C
Posted By
C._A._Tucker
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just finished installing the CS2 upgrade – launched the program and everything was fine. Noticed that CS was still installed and functioning, so to save on disk space I uninstalled CS. After that, CS2 would not open – it hung on the start-up screen. After minor hair-pulling and preparation to re-install CS, I decided to try disabling Norton Internet Security 2005. And, as you might guess, CS2 ran fine. Anyone else having this problem? Why did CS run with Norton and CS2 will not??

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BobLevine
Apr 25, 2005
You may very well have uninstalled a shared file that CS2 needed.

Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 26, 2005
No idea why Norton affected it. But you should probably ask them….
L
LinusF
Apr 26, 2005
Asking Symantec (owner of the Norton brand now) is usually a waste of time. Their first approach is to uninstall programs, and then start down a huge check list t make sure all their bits and pieces were actually uninstalled. Hours of your time. Lots of luck.
PM
Pete_Marshall
Apr 26, 2005
never , every, ever install Norton security.
It causes more problems than anyother bit of software know to man. If you have installed it, be prepared for a massive job of ever getting rid of it.
GB
George Bushit
Apr 26, 2005
never , every, ever install Norton security. It causes more problems than anyother bit of software know to man. If you have installed it, be prepared for a massive job of ever getting rid of it.

Really? Well, I’ve had it for quite some time now and I’ve only run into two problems. What kind of problems are you suggesting people are going to have if they install this?

I’ve really had a much better experience using NIS when compared to Trend Micro. Just out of curiousity, if you think NIS is bad, which do you recommend?

Note: I have not tried MacAffee in about 10 years.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 26, 2005
George,

I used NIS for quite some time, with no negative effects that I could ever attribute to it; however, I do think it was a pretty resource-hungry app. I scrapped it when it became an activation-based product, and now use Zone Alarm Pro. I like Zone Alarm overall, yet seem to find it still interferes at times with some processes that NIS seemed to leave alone. In any case, ZA works very well and has a super SPAM filter in the way of using MailFrontier’s technology. Although ZA Pro includes anti-virus software, that is one area where I think Symantec is better, so I use NAV2003, which doesn’t require activation.

Daryl
JH
Jake_Hannam
Apr 26, 2005
This has gotten a bit off-topic but I really like, and use, Trend Micro PCcillin Internet Security 2005. It is unobtrusive, is updated daily (sometimes more), and has never interfered with any software installations. It does not have activation but you do have to have a separate license for each machine (good for one year).

Most importantly, I have never gotten a virus or trojan with Trend Micro whereas I did on a number of occasions with NAV and McAfee. Price is competitive with the others. Installation is not the most intuitive and you do get a Windows security message that the firewall has been disabled but that is only because Trend Micro is now providing the firewall and Windows does not like that (you can turn off the error message). It also does not recognize MS-027 patch and occasionally tells me I need to get it (Windows XP has already installed it). Other than those very minor glitches, it is my AV and firewall of choice.

For what it’s worth …

Jake
PM
Pete_Marshall
Apr 26, 2005
use AVG as anti virus (its free and updated daily)
If you really need a firewall then XP’s will do.
Ad Adware (also free) will take care of most of the other internet rubbish. When ever people tell me they are having problems with Windows computers i find removing all trace of Noron fixes most of then and speeds up their system.
Most virus’s do no real harm and don’t hog as much memory as norton does. it is a virus itself 9and you have to pay to keep it updated)
Y
YrbkMgr
Apr 26, 2005

C. A. Tucker,

You may want to check to see that NIS is allowing CS2 to connect to the internet. I don’t use NIS (I use ZoneAlarm), but it may be that when the photoshop.exe tried to run NIS observed the data/size change and needs to be manually informed that it should be allowed to run/connect.

Just a guess, but worth looking into.
T
troyhark
Apr 26, 2005
I seem to recall that Norton used to interfere with PS7. Last year I foolishly decided to try it again, it caused no end of trouble and it was harder to remove than any virus. Had to flatten drive in end.
Am about to buy a new laptop and trying to find one I like without Norton!!! Cannot even do a fresh install without all the freebie software on laptop as there is no WinXP disc, only a full recovery with all the progs I don’t want/need on HD. That’ll be really handy if HD goes glitchy. Wonder if it fits on a DVD?
I use Zone Alarm, AVG and Opera for browsing and the last virus I had was Norton Utilities.
RO
Robert_Oliver
Apr 27, 2005
NIS has never caused problems for me, nor have I ever gotten a virus while using it.
N
NTD
Apr 27, 2005
Been using NIS since the beginning and (knock on wood) no installation problems to date. Hopefully this will still be true when I get my PSCS2 and install it…..
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Apr 27, 2005
Only problem I had was trying to stop the "Protected recycle bin".

The help files say to click on it and uncheck the box. Did it and it was still there. Still active. Tried several times, re-booted several times, uninstalled once. Then I called Symantec. They offered only one solution… format the hard drive!

Hmmm.. formatting the HD involves more than just that. Like installing Windows again, and the mobo drivers, and all my applications and all my data files and re-setting all my preferences for all the applications.

It’s still on and I STILL can’t turn it off 🙁
T
troyhark
Apr 27, 2005
Symantec’s official line regarding removal is to Format drive!! Mind you that’s what I had to do to rid machine of Norton. Shows what a nasty and invidious little bug it is.
Takes several days to reinstall everything again too and tweak all the settings. I’m sticking to AVG and ZoneAlarm. No viruses, no interferences with PS. BTW any antivrus scanning your harddrives will temp slow down machine.
C
C._A._Tucker
Apr 28, 2005
THIS INSTALLATION ISSUE IS NOW RESOLVED.

Prior to performing the steps below, CS2 would not open and would always freeze at "Initializing AGM".

I opened the main screen for Norton Internet Security 2005 and performed the following:

– SELECT Personal Firewall
– SELECT Configure
– SELECT Programs
– SELECT Program Scan

I selected ADOBE PHOTOSHOP from the list of programs and changed INTERNET ACCESS from "Automatic" to PERMIT ALL.

CS2 now launches and runs without any problems.

Thanks for all of the suggestions in previous posts.
VC
Vic_Culver
Apr 29, 2005
I just installed my CS2 program — no issues. The original CS program (icon) is still on the desktop and clicking on it brings up CS. Should I have both programs on the computer? Should I uninstall the original CS program? Seems silly to keep both on there. Vic
PM
Pete_Marshall
Apr 29, 2005
Keep it
if you uninstall a previous version the new version may not work as they share some file. Also point your second plug in folder at the folder within CS to use CS’s plug ins (that stll work) within CS2.
This also means that if you use a plug in in CS that no longer works in CS2 you can open CS to use the file.
After you have done this you may recieve some error messages when CS2 loads regarding CS2’s ability to load certain plug-ins. This ariseses in my case because I had plug ins in PS 7 which no longer work in CS2. As my copy of CS had its second plug in folder pointing to PS 7 CS2 attempted to load them and I recieved error messages. It can be resolved by removing PS 7’s plug in folder from CS (or just ignored).
Photoshop always leaves a previous copy of itself behind when installing a new version. This is a good practise for an application (and one other software manufacturers should follow) and is especially usful if you have problems with the new version. It dosn’t take up that much space on your hard disk, so I would strongly urge you to leave it alone.
VC
Vic_Culver
Apr 29, 2005
Thank you, Pete. That makes all kinds of sense. I hadn’t had CS long enough <G> to develop a heavy plug-in ‘catalog’ so I hope I won’t have problems with that. As a matter of fact, I hadn’t even downloaded the Camera Raw update (I just started shooting with the D20 which gives me RAW as an option). Onward and upward. Thanks again. Vic

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections