE TO HAVE ONE! Wow, I don’t think I could have imagined how useful these things could be and how far they have come with the technology. It’s even inspiring me to draw, (plus it should come in handy with Flash 8 as another benefit). For my main purposes of selection, I don’t know if the tablet will be mega-more precise than a precision mouse/track ball, but at least equally so and man will it ever be more efficient than a mouse after you get used to it. Especially toggling back and forth from direct select to quick mask mode. And the EASY opacity changes for transparency with the brush pressure levels? One word: awesome. In fact, after seeing what these things can do, I think I’m going to go with the 6×8 Intuos3 rather than the 4×6. I’ve been contemplating having a tablet since ’02. I think it’s time to get one.
Michael

It’s no difference than a regular pen, but as long as you keep reaching for the mouse then you will never be able to get the max out of the pen. As I said, it’s much more than selecting, or it’s little easier but not much difference comparing to mouse, but for other then it’s day and night difference.

As I mentioned, learn not to use mouse but PEN only on everything for around a month or so, and hopefully you will no longer need mouse by then. And if you still using mouse for other then PEN may not be a good idea as you will never be able to master it.
R
RobertJM
Mar 10, 2008
I’ve also been looking at the Bamboo tablets , you can get one for
M
michael
Mar 10, 2008
Using a 6×11 Intuits III with dual monitors. Took me awhile to get used to but once you get it down, a mouse feels like the most awkward way to ever work in photoshop.
One thing I did do though….I bought a Tarsus lap stand: http://reviews.cnet.com/notebook-accessories/targus-notebook -portable-lapdesk/4505-6459_7-30464339.html
I found that angling the tablet made is much more comfortable than having it lay flat on the desk.

"Joel" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

Tablet is lot more then selection and cutout etc.. but for some very basic
tools like cloning, erasing, masking etc. when you get a hang of it then you
wouldn’t wanna go without it.

As I said PRACTICING! PRACTICING! and PRACTICING!
RB
Rudy Benner
Mar 10, 2008
"Michael" wrote in message
Using a 6×11 Intuits III with dual monitors. Took me awhile to get used to
but once you get it down, a mouse feels like the most awkward way to ever work in photoshop.
One thing I did do though….I bought a Tarsus lap stand: http://reviews.cnet.com/notebook-accessories/targus-notebook -portable-lapdesk/4505-6459_7-30464339.html
I found that angling the tablet made is much more comfortable than having it
lay flat on the desk.

Good tip, I checked and the local Staples has a similar stand. I will check it out.

I have the Intuos3 9×12 and would have done better buying a smaller one.
M
michael
Mar 10, 2008
wow, can I not type or what? I meant Targus lapdesk stand. I bought one from our soon-out-of business CompUSA here in Manhattan. The rubber feet keep the tablet from sliding off. A 9×12 might be a bit big for it though. (just figured out…spell check changed my original post)

Photoshop Retouching & Digital Artwork
www.PixelKat.com

"
lay flat on the desk.
J
Joel
Mar 10, 2008
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

but once you get it down, a mouse feels like the most awkward way to ever work in photoshop.
lay flat on the desk.

Good tip, I checked and the local Staples has a similar stand. I will check it out.

I upgraded from 12×12" to 4×6′ and much happier.
RB
Rudy Benner
Mar 10, 2008
"Joel" wrote in message
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

Using a 6×11 Intuits III with dual monitors. Took me awhile to get used
to
but once you get it down, a mouse feels like the most awkward way to ever
work in photoshop.
I found that angling the tablet made is much more comfortable than having
it
lay flat on the desk.

Good tip, I checked and the local Staples has a similar stand. I will check
it out.

The new drivers which I downloaded have a new feature called Quickpoint which I do not recall from when I bought the tablet. Its like having 2 tablets, one small and one large. I downloaded a tutorial from PhotoshopCafe as well.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

r.
D
Dave
Mar 10, 2008
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:57:22 -0500, Joel wrote:

"Rudy Benner" wrote:

lay flat on the desk.

Uncle Joel, you are a big bullshitter.
You said top posters go straight to your kill file.
How much of what you say is true?

Dave
M
michael
Mar 11, 2008
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 03:35:23 -0500, Joel wrote:

Michael J wrote:

Michael

It’s no difference than a regular pen, but as long as you keep reaching for the mouse then you will never be able to get the max out of the pen. As I said, it’s much more than selecting, or it’s little easier but not much difference comparing to mouse, but for other then it’s day and night difference.

As I mentioned, learn not to use mouse but PEN only on everything for around a month or so, and hopefully you will no longer need mouse by then. And if you still using mouse for other then PEN may not be a good idea as you will never be able to master it.

Hey Joel thanks for the input. When I get my tablet in a couple days (ordered through Amazon) I plan on unplugging my mouse, putting it up in the closet and not looking back. If I might say, I think I’ll take to the tablet well. I used to have a precision thumb-track-ball that I used for design in Lightwave 3D. All my friends HATED that thing and could never get used to it. But I loved it from the start and could pretty much zip to and stop on a pixel on the display using it. I think the tablet will be much the same way. Before even getting it, it already seems more intuitive to my brain than the mouse.
M
michael
Mar 11, 2008
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:26:09 -0000, "RobertJM" wrote:

I’ve also been looking at the Bamboo tablets , you can get one for £50/60 , but are these small ones (6×4?) a waste of time? or is there better value-for-money out there.
Probably only use it in PS etc.

Hey Robert, I’ve been doing a lot of video watching on the Wacom tablets. I don’t have mine yet. I too was first going to go with the 4×6 Intuos3, but through everything I’ve seen, it looks like the 6×8 (Intuos3) would be the better choice. It looks like there’s more "control," and better "tablet-to-screen" cognition. Of course, that is only my opinion based on what I’ve seen.
J
Joel
Mar 11, 2008
Michael J wrote:

<snip>

Hey Joel thanks for the input. When I get my tablet in a couple days (ordered through Amazon) I plan on unplugging my mouse, putting it up in the closet and not looking back. If I might say, I think I’ll take to the tablet well. I used to have a precision thumb-track-ball that I used for design in Lightwave 3D. All my friends HATED that thing and could never get used to it. But I loved it from the start and could pretty much zip to and stop on a pixel on the display using it. I think the tablet will be much the same way. Before even getting it, it already seems more intuitive to my brain than the mouse.

*If* you really try then you should be able to get a hang of it within 1-2 weeks or so, then around 1 month you won’t need mouse any more. Then start mastering the pen.

Just like when we used mouse the first time we can’t be able to control the crazy pointer, and it took few weeks to get used to it. Same with PEN it’s no different than mouse, we just control the CURSOR using PEN instead of MOUSE.

*If* you can’t get rid of the mouse then 10-20 years later you still can’t master the pen. Or I was using PEN + MOUSE for around 6-7+ years and just can’t be able to master the pen, until I decided not to touch the mouse and I haven’t used mouse for over a decade now.
J
Joel
Mar 11, 2008
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

Using a 6×11 Intuits III with dual monitors. Took me awhile to get used
to
but once you get it down, a mouse feels like the most awkward way to ever
work in photoshop.
I found that angling the tablet made is much more comfortable than having
it
lay flat on the desk.

Good tip, I checked and the local Staples has a similar stand. I will check
it out.

The new drivers which I downloaded have a new feature called Quickpoint which I do not recall from when I bought the tablet. Its like having 2 tablets, one small and one large. I downloaded a tutorial from PhotoshopCafe as well.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

r.

About ALL tablets (even way way back to around 80’s when I first started using tablet) have option to create working areas. Or you can divide the big tablet into multiple smaller areas.
J
Joel
Mar 11, 2008
Dave wrote:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:57:22 -0500, Joel wrote:

"Rudy Benner" wrote:

lay flat on the desk.

Uncle Joel, you are a big bullshitter.
You said top posters go straight to your kill file.
How much of what you say is true?

Dave

I like to shit into your sensitive mouth. And yes, topper will be farted out <bg>
M
michael
Mar 11, 2008
Here’s an interesting question.

When they’re not making PS training videos, what do the "experts" use?

For example, when Deke Mcclelland does a PS DVD series, he always uses a mouse. Presumably because 99.9% of his viewers are using a mouse. But what does he (and other experts) use in his personal time? I wonder.
D
Dave
Mar 11, 2008
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:12:26 -0400, Michael J
wrote:

For example, when Deke Mcclelland does a PS DVD series, he always uses a mouse. Presumably because 99.9% of his viewers are using a mouse. But what does he (and other experts) use in his personal time? I wonder.

Why on earth would you call this ‘an interesting question’? It is general knowledge that we use graphic tablets.
Not necessarily ‘Wacom’ but graphic tablets, yes of course.

Dave
K
keepout
Mar 11, 2008
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:24:28 +0200, Dave wrote:

Why on earth would you call this ‘an interesting question’? It is general knowledge that we use graphic tablets.

I would wonder why even use a tablet at all ? IE: A scanner/printer/copier AIO is much more useful, and a colored pencil is much more accurate than any mechanical tool.

Basically just day dreaming about some past thing’s I’ve drawn, and cringed at the idea of using a mouse or a machine to add all those odor, heat squigglies. Crows feet on the eyes, etc.. stuff that I’d have to be moving from zoom out to zoom in etc.. constantly.

Where, just zap it in with pencil, and scan when finished would be so much simpler and better looking.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
J
Joel
Mar 11, 2008
Michael J wrote:

I don’t find any interesting at all <bg>

I guess Deke McClelland may be an experted on PS DVD whatever *but* not yet an experted on pen?
M
michael
Mar 11, 2008

wrote:

Dave

Ok, I guess I didn’t mean "interesting" as in an earth-shattering epiphany or anything. Let me rephrase. I am CURIOUS as to what the "experts" use on a day to day basis.
D
Dave
Mar 12, 2008
, Michael J wrote:

It is general knowledge that we use graphic tablets.
Dave

Let me rephrase. I am CURIOUS as to what the
"experts" use on a day to day basis.

We use graphic tablets when working with precision work and mouse for basic work, Michael. Precision work (or detailed work) like drawings and basic work like when doing normal crop work or working on the layer buttons.

Dave
J
Joel
Mar 12, 2008
Michael J wrote:

wrote:

Dave

Ok, I guess I didn’t mean "interesting" as in an earth-shattering epiphany or anything. Let me rephrase. I am CURIOUS as to what the "experts" use on a day to day basis.

Me? I am a very normal guy so I usually do the normal thinking to keep me up to date. So my wild guess is both experts and normal people use whatever they know best or whatever tool/technique they already mastered.

Example right right I don’t know exactly what you have mastered (English may be or at least comparing to my poor English), but I bet you that when your tablet arrive (you will be a owner and user by then) you still find mouse is much easier. And just like many tablet owners who haven’t tried hard enough and 10-20 years later they still can’t master the PEn even they do real well with the regular ink pen or pencil which they never compare to mouse.

Or I don’t know how much you know Photoshop so I assume you are an experted on Photoshop, and someone sees you switching back and forth between mouse and pen then they may wonder the samething when you see Deke switching back and forth between mouse and pen.
M
michael
Mar 12, 2008
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:08:04 +0200, Dave wrote:

, Michael J wrote:

Dave

We use graphic tablets when working with precision work and mouse for basic work, Michael. Precision work (or detailed work) like drawings and basic work like when doing normal crop work or working on the layer buttons.

Dave

Understood. I just received my Intuos3 today. As a matter of fact I’m using it now, and I must say, I love it already. There was so much talk about putting the mouse away that I didn’t quite understand if "full time" PS users ever went back to the mouse after using the tablet. But what you’ve said makes sense.

However I’m going to do nothing but use the tablet for the next week, in PS and general navigation to get completely comfortable and efficient in using it.

Once again, I can’t say enough how much I love this tablet.
RB
Rudy Benner
Mar 12, 2008
"Michael J" wrote in message

, Michael J wrote:

Dave

Dave

Understood. I just received my Intuos3 today. As a matter of fact I’m using it now, and I must say, I love it already. There was so much talk about putting the mouse away that I didn’t quite understand if "full time" PS users ever went back to the mouse after using the tablet. But what you’ve said makes sense.

However I’m going to do nothing but use the tablet for the next week, in PS and general navigation to get completely comfortable and efficient in using it.

What size did you get?
M
michael
Mar 13, 2008
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:40:49 -0500, Joel wrote:

Michael J wrote:

wrote:

Dave

Me? I am a very normal guy so I usually do the normal thinking to keep me up to date. So my wild guess is both experts and normal people use whatever they know best or whatever tool/technique they already mastered.
Example right right I don’t know exactly what you have mastered (English may be or at least comparing to my poor English), but I bet you that when your tablet arrive (you will be a owner and user by then) you still find mouse is much easier. And just like many tablet owners who haven’t tried hard enough and 10-20 years later they still can’t master the PEn even they do real well with the regular ink pen or pencil which they never compare to mouse.

Or I don’t know how much you know Photoshop so I assume you are an experted on Photoshop, and someone sees you switching back and forth between mouse and pen then they may wonder the samething when you see Deke switching back and forth between mouse and pen.

Hey Joel, I just received my tablet today. As far as PS goes, I had been using it on and off for about the past 8 years. Initial learning was trial an error. Then I took a basic class, bought the best DVD tutorials/classes I could find which increased my knowledge tremendously. I consider myself an intermediate PS user.

I’m using the pen in PS now. Surprisingly, I’m not frustrated with it. In fact, the more I use it the more I like it. As a test, I already did a "cutout" of a person from a background using the tablet and the pen tool in PS. I did almost as well as I would have using the mouse. But with each new thing I do using the tablet and pen in PS, it gets better and easier. Within a week, perhaps several days, I believe I will be doing much BETTER than I ever could with the mouse. It is just so much easier to be precise.

And using the pen pressure level to control the opacity of a layer mask in combination with blending modes to create a collage, I have a level of control and creativity that could NEVER be matched by the mouse! I am very happy with this new tablet.

As Dave said above, I think once a person has gone through what’s necessary to master the pen, it’s then ok to use the mouse for the simple "5 minute" jobs. And for precision, use the pen. Who would want to use anything else? I’m still considering just how I want to set up my pen and express buttons, but other than that this thing is fantastic.
M
michael
Mar 13, 2008
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:29:43 -0400, "Rudy Benner" wrote:

, Michael J wrote:

Dave

Dave

What size did you get?

Hey Rudy, I got the 6×8 Intuos3. I think I should qualify this though. Initially I was going to go with the 4×6, but went with the lager version instead and am glad I did, here’s why:

When I was using my track ball, I had the speed of the pointer set to it’s highest level. I like to be able to move the cursor quickly without having to make a ton of turns on the ball. However, I could still be accurate even though the pointer moved quite fast. Call it a "gift," I don’t know.

That being said, I currently have my 6×8 tablet set up so that the upper left quadrant of the tablet (about a 3×4 area) is mapped to the entire display. I find I can move the cursor anywhere on the display without having to slide my hand all over the tablet this way (at the expense of a bit of accuracy of course). However, If I need to be extremely accurate, I can quickly remap the display to the entire pad again.

Just something some people might not realize you can do with these things.
RB
Rudy Benner
Mar 13, 2008
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:29:43 -0400, "Rudy Benner" wrote:

, Michael J wrote:

Dave

Dave

What size did you get?

Hey Rudy, I got the 6×8 Intuos3. I think I should qualify this though. Initially I was going to go with the 4×6, but went with the lager version instead and am glad I did, here’s why:

When I was using my track ball, I had the speed of the pointer set to it’s highest level. I like to be able to move the cursor quickly without having to make a ton of turns on the ball. However, I could still be accurate even though the pointer moved quite fast. Call it a "gift," I don’t know.

That being said, I currently have my 6×8 tablet set up so that the upper left quadrant of the tablet (about a 3×4 area) is mapped to the entire display. I find I can move the cursor anywhere on the display without having to slide my hand all over the tablet this way (at the expense of a bit of accuracy of course). However, If I need to be extremely accurate, I can quickly remap the display to the entire pad again.

I have a trackball for each computer.
J
Joel
Mar 13, 2008
Michael J wrote:

, Michael J wrote:

Dave

Dave

I am glad you decide to give the PEN a real work out, and I hope you can be able to end the mouse within 2-3 weeks. It was my very own experience and I try to share with others hoping they can be able to master the pen to enjoy it as suppose to. Or it took me many years to decide to get rid of the mouse, and it took me few weeks to do it.
J
Joel
Mar 13, 2008
Michael J wrote:

<snip>
What size did you get?

Well, if you want speed then the smaller the faster speed, because no matter if the size if 4×6 inches or 4×6 miles the active area will match the monitor size no matter if it’s 20" or 20′
J
Joel
Mar 13, 2008
Michael J wrote:

<snip>

Hey Joel, I just received my tablet today. As far as PS goes, I had been using it on and off for about the past 8 years. Initial learning was trial an error. Then I took a basic class, bought the best DVD tutorials/classes I could find which increased my knowledge tremendously. I consider myself an intermediate PS user.
I’m using the pen in PS now. Surprisingly, I’m not frustrated with it. In fact, the more I use it the more I like it. As a test, I already did a "cutout" of a person from a background using the tablet and the pen tool in PS. I did almost as well as I would have using the mouse. But with each new thing I do using the tablet and pen in PS, it gets better and easier. Within a week, perhaps several days, I believe I will be doing much BETTER than I ever could with the mouse. It is just so much easier to be precise.

And using the pen pressure level to control the opacity of a layer mask in combination with blending modes to create a collage, I have a level of control and creativity that could NEVER be matched by the mouse! I am very happy with this new tablet.

As Dave said above, I think once a person has gone through what’s necessary to master the pen, it’s then ok to use the mouse for the simple "5 minute" jobs. And for precision, use the pen. Who would want to use anything else? I’m still considering just how I want to set up my pen and express buttons, but other than that this thing is fantastic.

As I have mentioned that using pen for selecting is almost like using mouse, or not much advantage here. But if you do lot of retouching or using tool like Masking (not creating a Masked file but using Mask tool), Erasing, Cloning etc. then you will love the pen even more.

Example Erasing is usually one of several tools I usually use together with Masking, and I usually set the Opacity = very low, so instead of applying the erase 2-3 with pen I can go over 10-15 times. And with pen you can do any angle without having to keep the pen to any specific position (like mouse).
S
someone
Mar 18, 2008
I got an A4 size tablet in December from Aldi, the brand name is Medion and it was only about
D
Dave
Mar 19, 2008
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:53:14 -0000, "someone" wrote:

I got an A4 size tablet in December from Aldi, the brand name is Medion and it was only about £29.95. It’s brilliant.

s.

"RobertJM" wrote in message
I’ve also been looking at the Bamboo tablets , you can get one for £50/60 , but are these small ones (6×4?) a waste of time? or is there better value-for-money out there.
Probably only use it in PS etc.

This is what I keep on saying.
I am using a Genius tablet (6×8) and I do with it what ever can be done with Wacom. The price is very reasonable, much more than the Wacom products. There is more brands than only one.

Dave
PD
Paul D Moore
Mar 23, 2008
"someone" wrote in message
I got an A4 size tablet in December from Aldi, the brand name is Medion and it was only about
J
Joel
Mar 24, 2008
"Paul D Moore" wrote:

<snip>
I’ver got both an A4, the one from Aldi, and a Wacom. A6 (6 x4) Both have their uses. The larger tablet is great for drawing or painting; the larger size makes it easy to do brush strokes like real drawing/painting. However for Photoshop use I find it too large. The small 6 x 4 tablet is better for this. As it is only the size of a mouse mat it sits where I would normally use a mouse. However, the small size is not suitable for drawing/painting work.

The wacom has a far superior pen and is a dream to use; the Aldi one has a pen which is heavy and relatively clumsy. Hope this helps.
PDM.

I don’t do painting often and the 4×6 wrks just fine for my painting need. And I can agree with you about the size difference, and larger size is better or required for CAD work, or tracing.

Or if you like to move your whole hand instead of just the wrist then larger size may be what you need, but just for drawing/painting then just about any size would do.
PD
Paul D Moore
Mar 25, 2008
"Joel" wrote in message
"Paul D Moore" wrote:

<snip>
I’ver got both an A4, the one from Aldi, and a Wacom. A6 (6 x4) Both have their uses. The larger tablet is great for drawing or painting; the larger
size makes it easy to do brush strokes like real drawing/painting. However
for Photoshop use I find it too large. The small 6 x 4 tablet is better for
this. As it is only the size of a mouse mat it sits where I would normally
use a mouse. However, the small size is not suitable for drawing/painting work.

The wacom has a far superior pen and is a dream to use; the Aldi one has a
pen which is heavy and relatively clumsy. Hope this helps.
PDM.

I don’t do painting often and the 4×6 wrks just fine for my painting need. And I can agree with you about the size difference, and larger size is better or required for CAD work, or tracing.

Or if you like to move your whole hand instead of just the wrist then larger size may be what you need, but just for drawing/painting then just about any size would do.

Adding to this: the trouble with large tablets is they are tiring to use. I use the small one for most of my work too. It is the one I would buy if I could only afford one.

PDM
J
Joel
Mar 25, 2008
"Paul D Moore" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message
"Paul D Moore" wrote:

<snip>
I’ver got both an A4, the one from Aldi, and a Wacom. A6 (6 x4) Both have their uses. The larger tablet is great for drawing or painting; the larger
size makes it easy to do brush strokes like real drawing/painting. However
for Photoshop use I find it too large. The small 6 x 4 tablet is better for
this. As it is only the size of a mouse mat it sits where I would normally
use a mouse. However, the small size is not suitable for drawing/painting work.

The wacom has a far superior pen and is a dream to use; the Aldi one has a
pen which is heavy and relatively clumsy. Hope this helps.
PDM.

Adding to this: the trouble with large tablets is they are tiring to use. I use the small one for most of my work too. It is the one I would buy if I could only afford one.

PDM

I started with the large ones before 2-3 12×12", 1 9×12", and 2 4×5", and I like the smallest the most. Quality, I like the older ones as they were much better in quality than the newer Wacom which is good tablet but poor quality.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections