JS
Posted By
Joe Smith
Jan 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Which should I be using for sharpening photo’s captured in Raw from a Canon 40D.
Thanks
Joe

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
Dave
Jan 19, 2008
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:27:05 -0000, "Joe Smith" wrote:

Which should I be using for sharpening photo’s captured in Raw from a Canon 40D.
Thanks
Joe

If one was better than the other, there would have been only one. Why don’t you simply experiment – like the rest of us.

Dave
W
Waterspider
Jan 19, 2008
"Dave" wrote in message

Which should I be using for sharpening photo’s captured in Raw from a Canon
40D.
Thanks
Joe

If one was better than the other, there would have been only one.

Methinks that proclamation will come back to bite you.
K
keepout
Jan 19, 2008

Better camera, lens, or eyepiece optical adjustment attachment ? Steadier hand. More mega pixels, tripod, deeper depth of field, the list goes on LONG before you even think of using PS to fix a photo. —
more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
J
Joel
Jan 20, 2008
"Joe Smith" wrote:

Me? I never use neither hardware nor software sharpen the whole image. Once awhile I may add little sharpen around the eyes and that’s about it.

And for your question, pick your choice

– You can set Sharpen Level’s in 40D setting (I don’t use to know where)

– You can apply sharpen with either RAW converter or Photoshop.

And *if* you can see the difference then use the one gives you the best result.

My advice is using good lens, try to capture the sharp image then don’t need to worry about sharpen. If you use cheapie lens then you may not like the result of the reapired image.

– Don’t waste money on cheap lens, most of them won’t worth the trouble.

– Save money by not spending on cheapie lens to buy a top_of_the_line lens to enjoy the memory. And to spend the valuable time working on improving post processing instead of wasting time fixing poor damaged image that won’t make you happy.

Thanks
Joe
N
nomail
Jan 20, 2008
Joel wrote:

"Joe Smith" wrote:

Me? I never use neither hardware nor software sharpen the whole image. Once awhile I may add little sharpen around the eyes and that’s about it.

That is only useful if you shoot in JPEG, though. If you shoot in RAW, the sharpening setting in the camera is irrelevant.

If you shoot in RAW, you *must* sharpen in either the RAW converter or in Photoshop. RAW images are always a little soft because of the low pass filter of the camera. No camera setting can change that.

To answer the question: Unsharp Mask is as old as Photoshop itself, Smart Sharpen is a newer and better method. Learn how to use Smart Sharpen and you will get better results.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
J
Joel
Jan 20, 2008
(Johan W. Elzenga) wrote:

Joel wrote:

"Joe Smith" wrote:

That is only useful if you shoot in JPEG, though. If you shoot in RAW, the sharpening setting in the camera is irrelevant.

Thanks for the information, I did try to read a little about Sharpen setting, but it comes in one ear and out the other so I still 1/2 deaf <bg>. I did read some setting gives better color/sharpen (?) but I don’t remember which. I think I read from DPreview.com (it’s sad that the quality of forum has gone downhill comparing to many years ago).

If you shoot in RAW, you *must* sharpen in either the RAW converter or in Photoshop. RAW images are always a little soft because of the low pass filter of the camera. No camera setting can change that.
To answer the question: Unsharp Mask is as old as Photoshop itself, Smart Sharpen is a newer and better method. Learn how to use Smart Sharpen and you will get better results.

Me? sharpen is a big no no. I sometime apply some soften on female, but rarely use sharpen. And thanks for the info .. I did spend few hours toying with Smart Sharpen, UnsharpMark (?) but just to see how it works.
A
Avery
Jan 20, 2008

Thanks
Joe
Smartsharpen is a "smarter tool" , but can sometimes be a little difficult. Unsharp Mask is the
classic and works well. Both tools need to be used cleverly and in moderation. Sometimes it will be easier to use one than the other. Only experience will tell you when.

It really has nothing to do with your choice of camera and everything to do with how you want your photos to look. Whatever your camera, whatever your lens and whatever camera support you use , you will still use a sharpening filter whenever you need to.
A
Avery
Jan 20, 2008
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:08:24 -0600, Joel wrote:

"Joe Smith" wrote:

My advice is using good lens, try to capture the sharp image then don’t need to worry about sharpen. If you use cheapie lens then you may not like the result of the reapired image.

– Save money by not spending on cheapie lens to buy a top_of_the_line lens to enjoy the memory. And to spend the valuable time working on improving post processing instead of wasting time fixing poor damaged image that won’t make you happy.

Thanks
Joe
You seem to be suggesting that , as long as you buy the right hardware, you will never need Photoshop.

Sharpening filters are not there to correct the problems of a cheap or out of focus lens, although many people try to do that, almost always with poor results.

I have often used some of the best lenses available on the best bodies available, I will still use a
sharpening filter , or any other Photoshop tool , to get the image the way I want it. That is why Photoshop exists. That is why so many photographers buy it and use it regularly.

The OP wants to get his images looking the way that he wants them to look. Sharpening filters may well be a part of that. To suggest that anyone that uses a sharpening filter, either has the wrong equipment or poor technique is just wrong.

Your last sentence is nonsensical.
M
mesa
Jan 20, 2008
Joe Smith wrote:
Thanks
Joe

Open your images through Bridge.

Use the smart sharpening in there, to learn how to use it, Google up a tutorial and see how its done (ie. 100% and the alt key whilst using the sliders etc)

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html
J
Joel
Jan 20, 2008
Avery wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:08:24 -0600, Joel wrote:

"Joe Smith" wrote:

Thanks
Joe
You seem to be suggesting that , as long as you buy the right hardware, you will never need Photoshop.

Me saying that? it sounds like either my devil twin or I was taking in my dream, because I am 100% sure I never said such thing (if I am awake). And without Photoshop, I would toss my photograhy gears (probably around $20+K or so) to the river.

Sharpening filters are not there to correct the problems of a cheap or out of focus lens, although many people try to do that, almost always with poor results.

I don’t know about other but I against cheapie lens, to me it’s just a waste of money to buy unhappiness <bg>

I have often used some of the best lenses available on the best bodies available, I will still use a
sharpening filter , or any other Photoshop tool , to get the image the way I want it. That is why Photoshop exists. That is why so many photographers buy it and use it regularly.

Except the Bigma 50-500mm f4-6, all my lens are F2.8 to F1.4 (used to have f1.2 but won’t work with newer body)

The OP wants to get his images looking the way that he wants them to look. Sharpening filters may well be a part of that. To suggest that anyone that uses a sharpening filter, either has the wrong equipment or poor technique is just wrong.

It seems like the OP just dropped the bomb here then hang himself <bg>

That isn’t unusual! <bg>
K
keepout
Jan 20, 2008
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:44:04 GMT, Avery wrote:

PS can only fix the result. It can’t touch the original. Which means he’ll NEVER have it in focus, and any sub sequent copies made won’t match anything that came before it, if he relies on PS to fix all the pre-mistakes that lead up to the fuzzy original.
Good equipment, steady hands, and a knowledge of how to use them will make PS redundant.

Sharpening, I gave up on that useless tool ages ago. It really doesn’t sharpen anything unless you squint.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
B
babaloo
Jan 20, 2008
If you research the tutorials on how to use sharpening in Photoshop you will find many alternative ways, alot of conflicting information and alot of plain wrong information, particularly with regard to the settings in Smart Sharpen.
Sharpening can be done in an RGB color space, to specific color channels, in Lab Color: endless variations sworn to by users.
You can use layers and masks and sharpen only parts of an image. Regardless, when you apply sharpening, which you must, to a raw image and may need to for a jpeg, it is really an aesthetic decision more than a technical one, and based on the intended end use of the image. So the answer is you have to do your research, experiment and see what works for you.
J
Joel
Jan 20, 2008
Of course it can be done and that’s the reason why its available in the first place, but the OP (I guess the one you response to but forgot to quote, and I don’t quote yours so you have the idea how difficult to read the response without quoting some part of the original) means that FIXING isn’t the best solution.

And it’s just as simplest as fixing means you get a FIXED version from original DAMGED version.
T
Tacit
Jan 22, 2008
In article ,
"Joe Smith" wrote:

Without all the flaming of the followup posts, the answer to your question depends on what you want to do and how much time you wish to invest in learning.

Smart sharpen is a good way for a person with little technical skill to get images which look sharper. It’s easy, it’s fast, you don’t need to learn very much.

Unsharp Mask is more powerful. You have more control over precisely how the sharpening is done. Getting good results, though, requires an investment of brain power; it really, really helps to understand what it does and how it works, and the basic ideas behind it.

For starters, neither Smart Sharpen nor Unsharp Mask is capable of taking an image blurred by poor focus and generating detail not capured in the original. The best way to get high-quality output is to start from high-quality input; if your pictures are soft because your hands are shaking or because you’re not in focus when you take the picture, nothing can help you very much.

The various sharpening tools in Photoshop increase the apparent perception of sharpness by enhancing contrast along edges. They differ in how this is done.

Unsharp Mask mimics an old-scool, non-digital technique of the same name that is done by exposing the negative through a positive and slightly blurry version of the original image, the "un-sharp mask." The un-sharp mask is usually a plate of glass with photo emulsion on it, which is contact-printed from the negative either from the opposite side of the glass or through a spacer so that the positive is a bit out of focus.

The purpose of doing this is that when you project a negative through a blurry positive, the positive mutes the negative, reducing its contrast, except along the blurred edges. Light areas of the negative (which correspond to dark areas of the positive) become lighter; dark areas of the negative (which correspond to light areas of the positive) become darker. This results in localized increase in contrast along edges.

The Photoshop unsharp mask offers very fine control over sharpening, but its use requires some knowledge. Unsharp masking is part art, part science; the "best" settings depend on many factors, including the amount of noise in the image, the size and resolution at which the image will be viewed or printed, and the content of the image.

Generally speaking, the Threshold setting is used to control how much different in value two pixels need to be before they are considered an "edge." Noisy images benefit from higher Threshold settings; smooth images from lower Threshold settings.

The Radius controls the width of the effect along edges. High Radius means that the localized areas of increased contrast are wider; low Radius makes them narrower. If you are sharpening for print, this is often set to the print resolution of the image divided by 200 (for example, 1.5 for a 300 pixel per inch image)–assuming you’re printing with a halftone on press and the image resolution is twice the frequency of the halftone you’re using. Home users generally aren’t working for press, so you can safely ignore all that; for printing on a home inkjet printer I’ll usually use about 2 for the Radius,a nd for screen I usually use 1.

The Amount is the total amount of localized increase in contrast; this will vary according to the specifics of the image. If you’re sharpening for print, the image should generally look just a bit over-sharpened on screen.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
P
Peter
Jan 23, 2008
"tacit" wrote in message

Without all the flaming of the followup posts, the answer to your question depends on what you want to do and how much time you wish to invest in learning.

Smart sharpen is a good way for a person with little technical skill to get images which look sharper. It’s easy, it’s fast, you don’t need to learn very much.

Unsharp Mask is more powerful. You have more control over precisely how the sharpening is done. Getting good results, though, requires an investment of brain power; it really, really helps to understand what it does and how it works, and the basic ideas behind it.

For starters, neither Smart Sharpen nor Unsharp Mask is capable of taking an image blurred by poor focus and generating detail not capured in the original. The best way to get high-quality output is to start from high-quality input; if your pictures are soft because your hands are shaking or because you’re not in focus when you take the picture, nothing can help you very much.

The various sharpening tools in Photoshop increase the apparent perception of sharpness by enhancing contrast along edges. They differ in how this is done.

Unsharp Mask mimics an old-scool, non-digital technique of the same name that is done by exposing the negative through a positive and slightly blurry version of the original image, the "un-sharp mask." The un-sharp mask is usually a plate of glass with photo emulsion on it, which is contact-printed from the negative either from the opposite side of the glass or through a spacer so that the positive is a bit out of focus.
The purpose of doing this is that when you project a negative through a blurry positive, the positive mutes the negative, reducing its contrast, except along the blurred edges. Light areas of the negative (which correspond to dark areas of the positive) become lighter; dark areas of the negative (which correspond to light areas of the positive) become darker. This results in localized increase in contrast along edges.
The Photoshop unsharp mask offers very fine control over sharpening, but its use requires some knowledge. Unsharp masking is part art, part science; the "best" settings depend on many factors, including the amount of noise in the image, the size and resolution at which the image will be viewed or printed, and the content of the image.
Generally speaking, the Threshold setting is used to control how much different in value two pixels need to be before they are considered an "edge." Noisy images benefit from higher Threshold settings; smooth images from lower Threshold settings.

The Radius controls the width of the effect along edges. High Radius means that the localized areas of increased contrast are wider; low Radius makes them narrower. If you are sharpening for print, this is often set to the print resolution of the image divided by 200 (for example, 1.5 for a 300 pixel per inch image)–assuming you’re printing with a halftone on press and the image resolution is twice the frequency of the halftone you’re using. Home users generally aren’t working for press, so you can safely ignore all that; for printing on a home inkjet printer I’ll usually use about 2 for the Radius,a nd for screen I usually use 1.

The Amount is the total amount of localized increase in contrast; this will vary according to the specifics of the image. If you’re sharpening for print, the image should generally look just a bit over-sharpened on screen.

A quick and dirty way is to make a new layer from the original. Apply the high pass filter to about 45. At this point the image will be grey and yucky.
Change the layer blend to your choice of overlay, soft light, hard light, or vivid light.
If you have too much, back off on the opacity. If there are only areas that are over sharpened, apply a light mask.
If the image is not sharp enough, apply a second filter, or do it over again at a higher setting.
That method works well for me.
Peter
JS
Joe Smith
Jan 23, 2008
Many thanks for this explanation. I have been using PS since CS3 and have been using Smart Sharpen lately, buy most books and reviews only mention using Unsharp Marsh.
Joe
"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
"Joe Smith" wrote:

40D.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
MS
Malcolm Smith
Jan 23, 2008
Joe

True understanding of sharpening is a long and difficult road. The most easily understood tool is Unsharp Mask so this is what most is known about. Smart Sharpen (and the new tool in Camera Raw) is more difficult as we don’t know how the algorithms works and as you have probably found looking at the results on the screen is only of small use.

I suggest you look at Martin Evenings book "Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers" which has masses of technical detail and has a small section on Unsharp Mask and Smart Sharpen. One of Martins colegues the late Bruce Fraser has written what I consider the best work on Sharpening "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop CS2" but this will be hard going for a beginner but really explains why and how to apply sharpening.

Bruce explains why you need three applications at least (to correct for camera blur, to sharpen for content of the image and finally to correct blur in ink jet printing), why sharpening goes wrong and how to correct these problems.

I have heard on the net that one of Bruces colegues is updating this book. Believe me all digital images need sharpening which has been properly applied.

Malcolm
MS
Malcolm Smith
Jan 24, 2008
One additional point – Bruce is the principal author of Photokit Sharpener which is a good alturnative to reading his book and understanding it if you find the book too daunting. I think the Luminous Landscape site has review of this sharpener.

Malcolm
J
Joel
Jan 24, 2008
Well, if you believe Bruces then I guess you can learn from Bruces, but since I don’t believe Bruce so I guess I can skip class <bg>
MS
Malcolm Smith
Jan 24, 2008
Joel

The fact is most DSLR’s have a blur filter (anti Alias filter) between the lens and the sensor which blurs the image by around two pixels and an ink jet printer dithers the image on printing and the ink spreads (particularly on matt paper) so believe me all images need sharpening. The trick is to use as much as you can without the image looking over sharpened – Bruce shows how to do this on images like portraits where edges need sharpening but not skin texture etc.

Another of Bruces books has just been released updated by Jeff Schewe called "Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3". It sounds like you would be doing yourself a favour by reading both books!.

Malcolm
J
Joel
Jan 25, 2008
Malcolm

That’s what you believe Bruce and Jeff about the blur pixel, but not me. I don’t believe neither Jeff nor Bruce, and I may not even read their books if they pay me <bg>
K
KatWoman
Jan 26, 2008
"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
"Joe Smith" wrote:

40D.

an excellent informative post
thanks tacit
M
macbook
Jan 28, 2008
On 2008-01-19 09:57:05 -0330, "Joe Smith" said:

Thanks
Joe

the rmore important answer is:

Never sharpen an original image>> NEVER.
Newbies sharpen the original and wreck the image for certain usage/color correction.
Only sharpen the very last on a duplicate for specific printing job.

Sharpening is changin pixels and is destructive photoshoping.

All digital files need sharpening but each output device and size need a differnent amount.

*** the only time I sharpen the original is on a seprate layer in photoshop and when it’s with the sharpening tool to glitter earings, medals and eye shine.

Cheers,
MacBook
MS
Malcolm Smith
Jan 29, 2008
MacBook

Some of what you say is sound advice
Never sharpen an original image>> NEVER..
Always sharpen on a new layer (not the background)
Only sharpen the very last on a duplicate for specific printing job.
Print sharpening for output device should be the last thing you do (after resizing to requirements)
Sharpening is changin pixels and is destructive photoshoping.
however sharpening for source (camera and scanner blur) and for content (eg eyes, contour lines etc) if you read Bruce Frasers book I refer to above should be done as a seperate step. I specialise in fine art black and white prints so my workflow is:

1. process raw file (exposure, brightness, blacks etc) and coarse adjust contrast
2 duplicate layer in photoshop – dodge and burn
3 convert to black and white and adjust contrast etc.
4 sharpen for source (mainly blur introduced by the anti aliass filter) – Bruce shows how to control this to eliminate artifacts.
5 sharpen for content – eg a plane in the sky you would aharpen the plane outlines nut not the sky (ie don’t sharpen noise here), a portrat you might sharpen the outline, eyes etc but not the skin.
5A If there are areas of texture (leaves on a bush, denim clothes, stone etc) I sometmes sharpen these in addition.
6 add small amounts of colour to warm or cool the black amd white image 7 save image – I put "native" in the file name to indicate it is at the camera native resoluton.
8 when you need a print open the native version and resize if required 9 sharpen for printer blur (dithering and ink spread) and print.

Most people undersharpen images because they can’t control the sharpening artifacts – Bruse shows why this happens and how to control and I recommend this book.

Malcolm
J
Joel
Jan 29, 2008
macbook <privaty please> wrote:

<snip>
*** the only time I sharpen the original is on a seprate layer in photoshop and when it’s with the sharpening tool to glitter earings, medals and eye shine.

Me? the only place * *might* apply little sharpen is on the EYES of some portrait, and I never apply any sharpen to the whole image. And I may use sharpen less than 2-3% (again only to the eyes area)
MS
Malcolm Smith
Jan 30, 2008
Joel

how about e-mailing me one of your images so I can see for myself?

Malcolm
J
Joel
Jan 30, 2008
Malcolm

I said no sharpen then there should be no sharpen to see.
M
Menno
Jan 30, 2008
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Maybe you could write a little tutorial on smart sharpen and put it on your website. I found your other photoshop tutorials there quite useful and would quite appreciate your view on how to use smart sharpen properly.

Alvast bedankt,
Menno

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections