SG
Posted By
Scottie_G.
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
You make buch of seperate layers, retouch skin, hair, bg, etc, and then I find some don’t work or show, and then need to shuffle them around to get them to show. What is the general rule on this? thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Apr 27, 2005
The general rule is that anything with data in it will often obscure whatever is beneath it.
SG
Scottie_G.
Apr 28, 2005
Ok did test and right.
PUt a bg copy. then went back to bg, and painted — But I had to turn off the upper copy to see the painting, then turned upper copy on and the painting was gone.

Now in real life, I usually don’t do just that, but geez, if you’ve got 5 or six layers, 1/2 adjustments, and 1/2 bg copies, how do you all keep organized what is visible at a giving time?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 28, 2005
How do you all keep organized what is visible at a giving time?

Using layers sets (layer groups in PS2)

But I had to turn off the upper copy to see the painting, then turned upper copy on and the painting was gone.

Read again: "Anything with data in it will often obscure whatever is beneath it." ALT+click the visibility icon next to the layer that hides the background one (so that only that layer shows).
Isn’t there content exactly where you did not see the changes you made on the background?

Scottie, you need to look at the problems with different angles.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 28, 2005
how do you all keep organized what is visible at a giving time?

What Pierre said.

Also try this:

Lets say you need to retouch the face and alter something on the clothes but want to keep the edits on separate layers. Instead of simply duplicating the background layer, first make a selection of the face and hit Ctrl+J. This will create a new layer containing only the face.

Activate the background layer again and do the same for the clothes.

Now you can perform the edits on the relevant layers whilst the rest of the background layer shows through the transparency.

Tip: If you click the ‘lock transparency’ button in the layers palette it will prevent any accidental ‘overspill’ of your retouch.

Hope all this helps.

Chris.
SG
Scottie_G.
Apr 29, 2005
thanks, nice tips.
Chris, what was getting hairy, was then I might then want to use the clone tool, but it was grabbing pixels from an older version or layer, but I got some relief with the "stamp visible" trick.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections