JW
Posted By
jason weiner
Sep 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Are there any Epson 2200 users who can tell me what color management works the best? In particular, I am wondering if I should use "Printer Color Management" or "Same as Source" for my Print Space Profile (found in Print Preview). Also, which setting should I use in the Epson properties box? THANK YOU!
Jason

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 14, 2003
"jason weiner" wrote in message
Are there any Epson 2200 users who can tell me what
color management works the best?

I followed the instructions that came with the printer (I think they came with the printer…I did read this somewhere in some documentation 🙂 ).

In Elements, I set the color management to use the profile that matches the paper type I’m using. In the printer driver, I turn off color management by going to the "Advanced" options, choosing "ICM" for the color management, and selecting "None" in the settings drop-down.

I also tried some printouts using the default settings in the printer driver (which, of course, include the paper type profile, since you have to set that in the driver settings), leaving the settings in Elements to basically do nothing (I forget what I actually chose to do that though). I can’t say that I can really tell the difference between those two methods.

The one printout I did where I accidently allowed both Elements and the printer driver to do the color management, the photo printed out with very obviously incorrect color. So the color management is definitely doing something. It just appears to me that as long as you get one or the other of Elements and the printer driver, but not both, to do the color management, you’ll get a nice printout.

Pete
NS
Nancy S
Sep 14, 2003
Peter,

I am not understanding how you set PSE’s color management to a specific media profile. In version 1, using Full Color Management, you may choose Adobe RGB for profile, using Limited C.M. you may choose sRGB profile, using No C.M. you may choose your monitor profile. Is it that version 2 is so different?

Nancy
PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 14, 2003
"Nancy S" wrote in message
[…] In version 1, using Full Color
Management, you may choose Adobe RGB for profile, using
Limited C.M. you may choose sRGB profile, using No C.M.
you may choose your monitor profile. Is it that version 2 is so different?

I dunno. I’ve never used V1. However, the color management you’re talking about sounds like the document color management in Elements. That is, used for editing. What I’m talking about is a printing-specific feature.

In the Preview dialog in V2, there’s a setting you can choose under the Color Management that gives you access to all of the color profiles installed on your computer. With the Epson 2200, profiles that correspond to each kind of paper the printer knows about exist, and you just pick the one that goes with the paper you’re using.

Sorry I can’t be more specific. I don’t have Elements installed on this computer, so I can’t go look at the user interface just this moment. I do know that to display the options I’m talking about, you have to expand the dialog (there’s a button called "Advanced" or "More options" or something like that), and then you have to select "Color Management" from a top-level dropdown, which switches the options you can adjust to those that apply to color management for the printout.

While I replied because I’m using the exact same printer, and have done exactly what Jason is asking about, I suppose this same procedure is what anyone who has created a printer/paper-specific profile would wind up doing. I haven’t used the tools, but I gather you can get software that allows you to print a sample printout, scan it back in, and create a color profile that will adjust the colors so that what you scan is what comes out of the printer. Once one has created a profile that way, I’m guessing the method for getting Elements to take advantage of it is the same as for the built-in profiles that come with the Epson 2200.

Pete
NS
Nancy S
Sep 14, 2003
Pete,

I think my question originated from the fact that the media specific profiles, which you mentioned, I consider to be in the Epson Print Driver not PSE, hence my inability to comprehend. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Nancy
BB
brent bertram
Sep 14, 2003
Jason,
Ian Lyons has both a tutorial on Printing in Photoshop, and a review of his purchase an experience with the Epson 2100 ( similiar to the 2200 ) . Perhaps they’ll contain some answers .
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/epson2100/2100_1.htm> < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm> .

You are obviously in the right place ( Print Preview ) trying to select the output space profile. Generally, Printer Color Management will be your best bet ( unless you have a media specific profile ) . Reading the tutorial will show you that for printing to a media profile, " No Color Managemen" should be selected in the Epson driver advanced settings. There are several modes in the Epson advanced settings that are appropriate for use with the "Printer Color Management" output space profile.

Ian is much more articulate ( and knowledgeable ) than I , so check out the tutorial.

🙂

Brent
JW
jason weiner
Sep 14, 2003
Thanks for the reply’s. Peter–I didn’t realize that if one chooses a color profile for a specific paper type, then one should also choose in Printer Properties (advanced) the ICM–No Color Adjustment option as well. The Epson properties box gives you three choices: Color Controls, PhotoEnhance, and ICM–It is true that if you have a profile for the specific paper type you can ignore those features of the printer? Interesting.
Thanks, Brent for those articles. I’ll study them (again) but I think it is hard to boil down the advice for using PS7 to Elements.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE–I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
Jason
BB
brent bertram
Sep 14, 2003
Jason,
If you have a media profile, that profile contains all the information the color engine needs to take your color managed image and print it effectively. That’s the beauty of a good media profile, and the reason why "no color adjustment" is the right choice in the Epson Advanced settings.

Color Controls, PhotoEnhance, and Automatic are all valid options for using the "Printer Color Management" output space profile under "Print Preview".

ICM mode is only appropriate when used with the generic printer driver, listed in the Output Space Profile , and this is generally a poorer choice than either of the two above choices.

Printing in Elements is virtually identical to printing in Photoshop, though you have fewer color management options in Elements itself.

🙂

Brent
R
rapter
Sep 14, 2003
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:09:22 -0700, "jason weiner" wrote:

Are there any Epson 2200 users who can tell me what color management works the best? In particular, I am wondering if I should use "Printer Color Management" or "Same as Source" for my Print Space Profile (found in Print Preview). Also, which setting should I use in the Epson properties box? THANK YOU!
Jason
I had the same problem with the 2200. Under preferences, color picker I checked windows and my photos come out wonderful now.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections