Posted By
Donna
Jul 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Running Win98SE, 512 mg Ram, 19 gig harddrive (9+ gig free), PS7.01

A recent problem has developed with PS. Just trying to accomplish the simplest task is taking forever. Example: I just tried to open a file in PS that is simply a 6×8 postcard with 2 sets of guidelines (bleed area on card). I waited 4 minutes and gave up and ctrl+alt+del informed me that PS was not responding. Another example, with a PS file open (132 mg file size) I clicked on a layer to change the color overlay of an effect. Took over 3 minutes to bring up the correct window to do this.

I have reinstalled PS7.01, scandisk, defrag & checked for viruses and rebooted between problems. Also, fyi I don’t have any other programs open while using PS–including virusscan–nada–except what Windows programs have to run in background.

I am very concerned as the school semester is rapidly approaching and I will be taking another PS and Illustrator class. Jeez–a new hard drive or worse, a new computer?????? Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RD
Robert Dennis
Jul 30, 2003
Have your tried checking the Windows/Temp file? Many times when that is overloaded with "refuse" PShop can’t function. Especially when you’re using Win98.

Also try deleting the preferences file. Just after you click your launch icon (or however you launch PS), hold down the Cntrl+Alt+Shft buttons, and PS will ask if you want to delete your settings. It will revert to its factory settings, and may then clear up your troubles.

Rob
www.RFDco.com

"Donna" wrote in message
A recent problem has developed with PS. Just trying to accomplish the simplest task is taking forever. Example: I just tried to open a file in PS that is simply a 6×8 postcard with 2 sets of guidelines (bleed area on card). I waited 4 minutes and gave up and ctrl+alt+del informed me that PS was not responding. Another example, with a PS file open (132 mg file size) I clicked on a layer to change the color overlay of an effect. Took over 3 minutes to bring up the correct window to do this.
I have reinstalled PS7.01, scandisk, defrag & checked for viruses and rebooted between problems. Also, fyi I don’t have any other programs open while using PS–including virusscan–nada–except what Windows programs have to run in background.

I am very concerned as the school semester is rapidly approaching and I will be taking another PS and Illustrator class. Jeez–a new hard drive or worse, a new computer?????? Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

D
Don
Jul 30, 2003
Also, have you installed any new software or hardware lately? The symptoms you describe are also consistent with a faulty driver, often an old one. If that’s the case, you might look for an updated driver. M$ had a lot of trouble with plug-and-pray in Win9x.

Don

"Donna" wrote in message

D
daglob
Jul 31, 2003
"Rob" …
Have your tried checking the Windows/Temp file? Many times when that is overloaded with "refuse" PShop can’t function. Especially when you’re using Win98.

Along this line, check and see how much space your Temporary Internet Files is taking up. And if you have a CD burner, check the directory its program is in and be sure there isn’t a 600mb temporary file lurking there.

This is stating the obvious, so I apologize ahead of time, but did you make sure that any lost chains Scandisk found have been deleted?
D
Donna
Jul 31, 2003
I have checked and deleted all of my tmp files. I ran another scandisk and defrag this morning. No problems found on scandisk. Only one new program recently–FontManager, but it is latest version and I believe the problems started prior to this little program.

An interesting development has occurred. I am trying frantically to backup all of my files (fearing the worst) to my CD burner. When I tried to backup one of my large folders of design files, the CD failed to back up and told me that there was a problem writing to disk–of course it didn’t point to a particular file–just said it couldn’t do it. The file was only 400+mg and I am using 800 mg CDs. My next thought is to open this graphic folder and begin backing up the files one by one until I find one that won’t write to disk. Naturally, all of the files in this folder are either Illy, PS or InDesign.

Question: If there is a corrupted PS file (one of mine–not PS), could this cause the program to behave like this? BTW, I have also deleted all of my presets and gone to default, but still the problems persist. Took 3 minutes to respond to the command File-New. Jeez, of course, I basically can’t do a damn thing at this rate. I’ll be happy to entertain any more suggestions. Thanks everyone for trying to help me–I do appreciate it.

Don wrote:
Also, have you installed any new software or hardware lately? The symptoms you describe are also consistent with a faulty driver, often an old one. If that’s the case, you might look for an updated driver. M$ had a lot of trouble with plug-and-pray in Win9x.

Don

"Donna" wrote in message

B
ben-dover
Jul 31, 2003
just a stupid thought but have you emptied the clipboard? i think its under the edit dropdown menu.
"Donna" wrote in message
I have checked and deleted all of my tmp files. I ran another scandisk and defrag this morning. No problems found on scandisk. Only one new program recently–FontManager, but it is latest version and I believe the problems started prior to this little program.

An interesting development has occurred. I am trying frantically to backup all of my files (fearing the worst) to my CD burner. When I tried to backup one of my large folders of design files, the CD failed to back up and told me that there was a problem writing to disk–of course it didn’t point to a particular file–just said it couldn’t do it. The file was only 400+mg and I am using 800 mg CDs. My next thought is to open this graphic folder and begin backing up the files one by one until I find one that won’t write to disk. Naturally, all of the files in this folder are either Illy, PS or InDesign.

Question: If there is a corrupted PS file (one of mine–not PS), could this cause the program to behave like this? BTW, I have also deleted all of my presets and gone to default, but still the problems persist. Took 3 minutes to respond to the command File-New. Jeez, of course, I basically can’t do a damn thing at this rate. I’ll be happy to entertain any more suggestions. Thanks everyone for trying to help me–I do appreciate it.

Don wrote:
Also, have you installed any new software or hardware lately? The
symptoms
you describe are also consistent with a faulty driver, often an old one.
If
that’s the case, you might look for an updated driver. M$ had a lot of trouble with plug-and-pray in Win9x.

Don

"Donna" wrote in message

B
Bryce
Jul 31, 2003
well, with that infomation, maybe you should network your computer to someone else’s and move everything over there for the time being, just in case……

"Donna" wrote in message

Don wrote:
symptoms
If
that’s the case, you might look for an updated driver. M$ had a lot of trouble with plug-and-pray in Win9x.

Don

"Donna" wrote in message

D
Donna
Jul 31, 2003
There is nothing in the Windows clipboard, and I will check PS (didn’t realize there was one in PS) assuming that I can get it to work this morning. Wish I could send my files over to another computer, but that is not doable. I did finally manage to back everything up though to CDs. Thanks everybody and keep thinking please.

ben-dover wrote:
just a stupid thought but have you emptied the clipboard? i think its under the edit dropdown menu.
"Donna" wrote in message

Don wrote:

symptoms

If

Don

"Donna" wrote in message

D
Donna
Aug 1, 2003
One more thing-I did check my Scratch disk settings. Default is set for startup, but there is nothing set up beyond that. I am new to PS, so I am not sure–I only have one hard drive (C)–should I set the one after startup to "C" something?

Bryce wrote:
well, with that infomation, maybe you should network your computer to someone else’s and move everything over there for the time being, just in case……

"Donna" wrote in message

Don wrote:

symptoms

If

Don

"Donna" wrote in message

RD
Robert Dennis
Aug 1, 2003
Having the Scratch Disk set to Startup is a bad thing actually. Just have the ‘C’ drive selected if that’s all you have. And while you’re at it, click next to get to the Memory Usage and set the slider to 70%. Again check your Windows Temp folder periodically and make sure its clear.

Rob

"Donna" wrote in message
One more thing-I did check my Scratch disk settings. Default is set for startup, but there is nothing set up beyond that. I am new to PS, so I am not sure–I only have one hard drive (C)–should I set the one after startup to "C" something?

Bryce wrote:
well, with that infomation, maybe you should network your computer to someone else’s and move everything over there for the time being, just
in
case……

"Donna" wrote in message

Don wrote:

symptoms

you describe are also consistent with a faulty driver, often an old
one.
If

Don

"Donna" wrote in message

A recent problem has developed with PS. Just trying to accomplish the simplest task is taking forever. Example: I just tried to open a file
in
PS that is simply a 6×8 postcard with 2 sets of guidelines (bleed area on card). I waited 4 minutes and gave up and ctrl+alt+del informed me that PS was not responding. Another example, with a PS file open (132
mg
file size) I clicked on a layer to change the color overlay of an effect. Took over 3 minutes to bring up the correct window to do
this.

I am very concerned as the school semester is rapidly approaching and
I
will be taking another PS and Illustrator class. Jeez–a new hard
drive
or worse, a new computer?????? Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.
TU
Thomas Uzel
Aug 1, 2003
You might have spybots running in the background that you can’t see. Go to spybot.com. He has a freeware program that will rid you of the spybots. Spybots are tracking programs that web sites put on your computer without you knowing. They can track everything from sites you go to, to files that you regularly open.

Just a thought
Tom
"ben-dover" <http://www.gilligan@theisle> wrote in message
just a stupid thought but have you emptied the clipboard? i think its
under
the edit dropdown menu.
"Donna" wrote in message

Don wrote:
symptoms
you describe are also consistent with a faulty driver, often an old
one.
If
that’s the case, you might look for an updated driver. M$ had a lot
of
trouble with plug-and-pray in Win9x.

Don

"Donna" wrote in message

A recent problem has developed with PS. Just trying to accomplish the simplest task is taking forever. Example: I just tried to open a file
in
PS that is simply a 6×8 postcard with 2 sets of guidelines (bleed area on card). I waited 4 minutes and gave up and ctrl+alt+del informed me that PS was not responding. Another example, with a PS file open (132
mg
file size) I clicked on a layer to change the color overlay of an effect. Took over 3 minutes to bring up the correct window to do
this.

I am very concerned as the school semester is rapidly approaching and
I
will be taking another PS and Illustrator class. Jeez–a new hard
drive
or worse, a new computer?????? Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

D
Donna
Aug 2, 2003
I have the answer and I am posting this as so many of you tried to help solve the problem. Today, I had a computer tech over (ex Microsoft tech) as other problems were developing along the same lines. Here was the solution: Windows has two files called MDM.exe (Windows) and MOSearch.exe (belongs to Office XP). MDM.exe will start running of its own free will when certain conditions come into play-no record of what those are, sorry. It literally can write hundres of zero-length files and before long, your temp files are huge. Mosearch.exe, is an OfficeXP file that decides to index files and basically takes over your hard drive. Nothing else functions when this is happening.

Now you may ask, what invoked these two files all of a sudden? I have no damn idea. I do have Office XP, but it was installed over nine months ago and i have not installed any MS programs for at least that long. At any rate, things seem to be moving along now as Techie remmed both files from my startup and registry entries.

I hope all of this might help someone in the future. Again, thanks everyone so much for all of your efforts. I didn’t feel so quite alone in my nightmare.

Donna wrote:

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections