J
Posted By
jlynn
Sep 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
recently received a file with fonts that are missing on my computer. the file has fonts, however they are not able to be installed
because they are corrupted. The file was created on a mac os. I am working in windows xp.
thank you for your advice.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 16, 2003
You can try to obtain the original fonts used and install them on your system, or replace the fonts in the file with other fonts that you already own. What is the file type? You may ask the person who created the document to resave it in a format where the fonts are rasterized, which would not require the enduser to have the fonts.

Rich
J
jlynn
Sep 19, 2003
to work around the situation i took your second piece of advice and matched some fonts to the original, and second i received a tiff image as well as the layered image so used the tiff with the fonts embedded.

if someone were to receive a file
would they be able to produce the text the same if they rasterized the fonts vs. flattened the image.
or simply put
is rasterizing and flattening the same as converting to paths in freehand

thank you
jlynn
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 19, 2003
jlynn,

Flattening rasterizes the whole image into a single layer, but you can also rasterize (simplify in Elements parlance) a single layer if you want to send the layered document, but still have the fonts changed to pixels instead of vectors, to avoid the types of conflicts you described. Rasterized fonts will retain the appearance of the orignial font type, but will not be editable.

It is not the same as converting to paths. Paths are vector outlines of the font that can be read on a machine without the fonts. Rasterizing converts the entire font to pixels, so you will get pixellation if you zoom way in or enlarge a lot.

Rich

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections