EF
Posted By
Edward Fritzen
Sep 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone experienced a printer stopping while printing a photo from PE2 anywhere from 25% to 75% through the job? This has been a recurring problem for me, and I’m not sure how to avoid it. I’m not sure if this is a PE2 problem, or print driver problem. As an example, I tried to print an 8×10 psd file which contained a photo, enhanced, resized, sharpened etc and using the "Photo glossy paper" settings in the Print dialogue box, the print job would start and after about 1/4 of the way through, the printing would stop and the print ejected. The same file printed ok using the Plain Paper settings in the print dialogue box. I use a Macintosh computer, running OS X 10.2.6 and and Epson Sytlus Photo 890 printer. I’ve noticed this behaviour with other prints at other print sizes as well. Of course it always happens when I have a particularly nice print to make. It does tend to waste photopaper too. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Stanley
Sep 11, 2003
I’m a PC person, but have run into t some of the same problems from time to time. As far as I can figure (and others have told me the same) your printer does not have sufficient memory.

In a PC (also MAC ?) the computer prepairs the file for printing. Once that’s done it send it to the printer. The printer has to have the entire file before it can start.

If the file is to large, the printer will print only what it can handle" in one bite.

The solution?? Usually I reduce the DPI’s. When your ready to print…is the file flattned or still has all the layers? The PSD format can create some LARGE files. Suggest you try to flatten then save as a JPG for printing.

THis usually works for me. You could, assuming it’s the printer, add more printer memory. But I find it easier for the few large prints I produce to make the file acceptable by the printer

If I’m wrong, I’m sure someone here will correct me.

Stan

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:30:44 -0700, "Edward Fritzen" wrote:

Has anyone experienced a printer stopping while printing a photo from PE2 anywhere from 25% to 75% through the job?
This has been a recurring problem for me
, and I’m not sure how to avoid it. I’m not sure if this is a PE2 problem, or print driver problem. As an example, I tried to print an 8×10 psd file which contained a photo, enhanced, resized, sharpened etc and using the "Photo glossy paper" settings in the Print dialogue box, the print job would start and after about 1/4 of the way through, the printing would stop and the print ejected. The same file printed ok using the Plain Paper settings in the print dialogue box. I use a Macintosh computer, running OS X 10.2.6 and and Epson Sytlus Photo 890 printer. I’ve noticed this behaviour with other prints at other print sizes as well. Of course it always happens when I have a particularly nice print to make. It does tend to waste photopaper too. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
BB
brent bertram
Sep 13, 2003
Edward,
I’m not at all familiar with the Mac platform, but if this were on a Windows PC I’d suspect that the disk that is being used as a print spooler was either too full, or very fragmented . I’m sure there are Mac utilities to defrag your hard drive, and perhaps that will help out .

🙂

Brent
P
Phosphor
Sep 13, 2003
Maybe, Brent, but Edward, first I’d try launching print center from your applications>utilities folder and deleting your printer from the list and then adding it in again. Many times that will fix driver woogliness in X.
EM
Eric Matthes
Sep 13, 2003
Edward,
Here’s my guess from reading threads on printing large files. PSD files with many layers can easily approach and go over 100MB. Try this: flatten the layers, and save the file under a different name, as a tiff. Be careful not to lose your psd file with all the layers. (I don’t think that should happen anyway, since you are changing from psd to tiff, but I change the filename slightly to make it easier for myself.) The tiff file should be much smaller than the psd file, but should look the same on printing. I’ll be curious to know if this helps.
EF
Edward Fritzen
Sep 13, 2003
Thanks for all the help. I’ve looked through this forum and others regarding print problems and did eventually get the file to print. It might have been something as simple as restarting the computer. I’m not exactly sure, since I restarted the computer and changed the memory cache in PE2 to 75%. The original .psd file printed fine. My next step was going to be to flatten the image. The original file size was over 40meg, and flattened it would’ve been 15meg, roughly. I’ve read about deleting/re-adding printers as well, and would’ve tried that eventually. Thanks again for the replies.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections