Posted By
carl_q_angel
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear experts,

Can anyone recommend a good photoshop book on digital color photo retouching, bringing up underexposed parts of photos while not ruining other parts of the image? I know this has something to do with the history brush, but is there any book or dvd course that goes over this stuff in detail, as well as preparing them and taking them to a lab, for enlargements, etc?

Thanks,

Carl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Apr 3, 2004
Carl,

You need to start with "Photoshop Classroom in a Book". Once you know the basics, you can branch out in any direction you want.

Photoshop has a very steep learning curve and there are no shortcuts.
R
Ram
Apr 3, 2004
The Photoshop Fundamental Techniques series of QuickTime videos on CD-ROM by Julieanne Kost published by Software Cinema is also a great starting point. There’s also an Advanced Technique series from the same source.

In your case, this route is what I would be inclined to recommend.
P
Phosphor
Apr 3, 2004
Katrin Eismann’s Photoshop Restoration & Retouching, Second Edition < http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735713502/qid =1080977009/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl14/103-4440644-48486 01?v=glance&s=books&n=507846> is a real good one.

It’ll teach you a lot, and her writing style is easy to understand.

Check this:
<http://www.creativepro.com/printerfriendly/story/21117.html>

The tutorial PDF is about 12 MB, and when I grabbed it the CreativePro server was really slow on the delivery. Hope ya got broadband!
H
halscheyer
Apr 4, 2004
I agree with Phosphor that Katrin Eismann’s book is an excellent resource. Another that you might look at is the "Photoshop CS Bible" by Deke McClelland, which pretty much covers most aspects of Photoshop. A couple of versions back I used the "Classroom in a Book" and found it very helpful – it has probably been updated.
P
Phosphor
Apr 4, 2004
Also, Carl…go have a good long dig through the RetouchPro.com <http://www.retouchpro.com> site.
M
macmanx
Apr 4, 2004
Phosphor,

Thanks much’o for that link…VERY informative! I especially enjoyed the excellent tutorial on there for making eyes ‘POP’ … truly insightful and illuminating (pun intended).

Carl, next time you’re in a bookstore, check out Scott Kelby’s ‘the photoshop CS book for digital photographers’. He’s got some whiz-bang retouching tips all throughout the book. One of the best PS books I’ve bought in a while.
CQ
carl_q_angel
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks, folks. These are my wedding photos, which my wife wasn’t too happy with, so it’s pretty delicate stuff. I’m currently using Photoshop 7. Is there a HUGE difference between that and CS? Would upgrading to CS make the retouching easier?

Sorry to be sounding like such an amateur, but I am!

Thanks again,

Carl
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 5, 2004
One thing, which is in CS but not in 7, that you would probably find helpful is the new Shadow/Highlight filter — particularly if the photographer’s lighting left a lot to be desired. Otherwise, you can probably do what you need to do well enough in 7.0.1
CQ
carl_q_angel
Apr 6, 2004
What version of photoshop does Katrin Eismann’s book (the latest edition) cover? I just ordered it.
C
C._Cheatham
Apr 7, 2004
A very good book for a variety of users is "Photoshop Artistry" by Barry Haynes and Wendy Krumpler. It is specifically geared to photographers when most Photoshop books are intended for graphics professionals.

The book presents a series of step-by-step excercises and comes with a CD of the images to use, and the layered files of the correctly performed excercises. It has retouching techniques, detailed info on Levels, Curves and most of the other adjustment layers.

It also gets into using some of the new digital printers for fine art output, color management, etc.

very good book
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
I second that opinion.

That is the book that I always recommend to people who are just getting into Photoshop — as well as to those that have been using it for quite some time and still don’t have much of a clue of what it is about.
M
macmanx
Apr 7, 2004
Yep, I third that.. I bought his version for Photoshop 5, and never regretted it for a second. What makes his books even more appealing is that he keeps running updated articles on his books contents via his website. Highly recommended!

I’m also partial to Jack Davis & Linnea Dayton’s series of PS WOW books. Excellent tutorials all throughout the covers, all in living color. A little pricey, maybe… but worth every penny.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 7, 2004
I was reading through this post and would like to say you guys are pretty cool! I wrote down some of the book titles you all recommended. Sorry for butting in, but I can use all the help I can get.

JEJ
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
"Butting-in" is thoroughly encouraged in this Forum.

The more input, from the more people, the better!
JE
James_Earl_Jones
Apr 7, 2004
Amen sister….amen!
CQ
carl_q_angel
Apr 7, 2004
And amen to that amen!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections