Posted By
pixelpro
Jan 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Group,

This is my first post, and Im not sure how to pose my question- so I’ll start with a brief description of my situation.

I am the production artist and photoshop "guru" of an in house graphics department in the U.S., and my job involves retouching images for packaging that is printed in Hong Kong.

The HK service bureau has been converting our files to a custom profile they’ve created, whereas we are using U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 (aka North American Prepress by Adobe).
This has resulted in noticable color shifts on the proofs and I’d like to avoid these surprises in the future.

So…
Because we are considering having them process a large batch of images for us (Using the orig RAW files, create clipping paths, drop shadows and color corrections), I’m trying to determine the best way to share files with them.

My thought is to have them convert the RAW files to our U.S. SWOP profile, and only *Assign* their custom profile while they work on the files. This way, when we receive the finished files, we have the option to use the U.S. profile, and not risk and color problems converting their custom profile to U.S. SWOP.

OR-
would it be best to do the color corrections myself, with their custom profile *Assigned* –
and allowing them to do the "hard" conversion to their profile before they output film, thus removing the color shifts and "surprise" proofs.

I hope this is making sense, I need to determine a process rather quickly.
Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
nomail
Jan 28, 2008
pixelpro wrote:

This is my first post, and Im not sure how to pose my question- so I’ll start with a brief description of my situation.

I am the production artist and photoshop "guru" of an in house graphics department in the U.S., and my job involves retouching images for packaging that is printed in Hong Kong.

The HK service bureau has been converting our files to a custom profile they’ve created, whereas we are using U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 (aka North American Prepress by Adobe).
This has resulted in noticable color shifts on the proofs and I’d like to avoid these surprises in the future.

So…
Because we are considering having them process a large batch of images for us (Using the orig RAW files, create clipping paths, drop shadows and color corrections), I’m trying to determine the best way to share files with them.

My thought is to have them convert the RAW files to our U.S. SWOP profile, and only *Assign* their custom profile while they work on the files. This way, when we receive the finished files, we have the option to use the U.S. profile, and not risk and color problems converting their custom profile to U.S. SWOP.

OR-
would it be best to do the color corrections myself, with their custom profile *Assigned* –
and allowing them to do the "hard" conversion to their profile before they output film, thus removing the color shifts and "surprise" proofs.

If you are a ‘Photoshop guru’, you should know that ‘assigning’ a different profile is not the way to do this. First you should get their profile, and then you should color correct your images while doing a ‘soft proof’ using that profile.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
P
pixelpro
Jan 28, 2008
On Jan 27, 5:38 pm, (Johan W. Elzenga) wrote:
pixelpro wrote:

So…

OR-

If you are a ‘Photoshop guru’, you should know that ‘assigning’ a different profile is not the way to do this. First you should get their profile, and then you should color correct your images while doing a ‘soft proof’ using that profile.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com

Thanks for replying- I thought I went over everyone’s head. Well, as my post said, I am the guru of my dept- perhaps not much further. But at least I’m asking the right questions.

I did manage to extract their profile, which is how I was able to Assign
it to my files for a "soft proof", which confirmed the results I was getting
from their proofs.

Also from my first post, they will do the work on a large batch of images
before I even get to see them.

The images will be used for printing overseas, then the files are re- purposed
for other collateral that will be printed stateside, where U.S. SWOP is more commonly used.

My concern is having to re-color correct these files. Perhaps the solution is for
them process the files with U.S, SWOP, then only *Assign their custom profile
to make their color adjustments, and send us the files in this format. I can then
either approve the images or make corrections, and then they can make the
*Conversion before they output film. I will also have files that still have the
SWOP profile.

If my thinking is wrong, or I’m close but not quite, please enlighten me.
I thought thats what these newsgroups were for. 😉
P
P-Rex
Jan 28, 2008
On Jan 26, 4:39 am, pixelpro wrote:
Hello Group,

So…

OR-

Thanks!

The best way to handle it would be to send PDF/X files and allow them to apply their own color profile. When you create the PDF make sure you select "Leave Color Unchanged" in the Color tab of Distiller. If you really want to apply a color profile before you send the files to use when color correcting, have then send you a custom one they created for their presses (I am sure they have one).

Check out these resources for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Digital-PrePress-Delmar/dp/1 41801236X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6672180-1563636?ie=UTF8&s= books&qid=1194144963&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Color-Management-Abhay-S harma/dp/1401814476/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1 201536176&sr=1-5
P
pixelpro
Jan 28, 2008
It seems everyone is missing a particular detail-

**They will get the RAW files from the photographer, before I have a chance to do anything to them. So my main question is:

1. Do I have them send me the files with U.S. SWOP embedded, and their custom profile Assigned? (They would keep a set for themselves that can be *Converted when output)

OR

2. Do I let them *Convert & process with their profile embedded, and then I deal with having to recolor when I convert to U.S. SWOP for
U.S. printing. (When I preview my U.S. SWOP file with their profile
assigned, I get a large CYAN shift)

P-REX, Thanks for the tips!
N
nomail
Jan 29, 2008
pixelpro wrote:

I did manage to extract their profile, which is how I was able to Assign
it to my files for a "soft proof", which confirmed the results I was getting
from their proofs.

Also from my first post, they will do the work on a large batch of images
before I even get to see them.

The images will be used for printing overseas, then the files are re- purposed
for other collateral that will be printed stateside, where U.S. SWOP is more commonly used.

My concern is having to re-color correct these files. Perhaps the solution is for
them process the files with U.S, SWOP, then only *Assign their custom profile
to make their color adjustments, and send us the files in this format. I can then
either approve the images or make corrections, and then they can make the
*Conversion before they output film. I will also have files that still have the
SWOP profile.

If my thinking is wrong, or I’m close but not quite, please enlighten me.
I thought thats what these newsgroups were for. 😉

That is indeed what they are for. You are making life much more complicated than it is. If you color correct the image *while doing a soft proof with their profile* you are looking at a simulation of how the image will look *after they have converted it to their profile*. Just send them the corrected image, don’t convert it yourself. After they have converted it, it will just look the way you intended.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections