MB
Posted By
Matthew_Banks
Apr 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. I am running PhotoShop CS 8.0. At the University for which I work, we are building a new Residence Hall and are looking at color schemes for it and the surrounding buildings. I have a Sherwin Williams color swatch I built, as it is that brand of paint we use.

The people I’m building the templates for want to be able to sit down and experiment with different colors. Changing them as they want is not a big deal, but here’s where the problem I’m having is.

I’m painting over existing pictures using a Wacom tablet, creating a smooth, natural appearance with different opacities. If I fill the layers I’ve made using the paint bucket tool, it fills the layer at 100% opacity, creating an uneven, pixelated look. Using the color replacement brush stays true to the painting I have done, but not the Sherwin Williams color values I’m using.

The answer I’ve found is in using the "Replace Color" tool under "Image-> Adjustments". As I am using specific colors, however, my job gets complicated. I click on the "result" swatch, but when I hit the "custom" button, my color swatch does not show up in the list with the rest of the PhotoShop Only swatches. I put a copy of the swatch in both my "Color Swatch" folder and the subfolder "Photosphop Only".

I can enter the RGB values individually, but for the sake of the job I’m doing, it would streamline meeting time and ease of use during these meetings, as well as save paper (as I will otherwise have to print the entire Excel file with the RGB values).

Would anyone happen to know how to use my custom color swatch with the "Replace Color" tool, or have an alternative method to rapidly switch precise colors?

Sorry for the length of my post, but I wanted to be as complete as possible. Thank you in advance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 21, 2005
The book color picker has nothing to do with user made swatches – it is only for commercial color books.

You can still use the result color picker and pick from the swatches palette while the picker dialog is visible…
MB
Matthew_Banks
Apr 22, 2005
I had tried using swatches palette with the picker open; I found I couldn’t scroll up or down while it was open, though, giving me only five color options. After reading your post I played a little more, and if I resize the window even a little it unlocks the scroll bar. That will work perfectly!

Thank you very much for your help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections