T
Posted By
Tempe
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am considering upgrading to the full CS suite shortly & usually get burned by buying end-of-cycle products. Anyone have a guesstimate as to the CS2 timeline? (used to be around 18 months for Photoshop upgrades)

Or will a free CS1.5 patch/upgrade version pop up first?

TIA

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 7, 2004
Adobe does not comment on release dates of products.
T
Tempe
Apr 7, 2004
Well, anyone NOT gainfully employed by Adobe may feel free to comment. (hence the user-to-user header)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
As this version has only been out for about six months, I reckon that you will have a long wait on the sidelines if you are going to sit it out until CS2.

And who can tell if CS2 will even offer the complete Suite as an Upgrade to existing owners of Photoshop 7.
B
Buko
Apr 7, 2004
I heard they were releasing CS2 next week. B)
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Apr 7, 2004
Also, sometimes there is no ".5" release… and if there is one planned, it probably won’t be free.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 7, 2004
Notice that there is no dot release for CS?
L
Larryr544
Apr 7, 2004
CSdot
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
But there have been dot releases for a number of its components: InDesign, Illustrator, GoLive, Acrobat Pro. Can Photoshop be far behind?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Apr 7, 2004
Sure would be nice if they did some of the things that should have been in the original PSCS. Like making Web Photo Gallery modifiable in a meaningful Photoshop-quality way.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
That’s why we have a Suite, Allen, so that you can then make further tweaks in GoLive.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 7, 2004
Can Photoshop be far behind? <

hmm..
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
I notice that is only a "hmm" — not a "hmmm".

Closer than we think, perhaps?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 7, 2004
or not at all.

mhh..

who the hell am I to say.

so I go from fool to a misunderstood genius in one year.

what next…
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Notice that there is no dot release for CS

Good opportunity to go to 8.x and dump the monumental silliness of "CS".
J
JasonSmith
Apr 7, 2004
Yeah, when’s the CS.01 update coming out?
B
Buko
Apr 7, 2004
When is the Adobe update going to be released?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 7, 2004
hmm..
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Apr 7, 2004
We have updated CameraRaw to v2.1 for CS and are also looking to address a couple of MP specific issues via a plugin update, we are also evaluating some tile size tweaks that we may release. At this time, these are the only updates planned for Photoshop CS.

Edit: As Thomas has mentioned, we will supply periodic updates to CameraRaw to include new camera support. (also added tile size info)

–steph
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
Thank you Stephanie for keeping us in the loop.

[Actually, Photoshop 8 has proved an exemplary release here.]
J
JasonSmith
Apr 7, 2004
And there you have it – the most information regarding upgrades you will ever see from an Adobe employee.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 7, 2004

[Actually, Photoshop 8 has proved an exemplary release here.] <

hmm..

she blinded me with science.
P
progress
Apr 8, 2004
steph – could you have a look at the "ignore colour space space" warning on saving actions that doesnt work bug please and the Export paths to illustrator drops ".ai" extension off bug as well for the .x release….thanks
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 8, 2004
Ann,

Correction there has not been a dot release or any update for Illustrator CS.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2004
You are right, Wade — my mistake. (I should have checked!) ——

There is one problem with Photoshop 8, which hopefully will be addressed in the dot-release, and that concerns the image-deterioration that occurs if you Transform/Rotate in an anti-clockwise direction.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 8, 2004
The other little problem is the absence of a dual scroll History palette….
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 8, 2004
and what happens when there is no dot release?
L
LRK
Apr 8, 2004
We need a dot release for sure. There are issues… and a special request that I have made a few times.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2004
Doug:

You are so right.
The lack of that second scroller drives me nuts every minute of every Photoshopping day!

I have been PLEADING for this since the History Palette first made its most welcome appearance but have been told by the Adobe guys here that it cannot be added to a dot release.

I can’t believe that it would too difficult to add such a feature — and I would even consider using a Hack if anyone knows how to write one!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 8, 2004
Traditionally. dot releases are for bug fixes and not the implementation of new features.

Features are added at pre Alpha, and Alpha stages, and are rarely added in Beta.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 8, 2004
"bug fixes"

Like the BMP 180° rotate problem…

The embedded profile DCS problem…

….Layer styles still dont scale when transformed…

(that’s the only ones I cant think of)
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 8, 2004
There are at least 20 issues from my seat.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Apr 8, 2004
I guess I wasn’t really clear in my previous post. At this time, there are no plans for a .x update to Photoshop CS.

–Steph
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 9, 2004
You are not planning to fix the logged bugs after all?

That would be a VERY bad precedent: Adobe has never let logged bugs in the first release of a new version go uncorrected before this and, although there were few, surely they should be addressed before Photoshop 9 ships?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2004
What Stephanie is probably saying is that since PS CS is a very stable product and that sure there may be some issues and even a bug or two there is nothing that really warrants a dot release so the team and management are just working on the development and looking at the code for the various features and should at some point in time it is deemed feasible to put a group. of then resolved issues, out for an update they will at that time consider that possibility. If that is ever deemed necessary.

But as I use Photoshop almost daily I see no real compelling need for an update though if Adobe felt it was practical and released one I would be one of the first to download and run the updater.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Apr 9, 2004
Ann,

My initial post provided information on what we have updated, and what areas we are investigating for potential updates. In the case of multiprocessor issues (such as CCW rotate), any update provided would be in the form of a plugin – not a full app update which is what’s commonly referred to as a "dot release".

Wade, you are much better at marketing speak than I 🙂
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Not being inclined to put much weight on marketing speak, I prefer to take the optimistic route and conclude that Photoshop 9 may be closer than we think. 😉
A
Asa
Apr 9, 2004
Don’t know about you folks but I see big issues with memory. PS 7 and 8 are big, big hogs. What PS 8 shows for scratch and assigned memory is a issue. I give PS 1000mbs 50% it shows 960mb in the scratch /memory box.

….Asa
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Asa,

The scratch disk size issue has been discussed in several threads by now.

Read post # 92 in this thread, for instance:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.2ccf0d01/92>

Photoshop CS, as an executable, is bigger than Photoshop 7. By a reasonable chunk. So yes, right there it will use more RAM.

The tile size is bumped, which means for certain images that there will be somewhat more RAM usage for that image. Not a lot, and it depends on how much RAM is in the machine. A tradeoff for better MP performance. The larger the image, the smaller the increase will be.

It also means that initial RAM allocation will be larger, and initial scratch usage will be larger. But since that’s mostly for rarely used items, they’ll soon be out of RAM and won’t impact performance.

Those things together mean you better re-tune Photoshop CS’s memory percentage, and not just use the same percentage you used for Photoshop 7, because that will likely get you in trouble. Best thing to do is run Activity Monitor and watch Free Memory. Having Free Memory go below 15MB gets you in the danger zone, and you should back off your Photoshop memory usage percentage and restart Photoshop.

As for opening images slow, if you have images with many Photoshop 6/7 text layers, then yes, the image can open a little slowly as those layers are translated into the new text engine. Do anything to update those layers and re-save the file out, and the file will open much faster, so this should diminish as you migrate files up to Photoshop CS.

How Photoshop measures free RAM, and how it determines how to live within the percentage assigned haven’t changed (which is what Chris was referring to). It’s just that enough other things changed that means that the same percentage may no longer be appropriate.
P
progress
Apr 9, 2004
hmm…no point release?…so we’re not fixing bugs anymore?

is this a sinking ship or something?
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 9, 2004
At the expense of burdening one or more of you with stuff that’s been discussed, would anyone be willing to list maybe the Top Five "bugs" and other dysfunctions in PSCS? I too use it daily on a G4 500 Dual machine under 10.2.8 and am not experiencing problems. But this, of course, means absolutely nothing because my routines, habits, OS, and hardware may simply not expose me to the bugs others are seeing.

I’m aware of the problem rotating 1-bit images. What are the other 4 or 5?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 9, 2004
Considering that the last or next to last application of the suite family package to be refined, was PS, than a dot release would most likely not be in the making unless there is something seriously broken within the app that would vastly affect the usability.

Besides that, spending resource to correct twigs on a branch is not an optomized money making process., um……. unless you work in advertising where as…..oh, nevermind…..

Annoying glitches are not justification enough to address issues between build releases unless there are crippling issues.

Hmm..

I guess it all depends on who is testing the product to determine such issues.

Bugs, are a cost risk analysis that may be out of the PS mgmt. teams hands as well as the newly created CS release structure.

Other than that, it’s pretty amazing that all this stuff works as well as it does, but that doesn’t allow me to tell my clients to just live with the defects that I produce because of said bugs.

There will always be grown defects, but who shall show the light, shall be the guide.

not crazy, just a little unwell…..
L
LRK
Apr 9, 2004
I don’t know, maybe the Illustrator team has a totally different mentality than the Photoshop team. I respect Adam as he was willing to work with me on a possible fix a while back. I also respect Mordy, but he’s no longer with Adobe if I understand right… The rest, I don’t know. Thinking back to the vs. 9 days and how those issues never were truly fixed. Forgive me if I’m being unfair, but it just seems like they are not as motivated to achieve the same degree of excellence.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 9, 2004
Linda,

We really don’t know the level of complexity that the engineers challenge on a daily basis.

Some things can’t be addressed unless there is a partial or total archecture rebuild of specific areas or new code builders to fix defects within the software that makes the software.

The hand painting the hand.
L
LRK
Apr 9, 2004
I’m trying to understand, Mike. At least CS is better than vs. 9… and it runs in Panther… so I’m not as frustrated as I once was.

The InDesign team also seems be doing a pretty good job. Not perfect, but they’ve really produced a wonderful product. Then again, they were motived because otherwise they would have never become a threat to Quark. Thank goodness for that!
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 9, 2004
So WHAT are the top 5 bugs in PSCS? 🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 9, 2004
Ignorance is bliss!

and it depends upon your workflow…..

;o)
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 9, 2004
Ignorance is bliss, indeed.

Happy Easter, Mikey!
J
JasonSmith
Apr 9, 2004
Anybody care to comment on my convert to profile/proof setup question?

This one may make my top five if it’s a bug.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 9, 2004
Thanks Doug,

The weekend is 5 days too short.

;o’

Jas,

ok
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 12, 2004
LRK – I think you’ll find that the Illustrator "attitude" has changed significantly since the 9.0 days….

(and yes, Mordy left Adobe)
L
LRK
Apr 12, 2004
Thanks Chris! Since you are a person that I have come to highly respect and trust, I am glad to hear you say this. I trust then that there will be a dot release (or more if necessary) to resolve the more important issues that users are concerned about.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 12, 2004
LRK – I can’t comment on dot releases.
A
Asa
Apr 15, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda

So what you and the experts are saying…PS 8 is no longer a program that lives and dies by scratch only. PS 8 now hits the memory first then what is needed for extra usage is then paged out to VM. Is this correct? Or is OSX a VM machine only like WINNT? Still a big hog. I have two gigs of ram in my G4-400 and I will play with the settings. Just my first time seeing a 1.42 gig scratch/ 960 megs of the assigned 1000mbs. I do know that NT 4x running PS 3.05 was the fastest thing in the world.

….Asa
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 15, 2004
OS X and NT are very similar in the way they handle memory, virtual and RAM
R
Ram
Apr 15, 2004
Asa,

No I’ve never said what you say I did. I need to go back to see what may have confused you. (Oh, and I’m not an "expert" either.)
R
Ram
Apr 15, 2004
Asa,

I went back and the only post of mine in this thread addressed to you is # 38, In it, I provided you with a link and a quote (the paragraph in italics below the link) from the pertinent post by Scott Byer, a true Adobe expert.

You write:

So what … the experts are saying … PS 8 is no longer a program that lives and dies by scratch only. PS 8 now hits the memory first.

I don’t think Photoshop ever "lived and died by scratch only" without using RAM, but if I’m wrong I’m sure the gurus will correct me ASAP. 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 15, 2004
It’s probably a viewpoint thing…..

From one view (especially disk space usage) Photoshop allocates scratch first, and uses what RAM is available.

From another view (especially when debugging) Photoshop allocates enough scratch space to cover any possibilities, puts data in RAM when it can, and only writes the data out to scratch when it runs out of RAM. But if there isn’t enough RAM for a buffer, older image data will be written to scratch to make room.
A
Asa
Apr 16, 2004
It’s probably a viewpoint thing….. <<

I guess it is a viewpoint. If you had 256mb ram on the machine and gave PS 100 Mb swap at 50 mb you would still be younger then I. I cannot remember in the old versions seeing PS use the ram, did not PS assign ram equal to the amount of scratch? well I guess it still does you needed five to ten times scratch disk…if you had the money. Now with one gig of memory you just about need a fifteen gig swap. Cripes assign 2gigs to PS on the new eight gig machines. I’m broke already. What happens when PS will use 7500 mbs?

….Asa
P
progress
Apr 16, 2004
thats starting to make sense chris now…the slowdowns we see are when new files are opened after existing ones are worked on and are still open…7 seemed to handle this differently or better…dunno…but that seems to account for the brick wall we hit in cs now and then.

anyone care to guess on how long before PS can play with the rest of the potential 6gb left over in g5’s?

one thing we have seen that really slows CS down is the file browser…as soon as its closed speed comes back…memory again?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections