CK
Posted By
Chuck_Krueger
Apr 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it possible to take one photo and break it into even segments so that I can print a large photo that consists of small parts of the original. So instead of having one 8X10 I will have the same image made up of 9 8X10’s?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CK
Chuck_Krueger
Apr 23, 2005
dont know
C
Charger
Apr 23, 2005
I don’t think so. You can do it manually though by selecting the Rectangle Selection tool and set it as FIXED SIZE at whatever dimensions you want, and put strokes (borders) around the pic.
D
deebs
Apr 23, 2005
It sounds like a great project!

I guess I’d be tempted to:

1 – patrition the image into a 3 by 3 grid (may be irregular sizes?)

2 – save each partition either as an image in its own right (either as TIFF or PSD – see the stuff about JPEG losses) or as layers

3 – resize to what you wish it to be Edit > Image resize if I remember correctly

4 – definitely save the partitions under their own separted, unique and distint filenames

5 – use Photomerge to recompose if you wish
LB
larry_brubeck
Apr 23, 2005
Some printers have that in their software,Canon has that feature.
D
deebs
Apr 23, 2005
Canon – is good
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 23, 2005
I don’t know why photoshop doesn’t have this feature. it’s been requested several times and would be great. i think ulead photoimpact is one package that does this. might want to check that out.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Apr 23, 2005
I was given a panoramic file just Friday of a friend and his son at the Nationals baseball game. It as well done, and showed the stadium and field with my friend and his son on the right side in the stands.

He asked me to chop it up and print each section as large as would fit on 8 X 10 paper. It seemed like he was reverse engineering a panorama, but what he wanted was to place the larger pictures together and make a large panorama without taking it to a shop.

What I did was use the rulers and crop the original in segment that overlapped by 1/2". I also made sure that the width was equal as was the height of each section I cropped.

It was a bit of a manual way of doing it, but it worked well, and he was impressed.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 24, 2005
I haven’t done this, but you could use slices to do the cutting up, couldn’t you? Then load each of the slices as a separate file and print it.
PC
Patty_Clarke
Apr 24, 2005
One of the first things I learned in the forum was to manually tile and print a large image in PS thanks to Burton Ogden.

I did it like Charger described, but Michael’s slicing idea sounds worth trying.

Basically here’s what I did:

I had a photo I had taken with my digital camera and created my PS file at the finished print size I wanted, something like 48 inches by 36 inches at 150 resolution. I created a numbering system to identify each section on a small print of the photo. Top 1, 2, 3, etc. Middle and Bottom. Then I divided the large image into 10×10" sections to print. I set up my fixed rectangle size and saved each section as a different file.

Then you have to print out each section and then trim the margins for the final piece. I ended up not putting the pieces directly butted up because I found I like the "paned" look. Here’s a bad photo of my finished piece. I mounted it on foam board as a triptych.

my mural <http://users.adelphia.net/~dgcreations/images/mural.jpg>

Also, a guy at school showed me this site on Friday, I haven’t had time to try it yet, but it’s a free download for doing what you are talking about.

It has a funny name! <http://arje.net/rasterbator>

Good luck, I’ll check back to see if you have more specific questions.

Patty
RL
roger_leale
Apr 24, 2005
The easiest way to do print jobs like this, out ot the ordinary, is to use Qimage. Panoramas or posters are easily made up from any photographs, and no resizing is necessary beforehand.

Roger
CK
Chuck_Krueger
Apr 24, 2005
thanks everybody, I did find the solution at Photoelf.com. it does exactly what I wanted and the download is only 25.00.
chuck

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections