TN
Posted By
Thu_Nguyen
Apr 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just got a new computer and my PS 7 freezes frequently (once every 3 min or so) when i move an object, click on something, or make any changes. But it starts working again in about 15min or 30 min later or won’t work at all.
PS 7 works fine on my old comp. I think these things cause the problem but not quite sure: Windows XP service pack 2 or Norton Antivirus, because these are the only things that I don’t have on the old comp.
If you have any suggestion please help. Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 24, 2005
Sounds like either bad RAM or a bad video driver (or display adapter).
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 24, 2005
Thu, try setting your display properties to NOT use hardware acceleration. If the problems go away, then the problem lies with your video driver or adapter.
TN
Thu_Nguyen
Apr 24, 2005
umm… can you show me how to do that?
TN
Thu_Nguyen
Apr 24, 2005
Nevermind, I figured out how to…
By the way, I’m using ATI Tech, which I don’t have on my old computer, does it cause the problem? I tried setting my display properties to not use hardware acceleration, PS still freezes. What does hardware acceleration do? Does turning it off decrease my image quality?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 24, 2005
Turning it off helps determine whether your video card was the problem, by not using the more sophisticated processing in the card and doing it on the computer, which is usually less efficient. Go ahead and turn it back on now. The next step is to make sure you have the latest video driver from ATI. Go to <http://www.ati.com>, get the latest driver, and read and follow the instructions carefully for removing your current driver and loading the new one. If you just install the new driver without going through the proper procedure, you won’t fix anything.
BH
Bobby_Henderson
Apr 24, 2005
Just another thing to add. Make sure you have the latest patch for Adobe Photoshop running on the new computer. I had a similar problem with Photoshop on my new notebook PC. The plain vanilla installation from the CD had problems. The Photoshop updater improved everything.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 24, 2005
The PS 7.0.1 update can be downloaded free from here: < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1851>

Chris
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 24, 2005
Thu,

Do other app’s suffer aswell? If yes, take out half the RAM and try again. No freezing? reinsert the RAM and take out the other half.
Still no problem? Do you have 2Gig? If anything lower than 2G works fine. whichever modules you put in, then maybe the BIOS doesn’t support 2Gig.

Other app’s fine? then I think it’s the upgrade suggested above.

Rob
TN
Thu_Nguyen
Apr 24, 2005
Thanks everyone for the help. I already updated PS, I think I’ll try install the newest video driver and see if it’ll work.
Thanks again

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections