GA
Posted By
Gordon_Anderson
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any thoughts on what would be the best way to "ghost" an image back to about a 5-10% value? Seems like it should be easy but I can’t find anything on a forum search and I’m sure some people have better ways to do it than what I’m coming up with. Thanks.

Gordon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
Apr 27, 2005
Just change the opacity. It’s in the layers palette.

Bob
PH
Photo_Help
Apr 27, 2005
CTRL+U (Lightness to between 90 & 95)

Or

CTRL+J (To duplicate the background)
Press the number 1 on your keyboard to set the opacity to 10 ALT+[ (To select the background layer)
Shift+F5 (To fill the background layer with white)

These are just a couple of the many ways to get the same effect.

Edit: Like Bob said.
GA
Gordon_Anderson
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks Bob and Photo. I’ve been experimenting myself but rather than guessing I thought it’s better to have the pros viewpoint on this.

Gordon
GA
Gordon_Anderson
Apr 27, 2005
One more question please. On the Layers pallet, the original photograph (on Layer 1) has the Opacity info grayed out. I dragged this layer down to "Duplicate Layer" and then turned the visibility off on Layer 1 to manipulate the opacity in the Duplicate Layer. Is this the right way to do it or am I heading in the wrong direction. Thanks.

Gordon
D
deebs
Apr 27, 2005
Gordon – I don’t know if it is the case here but to adjust a layer there is (usually) a double toggle.

The Layer should be active (1) and viewed (2) (in practical terms in the Layers Pallet – the layer has an ‘eye’ and is shaded (default is blue) in the layers stack)
GA
Gordon_Anderson
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks deebs. I am basically familiar with those items, but on the original layer there is a lock on it and the Opacity (above it) is grayed out so you can’t adjust it. If I click on this original layer and drag it on to "Create New Layer" it makes a copy on a "second" layer that is now adjustable using the Opacity settings at top (they’re activated). I’m wondering if I just adjust the Opacity on this new Background layer and then delete the old, original layer? Thanks again.

Gordon
D
deebs
Apr 27, 2005
I think the Background layer is default locked for a reason

I too use the duplicate layer for working on and on a few occasions have been thankful that the Background has been locked
PP
Philip_Peterson
Apr 27, 2005
You could also double click on the background layer to turn it into a regular layer that you can adjust opacity on.
D
deebs
Apr 27, 2005
I, for one, am grateful for the default lock on Background

Sometimes like several layers down the road it can be really handy to have the original untouched image way down there at the foot of a stack (IMHO)
GA
Gordon_Anderson
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks all.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 27, 2005
You can always ghost the image in InDesign
M
Marcel
Apr 27, 2005
Please how?
Marcel

wrote in message
You can always ghost the image in InDesign

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections