KS
Posted By
Ken Sills
Sep 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using PSE2. When I open a pre-existing JPG file and edit it using enhance, clone stamp, etc. then go to SAVE, the program happily gives me the JPG resolution selection and then does the SAVE writing over the previous image. This is what I want.

But when I use the red eye brush and then go to SAVE, PSE2 comes up with a SAVE AS dialog box and my options for saving are PSD, TIFF, several otehrs, but not JPG.

Please help! I’m sure there’s some easy answer but I can’t find it, and think I’m going crazy with this problem.

Thanks much,
Ken Sills

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2003
That is because the red eye brush turns your background into a layer in order to do its work. Try flattening the image before saving.
P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2003
Ken,

I would call this a bug. Ordinarily this happens when you do something that creates a new layer. JPG does not support layers so it pops up the save as dialog and wants to save as a copy.

I did a test and found a work around. If you flatten the image after using the red eye brush, it will save just fine.

In my copy of PSE 2, I do see jpg as an option in the format dropdown menu in the Save As dialog.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2003
Hi Barbara,

I see we were thinking along the same lines.

Funny, I hadn’t noticed that the red eye tool actually changed the background to a layer. I went back and looked and it definitely does!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Bob
PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 9, 2003
"Ken Sills" wrote in message
But when I use the red eye brush and then go to SAVE, PSE2 comes up with a SAVE AS dialog box and my options for
saving are PSD, TIFF, several otehrs, but not JPG.

Interesting. Are you using Elements on a Mac or Windows? I’m trying to figure out why your copy of Elements, along with that of two other people, doesn’t work the way the copy I’m using does.

I’m using Elements 2 on Windows, and when I go to save a file, "JPEG" is always an option. If I use it on a document that has layers, selecting "JPEG" automatically *unselects* the "Layers" checkbox in the Save As dialog, and selects the "Save as Copy" checkbox. Those two checkboxes are then grayed out, so that I can’t modify them (as long as I still have "JPEG" selected, that is).

Even with the "Save as Copy" checked, I can save over the original file (should I be silly enough to do that 🙂 ) just by doing and editing the filename by removing the " copy" from the end.

All of the above is true when I’ve used only the red eye tool, or even if I explicitly add layers to the image.

The only thing I can think of is that the Mac version works a little differently. But if you’re using the Windows version, then I have no idea what the difference might be. Very strange.

Please help! I’m sure there’s some easy answer but I can’t find it, and think I’m going crazy with this problem.

Well, I can certainly understand how the behavior you’re seeing would make you think you’re going crazy. 🙂 Thankfully, it sounds like it’s normal, at least for some users.

Pete
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 9, 2003
Peter’s description is what I see, as well.
AT
Andrew Turek
Sep 9, 2003
Damn Adobe. I saw this answer just after admitting defeat and using Save As on such of some photos taken at a family wedding as I had improved with Red-Eye Removal. The reason it matters is that you lose the correct Date Created in listings. Never mind, I shall know for the next family bash!

Andrew
KS
Ken Sills
Sep 9, 2003
After posting my message in frustration, I did another search in the forums and found the Layer: Flatten Image solution. It solves my problem. Thank you all for your replies. I can understand what PSE2 is doing and why it can’t save layers representations as JPG, but this sure could be handled by Adobe more gracefully.

Thanks again,
ken

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections