Mike Russell
Mar 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"Joel" wrote in message
[re recovery of photos]
I have heard of PhotoRescue nearly a decade or so ago, but never used it myself to know how well it works. But my understanding that it can recover
the deleted photo, and read/copy photo can’t be copy/read using Windows Explorer or regular File Manager etc..

Recovery programs generally scan the card or hard drive, looking for blocks of data that look like they belong to an image.

But I wonder if it can recover the damaged (*not* deleted) photo? What I have in mind that "Can’t Read" is some type of directory problem, when "Damged" is *part* of DATA been destroyed or changed.

The specific internals are proprietary, but I imagine these programs can locate data that has been lost, as well as recover from certain data errors. For example if the length of the file is wrong, there may be additional data available on the raw disk image. Or it may be possible to recover from missing blocks of tagged data, if the remainder of the image is intact.

Or the Data Rescue can rescue the complete DATA *but* a small part of data seems pretty tough (I am just guessing).

I’d recommend that you run the eval version of one of the programs and see if it finds any images. Here’s PhotoRescue’s free download – as I said I have not done a survey, and there are other excellent data recovery programs. I do recommend that you use one that is specifically designed to recover images. Don’t forget to re-scan the original flash card – images can hang around there for months if you do not fill the card. http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/download.htm

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
tja
Mar 1, 2008
After a hard disk crash I`ll found a few jpeg`s. But I`ll can`t open them. There is still information in 3,70 mb for example, but it`s not possible to open the icon.
does somebody know what kind of possibilties there are left??

Harry
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 1, 2008
"tja" wrote in message
After a hard disk crash I`ll found a few jpeg`s. But I`ll can`t open them. There is still information in 3,70 mb for example, but it`s not possible to open the icon.

Hi Harry,

Use a data recovery program, preferably one that is designed to find images. I’ve used PhotoRescue in the past with good success, and there are other good products. Generally you can download a demo version that will show you what it thinks it can recover, after which you can decide whether to buy or not.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
S
samandjanet
Mar 1, 2008
tja wrote:
Harry

Ooooh. Great question. I’m gonna watch this one for replies, as I’ve had similar problems in the past and could never find a solution.
J
Joel
Mar 1, 2008
"tja" wrote:

Harry

Well, it’s pretty hard to give any any specific answer, but in general.

1. You may try to use some type of DATA Recovery program see if you can recover the delated data. But the util may be able to recover the delete, but may not be able to undo the damaged? But I may be wrong and you can always hope for the best.

2. Now we may need to use different technique. As most of Photoshop users know Photoshop is a Photo Editor *not* Photo Viewer so its requirement is more than Photo Viewer, or it may refuse to open the damaged or renamed extension.

So, you may try to open the damaged photo with a regular Image Viewer, then SAVE to whatever format you want. Then Photoshop should be able to open it.

3. Next time, try to save to CD or DVD.
C
catfish
Mar 1, 2008
"\(not quite so\) Fat Sam" wrote:
tja wrote:
Harry

Ooooh. Great question. I’m gonna watch this one for replies, as I’ve had similar problems in the past and could never find a solution.

try opening with Irfanview – sometimes this will work.
J
Joel
Mar 1, 2008
"Mike Russell" wrote:

"tja" wrote in message

Hi Harry,

Use a data recovery program, preferably one that is designed to find images. I’ve used PhotoRescue in the past with good success, and there are other good products. Generally you can download a demo version that will show you what it thinks it can recover, after which you can decide whether to buy or not.

I have heard of PhotoRescue nearly a decade or so ago, but never used it myself to know how well it works. But my understanding that it can recover the deleted photo, and read/copy photo can’t be copy/read using Windows Explorer or regular File Manager etc..

But I wonder if it can recover the damaged (*not* deleted) photo? What I have in mind that "Can’t Read" is some type of directory problem, when "Damged" is *part* of DATA been destroyed or changed.

Or the Data Rescue can rescue the complete DATA *but* a small part of data seems pretty tough (I am just guessing).
J
Joel
Mar 2, 2008
"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message
[re recovery of photos]
I have heard of PhotoRescue nearly a decade or so ago, but never used it myself to know how well it works. But my understanding that it can recover
the deleted photo, and read/copy photo can’t be copy/read using Windows Explorer or regular File Manager etc..

Recovery programs generally scan the card or hard drive, looking for blocks of data that look like they belong to an image.

The specific internals are proprietary, but I imagine these programs can locate data that has been lost, as well as recover from certain data errors. For example if the length of the file is wrong, there may be additional data available on the raw disk image. Or it may be possible to recover from missing blocks of tagged data, if the remainder of the image is intact.

That makes me wonder how the program know the difference between modified vs damaged etc.. And as I said I know and believe some util can recover the deleted, formatted because the information is still there (unless it’s overwritten by newer data), but damaged JPG is damaged to Graphic Viewer *but* not to File Manager. This makes me wonder, but I am only guessing.

I’d recommend that you run the eval version of one of the programs and see if it finds any images. Here’s PhotoRescue’s free download – as I said I have not done a survey, and there are other excellent data recovery programs. I do recommend that you use one that is specifically designed to recover images. Don’t forget to re-scan the original flash card – images can hang around there for months if you do not fill the card. http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/download.htm

As I have mentioned that I have heard about PhotoRescue more/less a decade ago when it was first released to public, the author posted the info and link to the Digital Camera group (I stop monitoring for 6-7+ years now), then I see more and more of similar popping out in recent years (even some memory card company even have their own version, some come free with the memory card). Yes, I have downloaded some of them 2-3 times but I have never had any problem to try any of them yet. And yes, I have heard some successed reports from several, but they were either can’t read or deleted etc. but not damaged which can be read/copied but doesn’t display right.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections