victor_maldonado
Apr 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, Beautiful Photoshop People πŸ™‚

OT:

My old skool 22" Cinema Monitor just came back from Apple Repair. Apple picked it up on Friday at noon and I received it today Wednesday at about 10:00 a.m., it was only gone for fewer than 6 days. I’m impressed.

Back to Photoshopping.

Be well.

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 8, 2004
Victor,

I have one of them too and wondered how much replacing the backlighting costs? That may be an option for me not far down the road, though at present I don’t have any noticeable issues…

Thanks for any info you might share about the cost, process, and results.
VM
victor_maldonado
Apr 8, 2004
Hey, hey, Welles πŸ™‚

I have one of them too and wondered how much replacing the backlighting costs?

22"CinemaDisplayRepair < http://www.info.apple.com/support/applecare_products/service /display_service.html>

Scroll down to the bottom OOW Flat Rate repair and you’ll see the cost. They do not include tax on parts nor shipping, I think my total bill was just a little over $500.00. Do not let them charge you $2100.00 to repair the monitor like the first tech guy was trying to do to me. That price is for monitors that have had their serial numbers defaced, or the monitor has been damaged or misused.

My monitor had the two short one long amber power light thing going on and the lower third was dimming intermittently.

I have to tell I was a little moved when I let my Cinema monitor leave with the AirBourne guy, like seeing my kid go off to school for the first day.

Good luck. Should you have any questions let me know πŸ™‚

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 8, 2004
Thanks! I don’t have any issue with my Cinema Display presently but I’ve always wondered how much brightness is lost over a three year period and if I should just go ahead and have the backlighting replaced. I guess I’ll wait but $500 to keep this one alive is worth it!
VM
victor_maldonado
Apr 8, 2004
Hello, Welles πŸ™‚

but I’ve always wondered how much brightness is lost over a three year period

I received mine December 23, 1999 and being new to computers I really did not know how to take good care of my monitor, like leaving it on all the time and never shutting it off. Now, I shut it off when I’m not going to use it, buff it, clean it, kiss it,… OK, maybe not kiss it. I don’t think mine ever lost any noticable brightness except for the lower third but I could be wrong.

be well πŸ™‚

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 8, 2004
Victor,

I got mine in Sept., 2000 and have always had the monitor go to sleep if there is no use for 10 minutes and it gets turned off every night. I had read rather extensively about extending the life of the monitor before I ever plugged it in. I don’t perceive any dimming either but have always wondered simply because CRTs do change significantly over a similar period.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 8, 2004
I completely lost my lower third a year ago. Think I’d purchased it in 2000 as well. After perfect performance, it just gave up (1/3) the ghost on me one morning when I booted up. The repair was closer to $700 back then (for some reason), but the process with Apple was swift and courteous. I’m staring into that same display as I type this without a care in the world.

I kiss my monitor.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2004
Repair costs like these, after just a couple of years, would keep me away from Cinema Monitors.

CRTs may be heavy and bulky but they keep going for far longer — and you can buy a new one for little more than the price of changing (this sort of) lightbulb.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 8, 2004
Ann,

I’ve had three and a half years of uninterrupted perfect service with no end in sight, not ‘just a couple.’ Personally, I wouldn’t use a CRT primary monitor ( um…so what?! ). Likes and dislikes are like elbows, most everybody has a couple but I’ll stick with mine.
P
Phosphor
Apr 8, 2004
I’m a big guy who has no qualms about lugging around a big CRT monitor. Even so, it’s not like I have to do it but maybe once a year when I do a major dust-bunny cleaning and of my office space.

Plus, they absolutely fit my finances better.

No doubt, I wouldn’t mind having an additional set-up with a big Cinema display, but for money, CRT is the way to go.
VM
victor_maldonado
Apr 9, 2004
Like Doug said,

the process with Apple was swift and courteous.

I have to say ditto with this. I felt like I was dealing with a fellow artist instead of a grumpy person.

The two reasons I use a Cinema display my eyes aren’t strained after long periods of use and using Final Cut Pro on a Cinema display I can have all of the windows opened and still see what I’m editing clearly.

I still haven’t calibrated my monitor — yeah, yeah, yeah, dispense with the criticism. I kinda eye ball any changes I need to make when printing and I also rely on vector scopes for broadcast safe settings when working with video.

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
P
progress
Apr 9, 2004
my laptop LCD screen bulb died after 2 years…its so integrated its it costs more than the laptops worth to replace it.
VM
victor_maldonado
Apr 9, 2004
Hello, progress πŸ™‚

my laptop LCD screen bulb died after 2 years…its so integrated its it costs more than the laptops worth to replace it.

I know what you mean. I have an old Apple Power 100 that just died on me. I used it to email and do a little web surfing and write letters with claris. I’m toying with the idea of getting it fixed for sentimental reasons (I know, sick).

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
AW
Allen_Wicks
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, sick…

I use a PB3400c the same way, but when it dies like the battery did years ago, it will go direct to recycling.
VM
victor_maldonado
Apr 11, 2004
hello, Allen πŸ™‚

I use a PB3400c the same way, but when it dies like the battery did years ago, it will go direct to recycling.

ahhhhhhh πŸ™

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
P
Phosphor
Apr 11, 2004
My PowerComputing system is back to sitting in its original packing boxes, just waiting for the day of its resurrection (hmm…if I had the money, this would be a good weekend for it…heh) to act as a hardware firewall/printserver/MP3 jukebox/whatever…
VM
victor_maldonado
Apr 11, 2004
Hola, Phosphor πŸ™‚

My PowerComputing system is back to sitting in its original packing boxes, just waiting for the day of its resurrection (hmm…if I had the money, this would be a good weekend for it…heh) to act as a hardware firewall/printserver/MP3 jukebox/whatever…

Have you seen the people using macs and iSight to keep tabs on their property? Unfortunately, I do not have a link for it.

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
VM
victor_maldonado
Apr 12, 2004
Alright! Thanks, Welles πŸ™‚

love & peace,
victor πŸ™‚
AW
Allen_Wicks
Apr 12, 2004
But (generally) current apps/hardware from Apple like iSite require OSX. The effort of getting OS X on older Macs seems like it would not be worth the trouble.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 12, 2004
Allen,

I just put Panther on two Rev A iMacs. Each had 384mb RAM and 40gb hard drives. One of them had a Newer 466MHz upgrade card. They run extremely well and were definitely worth the trouble. What is most amazing is that they seem to run just as fast as OS9.2.2. In spite of all the hoopla about quartz extreme during Jaguar’s launch, and the necessity of having 32mb VRAM to maximize the potential, it doesn’t seem to faze the Rage IIc video cards which were upgraded to a whopping 6mb. Screen redraws are just fine. There was some serious system optimization for older Macs in Panther!
AW
Allen_Wicks
Apr 13, 2004
I am tempted to put OS X on my dad’s Wallstreet PB so we could use iSite. It sounds like it would work – but then I would have to train him on a new OS from 3000 miles away…
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 13, 2004
Hmmm, the VRAM limit of the Wallstreet could well be a problem with iSite. You might want to check the Apple Forums on that issue. Someone there is sure to have tried it and you could get some experiential feedback.
R
Ram
Apr 13, 2004
What’s the maximum amount of RAM a Wallstreet can take? (system RAM, not VRAM)

I have one sitting in the closet.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 13, 2004
RamΓ³n,

Apple still says 192mb based on the modules available when they last tested and created specs for the Wallstreet but the real number is 512mb. (Info gleaned from Mactracker app which has correct information about just about every Mac ever created.)
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Apr 13, 2004
I’ve been running OSX on my Lombard powerbook G3 333 192mb ram, for years. 10.3.3 works great, it’s just my internet connection, surfing, email etc., my other machines never run on the internet at all.

Works perfectly.
R
Ram
Apr 13, 2004
Thanks. I thought about maxing mine out with RAM and putting in USB card, but then I’d have to get a bigger drive Β…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections