SG
Posted By
Scottie_G.
Apr 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m reading a bit about clipping masks. Bit confusing, but seems they are mostly for combining images and text correct? Is that the main use?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 22, 2005
A clipping mask is for allowing something to display only within the confines of another object, which acts as a mask. The object used as a clipping mask can be text, but it can be anything else, as well. For example, I used a set of circles the size of the printable area on a CD to create a clipping mask. Put an image above it, activate the clipping mask, and only the part that fits within the clipping mask is visible and printable. It’s still there, however, so it can be moved, transformed, run through a filter, etc. so it works best on the CD label.
L
LenHewitt
Apr 22, 2005
D
deebs
Apr 22, 2005
Hmmm clipping masks? What are they, what do they do and are they any use at all?

I may be mistaken but first of all let’s start with a mask, vector mask – whatever the name is. A clipping mask is a special form of vector mask.

Here are the 3 ways (at least!) in which an adjustment may be applied to an image:

1 – Image > Adjustments > (select the adjustment)

2 – Add an adjustment layer

3 – Add an adjustment layer then Alt + click to indent it in the Layers pallet ever so gently

At this point you may be wondering: Oh No! Has deebs has blown it? Has lost the point? Are we all doomed?

(the answers are, of course, are No, No, Yes but in no particular order)

Now then, a clipping mask addresses the same meta-questions that addressing the above 3 points raises. See if you can figure an answer of your own… post it here and we may further discuss

deebs
SG
Scottie_G.
Apr 23, 2005
thanks everyone. great explanation Michael.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 23, 2005
You’re welcome.
D
deebs
Apr 23, 2005
I may be mistaken with apologies if I am, but aren’t there non-trivial differences between a mask (sometimes called a vector mask?) and a clipping mask.

If so, the definition you (both) are adhering to is incorrect and a bit out
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 24, 2005
From page 413 of the PSCS PDF manual:

Creating clipping masks

You can use the content of a layer to mask the layers above it. The transparent pixels of the bottom or base layer mask out the content of layers above it that are part of a clipping mask. For example, you might have a shape on one layer, a texture on the overlying layer, and some text on the topmost layer. If you define all three layers as part of a clipping mask, the texture and the text appear only through the shape on the base layer, and take on the opacity of the base layer.

Note that only successive layers can be included in a clipping mask. The name of the base layer in the mask is underlined, and the thumbnails for the overlying layers are indented. Additionally, the overlying layers display a clipping mask icon . The Blend Clipped Layers as Group option in the Layer Style dialog box determines whether the blending mode of the base affects the whole group or just the base.

That is pretty much what I described in English above, except that I used a vector mask to create the clipping mask.
D
deebs
Apr 24, 2005
Looks like they’ve made a mistake?

Surely I can’t be wrong?
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 24, 2005
!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections