Posted By
Mac Lynch
Feb 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Kia Ora
Sorry, can’t find a Premiere Active Newsgroup.
Is the length of a DVD movie for editing, controlled by by the amount of memory in the PC?
After loading 1/2 hour into my PC with 768 MBytes, I can’t do anything with the program. Premiere is the only program open, using XP Home Edition. Would upgrading to 1 or 2 Gig of memory solve my problem? Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DJ
david johnson
Feb 11, 2008
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:46:15 +1300, Mac Lynch
wrote:

Kia Ora
Is the length of a DVD movie for editing, controlled by by the amount of memory in the PC?
After loading 1/2 hour into my PC with 768 MBytes, I can’t do anything with the program. Premiere is the only program open, using XP Home Edition. Would upgrading to 1 or 2 Gig of memory solve my problem? Mac

premiere like photoshop is very ram hungry.

i use 2gb on my system

i regular work on 2 or 3 camera shoots and have 40gb of video footage

without knowing what you have done its hard to say, for exmaple is it one video clip? is it lots of clips, is it a premiere legal format?

did you add a gazillion timelines, loads of music?

but yes if you bought more ram it will help, but that is assuming the program only hung on actually running out or ram so to speak. Really / normally when it runs out of ram it uses the hd and then basically just works slower. Which premiere are you using?
J
jaSPAMc
Feb 11, 2008
Mac Lynch found these unused words:

Kia Ora

Can’t say they’re ‘active’ …
adobe.premiere.elements
adobe.premier.pro.win2
probably others …

Not ‘controlled’ but very much affected by the RAM. Hard Drive space is very much an issue as you need to have a freshly defragmented drive with a minimum of 3x the size of the video loaded in as ‘working space’ for editing.

ML
Mac Lynch
Feb 11, 2008
In article ,
says…
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:46:15 +1300, Mac Lynch
wrote:

Kia Ora
Thanks for your reply Paul
I am using Premiere Elements 3.0 from original disks and am taking my clips on a Sony Handycam direct onto 30 minute DVD-RW disks.
The trouble starts when I add the 2nd disk to the project. It eventually loads but when I try to edit, everything hangs:( There is heaps of space available on my HDs.
So far I have not tried adding any fancies like music or narration, just cutting out unwanted camera shots.
I am very pleased with the quality of the shots, it’s just that cameraman, He needs to learn a bit more!!
Mac
premiere like photoshop is very ram hungry.

i use 2gb on my system

i regular work on 2 or 3 camera shoots and have 40gb of video footage
without knowing what you have done its hard to say, for exmaple is it one video clip? is it lots of clips, is it a premiere legal format?
did you add a gazillion timelines, loads of music?

but yes if you bought more ram it will help, but that is assuming the program only hung on actually running out or ram so to speak. Really / normally when it runs out of ram it uses the hd and then basically just works slower. Which premiere are you using?
K
KatWoman
Feb 11, 2008
"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message

Kia Ora

adobe.premiere.elements
adobe.premier.pro.win2
probably others …

Not ‘controlled’ but very much affected by the RAM. Hard Drive space is very
much an issue as you need to have a freshly defragmented drive with a minimum of 3x the size of the video loaded in as ‘working space’ for editing.

\

can you allocate more resources to the prog in the options?? like in PS you can allow more ram to be used than default with a slider
J
jaSPAMc
Feb 11, 2008

I am very pleased with the quality of the shots, it’s just that cameraman, He needs to learn a bit more!!
Mac

…. as do you !
DJ
david johnson
Feb 11, 2008
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:26:33 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Kia Ora

adobe.premiere.elements
adobe.premier.pro.win2
probably others …

Not ‘controlled’ but very much affected by the RAM. Hard Drive space is very much an issue as you need to have a freshly defragmented drive with a minimum of 3x the size of the video loaded in as ‘working space’ for editing.

those newgroups aren’t available to all servers, virgin is one
J
jaSPAMc
Feb 12, 2008
found these unused words:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:26:33 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Kia Ora

adobe.premiere.elements
adobe.premier.pro.win2
probably others …

those newgroups aren’t available to all servers, virgin is one

Ever think of using Google’s newsgroup access?
S
SpaceGirl
Mar 11, 2008
Mac Lynch wrote:
Kia Ora

Don’t know much about Premier, but I recently made the jump from 4Gb to 8Gb RAM and it’s made a huge difference in speed editing timeline heavy hi-def shoots in FinalCutPro on my MacPro quad. I guess lots of stuff gets cached to RAM as timeline redraws are much faster.

Personally, I think anything under 2Gb ram for video editing is just going to be painfully slow, especially under Windows which is just terrible at memory management.

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com
DJ
david johnson
Mar 12, 2008
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:09:54 +0000, SpaceGirl
wrote:

Mac Lynch wrote:
Kia Ora

Don’t know much about Premier, but I recently made the jump from 4Gb to 8Gb RAM and it’s made a huge difference in speed editing timeline heavy hi-def shoots in FinalCutPro on my MacPro quad. I guess lots of stuff gets cached to RAM as timeline redraws are much faster.

Personally, I think anything under 2Gb ram for video editing is just going to be painfully slow, especially under Windows which is just terrible at memory management.

premiere does like lots of memory, however your os may limit that. any 32bit system will only see a max of 3.6gb so moving up to 8gb the previous poster must be in a 64bit os.

I used to offline edit on my laptop which only has 512mb and even that was shared with vga, so i only had 446mb of usuable ram. all this was fed via a usb hd. Yes it was slow, but at the time i could edit away from home, and actually as i wasn’t using any special effects , but basic offline edit, i can’t say it slowed down that much. Projects over 90mins i might add. Premiere doesn’t load the actual video into ram, only the names of clips etc.

my footage was often over 30gb.

however i normally use premiere on a 2gb system but i have a realtime matrox card to do alot of the work.
S
SpaceGirl
Mar 12, 2008
On Mar 12, 1:04 pm, wrote:

wrote:
Mac Lynch wrote:
Kia Ora

premiere does like lots of memory, however your os may limit that. any 32bit system will only see a max of 3.6gb so moving up to 8gb the previous poster must be in a 64bit os.

I used to offline edit on my laptop which only has 512mb and even that was shared with vga, so i only had 446mb of usuable ram. all this was fed via a usb hd. Yes it was slow, but at the time i could edit away from home, and actually as i wasn’t using any special effects , but basic offline edit, i can’t say it slowed down that much. Projects over 90mins i might add. Premiere doesn’t load the actual video into ram, only the names of clips etc.

however i normally use premiere on a 2gb system but i have a realtime matrox card to do alot of the work.

Yep. I’m not sure XP Home supports more than 2Gb anyway? I think XP pro lets you have more, but anything over 4Gb is wasted. There are good reasons why I went Apple. I use every scrap of 8Gb – but I tend to have PhotoShop, Illustrator and Flash open as well as FCP!
DJ
david johnson
Mar 13, 2008
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:23:04 -0700 (PDT), SpaceGirl
wrote:

wrote:
Mac Lynch wrote:
Kia Ora

Yep. I’m not sure XP Home supports more than 2Gb anyway? I think XP pro lets you have more, but anything over 4Gb is wasted. There are good reasons why I went Apple. I use every scrap of 8Gb – but I tend to have PhotoShop, Illustrator and Flash open as well as FCP!

home supports exactly the same ammount of ram as pro, assuming you mean 32 bit flavour, i might add also 32bit vista, it doesnt support more than 3.6gb even though when you install the sp1 in vista, it will show the 4gb you have but it wont use it, its just trickery
S
SpaceGirl
Mar 13, 2008
On Mar 13, 6:39 am, wrote:

wrote:

wrote:
Mac Lynch wrote:
Kia Ora

home supports exactly the same ammount of ram as pro, assuming you mean 32 bit flavour, i might add also 32bit vista, it doesnt support more than 3.6gb even though when you install the sp1 in vista, it will show the 4gb you have but it wont use it, its just trickery

It *does* use it. By default XP can only address 2Gb max (for applications) + space for drivers etc. That’s about 2.5Gb I think. You can add a switch to boot.ini (/3GB) to increase this addressing space to 3Gb (+ driver/kernel space). So if you have 4Gb you do get 1Gb extra space available to apps that support it (many apps won’t under Windows, regardless!). It also gives you more space for memory hungry drivers.

This is why I love my Macs! Why should I ever need to worry about this silly stuff :s
S
SpaceGirl
Mar 13, 2008
On Mar 13, 6:39 am, wrote:

wrote:

wrote:
Mac Lynch wrote:
Kia Ora

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/08/05/208908. aspx

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections