Posted By
Sylvia M
Jan 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HI
I’ve been lurking a while, with most going over my head. What I have photo-wise and peripherals:

Canon ‘PowerShot’ A-550 (fairly new to me)

Minalta Freedom Zoom150 with aspherical lens

HP scanjet 3670 ( I use to scan in the Minalta photos)

Picasa 2.7 (I use most of it’s features)

Microsoft Picture it

GIMPshop — Free download — I can’t figure it out

OK, probably too much information…

I’m considering Adobe Elements 6.0. Costco has a $30
off deal, so I don’t have much to loose at $50

Stupid Question #1: Should I buy it?
Stupid Question #2: How steep is the learning curve?
Stupid Question #3: OMG..I don’t even know the next logical question!

T.I.A.

Sylvia M.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
babaloo
Jan 22, 2008
Elements is "better" than the programs you currently have only if you take the time to learn how to use it.
J
jaSPAMc
Jan 22, 2008
"Sylvia M" found these unused words:

HI
I’ve been lurking a while, with most going over my head. What I have photo-wise and peripherals:

Microsoft Picture it

T.I.A.

Sylvia M.

From the couple times I’ve used "elements", it appears to be about 50% (the basics with some neat things missing – Curves …).

The LC is the same as PS, just that there’s less to learn.

Read, crawl, stand, walk, run …
V
Voivod
Jan 22, 2008
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:53:02 -0800, "flambe"
scribbled:

Elements is "better" than the programs you currently have only if you take the time to learn how to use it.

How is Elements better than the Gimp?
C
Cliff
Jan 22, 2008
Sylvia M wrote:

HI

Microsoft Picture it

T.I.A.

Sylvia M.

I would go ahead and buy PSE6. It has a few warts but it works quite well. For $50 it is a good buy. PSE6 has some ‘wizards’ that will guide you thru picture correction and enhancement. Later, as you gather experience, you can dispense with the ‘wizards’ and use the automatic and manual methods of correction and enhancement.

PSE6 also has an ‘organizer’ function, actually a separate program, that will duplicate the organizational functions in Picassa. Some people swear by it and some people swear at it. Try it out and judge for yourself.

If you are going to pop for the program, I would also buy the book "Photoshop Elements 6 The Missing Manual" by Barbara Brundage. IMHO this is an excellent book for learning PSE6.

Good luck.

Cliff
SM
Sylvia M
Jan 22, 2008
"CJ" wrote in message
Sylvia M wrote:

HI

Microsoft Picture it

T.I.A.

Sylvia M.

I would go ahead and buy PSE6. It has a few warts but it works quite well. For $50 it is a good buy. PSE6 has some ‘wizards’ that will guide
you thru picture correction and enhancement. Later, as you gather experience, you can dispense with the ‘wizards’ and use the automatic and manual methods of correction and enhancement.

PSE6 also has an ‘organizer’ function, actually a separate program, that will duplicate the organizational functions in Picassa. Some people swear by it and some people swear at it. Try it out and judge for yourself.

If you are going to pop for the program, I would also buy the book "Photoshop Elements 6 The Missing Manual" by Barbara Brundage. IMHO this is an excellent book for learning PSE6.

Good luck.

Cliff

Thanks to all!
The ‘Missing Manual’ is the missing convincer for me!
If….no….*when* I come back here with my questions, do remember that you told me to try it 😉

Many thanks again
C
Cliff
Jan 22, 2008
Sylvia M wrote:

"CJ" wrote in message
Sylvia M wrote:

HI

Microsoft Picture it

T.I.A.

Sylvia M.

I would go ahead and buy PSE6. It has a few warts but it works quite well. For $50 it is a good buy. PSE6 has some ‘wizards’ that will guide you thru picture correction and enhancement. Later, as you gather experience, you can dispense with the ‘wizards’ and use the automatic and manual methods of correction and enhancement.

Good luck.

— Cliff

Thanks to all!
If….no….*when* I come back here with my questions, do remember that you told me to try it 😉

Many thanks again

Something you might consider, there is a free 30 day trial of PSE6 available from Adobe. You can either do the 475MB download or order a free DVD.
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?loc=en%5Fus&amp ;product=photosh op%5Felements

Cliff
SM
Sylvia M
Jan 22, 2008
"CJ" wrote in message
Sylvia M wrote:

"CJ" wrote in message
Sylvia M wrote:

HI

Microsoft Picture it

T.I.A.

Sylvia M.

I would go ahead and buy PSE6. It has a few warts but it works quite
well. For $50 it is a good buy. PSE6 has some ‘wizards’ that will guide you thru picture correction and enhancement. Later, as you gather experience, you can dispense with the ‘wizards’ and use the automatic and manual methods of correction and enhancement.
PSE6 also has an ‘organizer’ function, actually a separate program, that will duplicate the organizational functions in Picassa. Some people swear by it and some people swear at it. Try it out and judge
for yourself.

Good luck.

— Cliff

Thanks to all!

Many thanks again

Something you might consider, there is a free 30 day trial of PSE6 available from Adobe. You can either do the 475MB download or order a free DVD.
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?loc=en%5Fus&amp ;product=photosh op%5Felements

Cliff

Thanks for that info, but since Costco only has it on sale for a only a week,(Not Spam) I’ll splurge half a c-note, plus I have a Barnes and Nobel gift card that’s growing whiskers, so I’ll pick up the book…then I’ll be committed and motivated to learn at least the basics of the program.
Sylvia M.
J
Joel
Jan 22, 2008
"Sylvia M" wrote:

HI

Microsoft Picture it

I don’t know where to find stupid answer to give you, but it’s just as simplest as.

If you need it, if you want to learn it then BUY IT

This will depending on your learning talent or how hard you try to learn (practicing). Yes, it can be very difficult for new user, then it will get easier and easier and easier depending on how well you know it.

Everyone gets to start at some point, and since you don’t know anything then anything will be new to you. Or you can start with anything.

But how to learn is another story, and I would suggest.

1. Get the program (popular program to get help from more users around the world).

2. Join some Web Forum there you can read old messages, you can post your IMAGE and other will post the retouched. This way you can learn by studying what others do, most of them will give you step-by-step instruction.

That’s it! if you practicing hard then who know may be 1-2 years later you can master few techniques. If you don’t practice then 10-20 years later you still don’t know anything.

T.I.A.

Sylvia M.
D
Dave
Jan 22, 2008
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:54:24 -0600, Joel wrote:

I don’t know where to find stupid answer to give you, but it’s just as simplest as.

Don’t search for stupid answers, Joel.
Usually you succeed even without any effort.

Dave
S
samandjanet
Jan 22, 2008
Sylvia M wrote:
HI

Microsoft Picture it

Sounds like a bargain to me.

You probably won’t regret it.
It’s a fine application. It may lack a handfull of tools that are available in the full version of photoshop, but you’ll find that there are alternative ways of doing things, so you’ll still get pretty much the same creativity. You’ll just have to approach tasks in a slightly different way. Most of the tools that are missing in Elements are ones that you’ll probably never use. They’re generally quite high-end pro user tools, so chances are you won’t even miss them…Especially if you’ve never been used to having them in the first place.

The big selling feature is that you’re buying an Adobe product. That means quality, reliability, a manual and a full support package. Plus, you’ll find that most (if not all) digital photo and imaging magazines do all their tutorials in Photoshop and PS Elements versions, so you won’t struggle to follow their step by step instructions.

How long is a piece of string. It really all depends on what you want to use it for, how quick a learner you are, and how much you already know about digital imaging.
To be honest though, it should be an easy learning curve to follow. There’s gazillions of tutorials online for Elements, hundreds of books about it in the book stores, it comes with good documentation and user guides, and most digital imaging magazines are full of tutorials for it.

Not to worry.
Just hold that thought, and when you think of one, pop in here and ask it. The majority of us in this group are helpfull and friendly folks. Those that aren’t can safely be ignored, as their comments and advice isn’t worth listening to anyway.
D
DaveS
Jan 22, 2008
"Sylvia M" wrote:
snip <

Didn’t like it.

Me either…

Good deal.

Yes.

Steep. Or not. Depends on what you want to do. Doesn’t really matter though.

That would be the which book should I buy question. Someone pointed you to a book already. I was going to point you to the one I got, but I’m not at home and can’t remember what it was. :O)

What I will say is this; If you’re like me and learn better through doing real things, on your own pictures, than tutorial type things, then get one of the books that has little "recipe" type things in it. That’s the type of book I got that was of most value. After I read the book and started working on my own pictures, I could remember something from the book I would need and then go find it. That’s how I learned where things are, and what does what.

I used to use PhotoImpact and loved it. I tried trails of Photoshop Elements, but could never wrap my brain around it tight enough. Then, like you, I found it on sale and said, "What the heck!" Once I got into it, it was so much better, there’s no way I want to go back to my old program.

Hope all that jibber jabber helped some.

Have fun,
Dave
P
Peter
Jan 22, 2008
"Sylvia M" wrote in message
"CJ" wrote in message

Cliff

Thanks for that info, but since Costco only has it on sale for a only a week,(Not Spam) I’ll splurge half a c-note, plus I have a Barnes and Nobel gift card that’s growing whiskers, so I’ll pick up the book…then I’ll be committed and motivated to learn at least the basics of the program.

Enjoy your new hobby.
Some of the procedures I follow may help you. Do not be afraid to experiment. Remember the book is only a guide. Don’t worry if your result is different than the book. It’s supposed to be. You can only get your own style by pushing different buttons to see what happens. Just make a back up first.
Read these lists and cull tips that may work for you. Find a free place to post your photos. There are folks who will be more than willing, within reason, to assist with particular problems. Local camera clubs are a good place to learn, but don’t get me started on the judging system. There ore tons of tutorials on the web.
There are many ways to do accomplish the same result. No one way is right, it’s only right if it works for you.
Enjoy your new hobby. (did I say that earlier?)

HTH

Peter
TC
tony cooper
Jan 22, 2008
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:33:50 -0800, "Sylvia M" wrote:

HI

Microsoft Picture it

I use both Photoshop 7.0 and Elements 5.0. I had Photoshop first, but purchased Elements because my daughter started on it and I wanted to be able to answer some of her questions.

For editing photos, Elements is far superior to what you now use. If you intend to do more than crop, resize, and do minor adjustments, Elements is well worth the price. If you have no interest in progressing in the area of editing, there’s no need for you to buy it.

There is a learning curve, but "steep" is in the eye of the beholder. There are hundreds of on-line tutorials and sources from which to get quick answers when you get hung up.

There is an "Organizer" in Elements that is fairly difficult to learn, but you can use other programs to organize your photos. You needn’t even open the "Organizer" feature. It does allow you to tag images six ways from the middle in order to find people or types of images if you have a lot of images. It also allows you to make slideshows of your images for distribution to others.

Elements has a "Quick Edit" mode that is extremely easy to work with. Does a good job, too. If you scan old prints into Quick Edit, you can adjust them very easily.

I’d suggest you purchase a book like "Classroom in a Book for Adobe Elements (Version x.x) " if you buy Elements. That’ll jump-start you. You can purchase a used book for about $23 on Amazon. A 5.0 version would be just as good since few changes have been made between versions.

Personally, I *hate* Picasa. I know it has some loyal fans, but it "takes over" images. You wouldn’t need it if you learn the Organizer module of Elements.

Microsoft "Picture It" is just another image viewer, and – in my opinion, too slow to load images. I deleted it from my HD and use the free FastStone Image Viewer http://www.faststone.org/ because it loads quickly and can be used to easily renumber or reformat images.

Forget The Gimp. That’s an open source program that compares to Photoshop (full version), but is designed for people who know how to work with Photoshop but don’t have it on their home computer. Based on your post, you aren’t ready for that.

You didn’t mention what OS you are using. If it’s Windows XP, Elements will work fine. If it’s Vista, you might have problems but Vista has problems with everything. If it’s Mac, I dunno if there’s an Elements 6.0 version.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
TC
tony cooper
Jan 22, 2008
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:07:26 -0500, Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

Horses for courses. The Gimp is for the experienced Photoshop user who doesn’t have Photoshop on a home computer. Elements is for those just starting out in image manipulation. The learning curve is easier, tutorials are all over the web, and the program is fairly intuitive.

The Gimp has more features, but if the user can’t figure out how to use the features they might as well not be there.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
J
Joel
Jan 22, 2008
"CJ" wrote:

<snip>

Or once awhile some local store may have PSE onsale for at little as $40-50 or so, and if someone has a friend who just bought some digital toy like digital camera, tablet, scanner etc. then it may come with a version of PSE. Here, I have severals came with my digital cameras, wacom tablets, and I believe some of the older notebooks came with older version of PSE too.
J
Joel
Jan 22, 2008
Dave wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:54:24 -0600, Joel wrote:

Don’t search for stupid answers, Joel.
Usually you succeed even without any effort.

Dave

I agree! and I plan to exchange to some of yours <bg>
SM
Sylvia M
Jan 23, 2008
8<———snipped——–
Sylvia M.

Thanks to all for your helpful and encouraging replies!
I purchased it tonite.
It includes ‘Bonus Training Software’ and I do plan to pick up a book or two, so you probably won’t be having me bother you for a while 😉

Sylvia M.
S
SpaceGirl
Jan 24, 2008
Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Not to mention Gimps’ UI is just terrible. It’s not the easiest program in the world to use… frankly it makes PS CS3 feel like a walk in the park :s

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com
J
Joel
Jan 25, 2008
SpaceGirl wrote:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Not to mention Gimps’ UI is just terrible. It’s not the easiest program in the world to use… frankly it makes PS CS3 feel like a walk in the park :s

Heck, even if GIMP’s interface is good I wouldn’t recommend anyone to use it *unless* GIMP will be the program of choice in the future .. then I would drop Photoshop to start GIMP without question asked.

But the chance for GIMP to be popular is very slim, so I wouldn’t waste any valuable time to mess with GIMP when I can use more time practicing Photoshop instead.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections