NK
Posted By
Neil_Keller
Apr 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I agree with Ann and klmhicks about a poor call on Adobe’s part not including printed manuals — if for no other reason than this is not a cheap software package, and it is easier to do extended reading from a printed book and comfy chair…

That said, klmhicks, I wonder why you posted off-topic here, rather than in the InDesign forums. Not that the folks here aren’t up to the challenge — they certainly are! <vbg> — but that forum would be more appropriate to find the day-in/day-out ID pros and their responses.

And as this is the Photoshop forum, I request further discussion on the ID/XPress product comparison be carried on across the hall in ID.

Many thanks!

Neil
Forum Host

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Apr 3, 2004
Chalk one more vote for printed manuals.

If somebody wants to spend $350-600 or more for an application on a flimsy plastic disk, I’m guessing forking an extra $35-45 for a comprehensive manual really shouldn’t be a problem, and the wisdom of spending that extra money for what you get in return should not be lost on the smart consumer.

PDF is nice because it’s searchable, but, damn, there is nothing like having good printed manuals.

NOTHING.
K
klmhicks
Apr 3, 2004
Neil

Regarding posting here: was in the middle of a dilemma – needed a proof out and wanted to know if InDesign could handle it for immediate purposes.

This all began with the Myriad font question and eluded to the suggestion of someone to convert from Quark to InDesign. I furthered the dialog for additional information.

File originated in Photoshop and to be brought into Quark/InDesign for a lot of additional text and resolve the font issue.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 3, 2004
Neil:

The value of this particular forum is that many of the people who contribute have wide-ranging knowledge of all aspects of digital production — from image-capture through to pre-press and press.

This wide range of interests and expertise is why people often choose to ask their questions here first and has been directly responsible for a significant number of people deciding to buy additional Adobe software.

With the advent of the CS suite of integrated programs, it has become even more likely that topics will become more broadly-based in this Forum.

Let’s keep it that way.
L
LRK
Apr 3, 2004
Another point on this matter…

I often post in this forum something that could be posted elsewhere. Why? Because I’m 99% sure I will get an answer… and not have to wait two days or more wondering if anybody cares.

I will say though that the InDesign forum is usually pretty responsive. They are a great group of people. Course many of them are the same ones we see here. 🙂
K
klmhicks
Apr 3, 2004
Thanks Ann!

That is exactly why I did what I did. I bought the Suite not having worked in InDesign and also recently converted from FreeHand to Illustrator.

It does get overwhelming trying to learn many things at the same time and sometimes I just want a quick answer when I am backed to the wall.

I do have to make money and work and this forum has helped and saved me many times! You yourself are a wealth of knowledge – thanks for being here I do appreciate your input.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 3, 2004
Thank you Kim for your kind comments.

We shall hope to see you here frequently in the future.
AG
Arnold_German
Apr 5, 2004
You’re all welcome in the InDesign Forum. We have a growing community led by great and helpful former Quark users.
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 5, 2004
klmhicks,

I appreciate your explanation. Thanks. But the focus of this Forum is Photoshop-related issues, just as the focus of InDesign issues is in that Forum across the hall. Of course, there is overlap in some questions, and I’m not going to make a big deal over them as long as the ones posted here are generally within the realm of what is Photoshop. I saw your question as being more appropriate for the InDesign gang. It’s a judgment call.

If we had only one forum for all of the Adobe products, then, no problem. But Adobe divided up their products into separate forums so that they would each get the attention they deserved, rather than having questions dropped in with a lot of unrelated issues that we’d have to waste time to ferret through.

It is very flattering to the participants in Photoshop that their knowledge level is respected and broadbased; and that the folks here are so consistently responsive to just about anything thrown out at them. (Photoshop folks are probably the most vocal group in these Forums!) The regulars here are absolutely terrific! And the occasional visitors ain’t so shabby either! <vbg> That said, I still ask that folks follow the guidelines for these forums and post their questions — at least initially (please!) — in the most appropriate product’s forum.

BTW, there is also a new Creative Suite Forum for those issues that are more Suite-related than individual product-related.

See you around the Forums!

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections