NK
Posted By
Neil_Keller
Apr 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
From what I recall, QuarkXPress CAN handle OpenType fonts — but it cannot access all of the extra glyphs. That is what XPress is dealing with. But for full access to OpenType, your choice is InDesign.

Hey, gang — as a reminder, there are a couple of VERY useful forums: ATM/Type and Typography around these parts for a lot of your font questions. Don’t be a stranger there! <vbg>

Meanwhile, back at Photoshop…

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Apr 3, 2004
Neil,

From the questions that Quark programmer was asking and his exchange with T.P. in the Typography forum, I’d say QuarkXP’s handling of OT fonts must be shaky at best. 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 3, 2004
I would phrase that as: QuarkXP’s performance is shaky at best.

:~(
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 5, 2004
Ramón,

Frankly I’m amazed that this "industry leader" can’t get its fonts act together. I’ve used QXP for 13 years (out of necessity), and there have never been any "warm fuzzies" in this relationship. Currently exploring integrating ID 3.0.1 into our workflow. But I digress! <vbg>

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 5, 2004
Neil:

Try InD.
I can almost guarantee that you will never want to look back!
JA
Just_A_Mac_Guy
Apr 5, 2004
I was not going to join in on this, but out of fairness {not any love for QX}…

Quark is old code, even Vers 6 which has not really changed other than to run in X…. OpenType® is brand new, and Adobe™ knows that only software written to accept all the glyphs in Opentype® will infact display Opentype® properly…

To suggest that Quark is bad because when it was written 10-15 years ago it did not include support for a font format whose only purpose is to make Indesign look better, is as silly as suggesting that Quark users are indeed welcome in the Indesign forums….

I take that back… Quark users are welcome as long as they switch to Indesign and stop asking about Quark..

I agree with Neil, Lets talk photoshop
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 5, 2004
<< a font format whose only purpose is to make Indesign look better >>

There is rather more to OTF than that!

The whole point is that these fonts are Unicode-compliant and platform-independent. They were not designed to make InDesign "look better" but InDesign (and other Adobe programs) were certainly designed to use the OTF advantages to the hilt.

The fact that QXP’s code was written 10-15 years ago is not bad in itself — the fact that Quark have proved incapable of updating it since is what is not only "bad" but is inexcusable.
R
Ram
Apr 5, 2004
Neil,

I’ve been using Quark just about that long too. I just got InDesign 2 and I’m making my way through the Classroom in a Book now. I still have QXP on the old Frankenmac because I occasionally need to resave a multiple language QXP Passport document before InDesign will open it or convert it. The new machine won’t accept QXP Passport because it requires an ADB hardware dongle and I refuse to give Quark more money for a USB dongle.

Most of all, I’m looking forward to the increased compatibility with Photoshop. (There, I’m back on topic now. :))
JA
Just_A_Mac_Guy
Apr 5, 2004
Sorry Anne, I meant to ad sarcastic smileys after that line…

That and the Adobe™ and Opentype® are injokes to other discussions.

Quarks upgrades??? are inexcusible… and only a little bit worse than new technology that breaks existing workflows.

At least photoshop does what you expect it to.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections