JL
Posted By
john_l_peters
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wonder in anyone else has experienced the problem that I am presently trying to solve.

I am running Photoshop 7.0 on a Macintosh PowerBook G4 (800 MHz, 1024 Gb RAM). Under OS X 10.2 “Jaguar,” Photoshop runs fine. However, when I upgraded to OS X 10.3 “Panther,” I am suddenly experiencing the following problems:

(1) When making a selection using the marquee tool, I should be able to reposition the marquee while dragging by holding down the space bar. However, when I do so, the marquee freezes in place and then will move very jerkily and uncontrollably only when I drag quickly; when I drag slowly, the marquee does not move at all.

(2) If I am working on a document that is larger that the window, I should be able to hold down the space bar and drag the document around the open window to reposition it (i.e. holding down the space bar temporarily changes the current tool to the hand tool). However, under “Panther,” the document will not reposition at all, or will do so jerkily and uncontrollable if I try to drag quickly.

Some remedies that I have tried to correct this problem:

* I have upgraded the operating system to OS X 10.3.3
* I have reinstalled “Panther”
* I have erased the hard drive, then installed “Panther” as a new install * I have erased the hard drive, then reinstalled “Jaguar” and Photoshop was once again working correctly. Later, I again upgraded to “Panther” and the problems resurfaced
* The Apple Store keeps telling me to just keep on reinstalling “Panther” over and over, always saying that I am just installing “Panther” and the 10.3.3 upgrade and Photoshop in an incorrect order
* Apple Technical Support told me to just purchase Photoshop CS * I have searched the Adobe Website, but have not found any known issues similar to what I am experiencing
* I have upgraded to Photoshop 7.0.1, but that did not correct the problem * I have run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with my PowerBook and everything passed

Incidentally, I have experienced similar problems with other program, including Illustrator, InDesign, Macromedia Freehand and QuarkXPress. However, Apple tells me that the problem is with Photoshop.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

John L. Peters
Brookfield, IL

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections