JL
Posted By
jann_lipka
Apr 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I´m trying to figure out what comes first in Macs alphabetical order Is it numbers or letters ?

Here is a folder that I sorted alphabetically :

<http://www.lipka.se/extras/alfabet_oredr.jpg>

What is driving me crazy is that number 2 comes first , then number 1 then A and at last B … so it looks like going down with numbers and down with letters …

If I copy the file names (CMD A CMD C ) and paste in text document I end up with completely different order ( compare to above image ! ) :

111.jpg
BB.jpg
2AA.jpg
111A.jpg
AA.jpg
2A.jpg
A.jpg
A1.jpg
AB.jpg
B.jpg

Am I really stupid or what ?

Could anyone pleas enlighten me with the logic of that ? Any link for explanation ?
Thanks .
Please try not to mention UNIX 🙂
This is an important issue while batchprocessing and using File Btrowser ….

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Apr 4, 2004
From your jpg;
Click once on the triangle in the blue bar.

It will swap from Z~A to A~Z.

As to the pasted order; {edit} the logic is there but reversed, someone else will be able to explain it. I s**k in english.
JL
jann_lipka
Apr 4, 2004
Ok after clicking on the arrow I get FIRST number 2A, then2AA ( I would expect 111 … ) ande then 111A).

The question is does 2 come before 1 and A;B.C.D,E in english ( MACOSX english )

As to pasted order I don’t understand your "{edit} ??????? " .. Sorry if this is confusing ..
JL
jann_lipka
Apr 4, 2004
The reason I want to sort it out is :
Most of the time I find the best way to sort images is to rename those by simply adding a prefix like A_ or 1_ at the beginning of the file name
The problem is my camera images are named something like 9C2W_1234.TIF so it means so because it is starting with numbers , it will come first in folders ….
Giving files a number prefix like 1_ is not so easy because I want to do my sorting in steps , so for example first initial rank 1_ then 11_ then 111_
but it doesn`t work …
Anyone with better ideas ?

I´m talking some days maybe a 1000 camera images to sort … This is an important time consuming issue that I would like to deal smart with .
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Apr 4, 2004
Jann

2 comes before 111
1 comes before 2
01 comes before 1
If you have 9999 picts, start with 0001.

The pasted order; I just do not get it, can’t sort the logic out of it.
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Apr 5, 2004
Jann

I did some test and it seem that in OsX you can go from 1 to 1000 without any problems.

As I recall in Os9 it was not that way because I had to start from 001 in order to get to 100 correctly.

Really sorry if I confused you more than helping.
JL
jann_lipka
Apr 5, 2004
Sylvain ,
I have a lot of fancy re naming tools in Photoshop and Iview Media Pro , but giving files sequential new names it is not the same .

All I want is to bring some files to the front of Alfa orders and some other to the back . I found a solution to this on another forum :

Stay away from numbers , and put a underscore at the file name start . two underscores at the beginning will "narrow " the selection .

"Z" should pull back to the lists end .
There is some other characters that will pull files even farther away but I´m not sure if those are html "safe"

No one seems to know the reason/logic with filenames copied/pasted in apparently random order in OSX ( it worked as expected in OS9, so it must be some of those UNIX "features" , I´m recommended sharewares that can makeit oldfashioned way )

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections