LJ
Posted By
Lynn Johnton
Jul 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, I’ve had this problem before. No, it does not crash when it’s loading. It doesn’t crash when loading fonts or anything like that. Before I had this problem, it took my forever to find a solution. I deleted this file (believe it was a .dll) and everything was better. The problem is Photoshop freezes up during normal commands. Use paintbrush, it freezes. Try to crop, it freezes. Try to move image or use Brightness/Contrast, it freezes. We just lost all of C Drive and I reinstalled Photoshop and I’m getting the same problem again! Except now I forgot how to fix it.

Imageready is really stable, but I need to use Channels and the Pen tool so it just won’t do. I’ve tried deleting all prefs, that doesn’t help. Does anyone know what I should do? I’ve tried reinstalling, but no luck.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave milbut
Jul 22, 2003
is the system freezing or just photoshop? what os? what ps version?
DM
dave milbut
Jul 22, 2003
again what os. complete freezes in win2k or xp indicate a hardware failure…

Mathias Vejerslev "Computer locks up, shuts down, or reboots while running Photoshop" 6/5/03 4:49pm </cgi-bin/webx?50/1>
JD
Jerry Dell
Jul 23, 2003
When I go to brightness/contrast Photoshop 7.0.01 goes to the eye dropper tool and locks up. The XP operating system is otherwise OK. I’ve reinstalled the program in Safe mode and removed emoved some drivers to no avail. It’s driving me crazy. How do I delete the prefs?
DM
dave milbut
Jul 23, 2003
see this thread jerry:

Mathias Vejerslev "Dialog box is missing??" 10/29/02 2:06pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>

sounds like a dialog is off the screen.

dave
JD
Jerry Dell
Jul 24, 2003
I solved my problem, much like Lynn’s, by selecting "reset all warning dialogs" in General Preferences (ps 7.0.1).
P
primitivedogs
Jul 24, 2003
Dave,
I consider an application lockup a system freeze when the mouse pointer stops working, task manager will not implement and there is nothing I can do but power down. Yes, the computer continues to run and there is no bluescreen but you can’t do anything with it. Your point is taken though.
DM
dave milbut
Jul 24, 2003
mike yes, that’s a system freeze. the diff between that and an app lockup is that the app will freeze, but the task can be ended w/task mgr. and the rest of the system remains stable.

in the case you describe above (system restart needed) it’s invariably hardware related in xp and 2k.
TT
Tricia Timmermans
Jul 24, 2003
Since purchasing PS 7 (and upgrading to 7.0.1) and using it with Windows XP Home edition, I have had nothing but trouble. It mostly happens when working with files uploaded from my Nikon Coolpix 995. The PS7 disappears in a split second. I thought it was only when using the "Save" command. Also, often the mouse can not be used to drag the toolbox to another spot on the screen. It just won’t move. I have re installed PS7 (then again downloaded the upgrade) several times.
I’ve tried the CONTROL ALT DELETE on starting the program, and this doesn’t work either. Any ideas? Tricia
DM
dave milbut
Jul 24, 2003
not crtl-alt-delete trisha, crtl-alt-shift. see this faq:

Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 2/11/03 1:04pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
Tricia – please start a new topic instead of adding to an unrelated one.
DM
dave milbut
Jul 24, 2003
That title is a catch all. How long do you think before a dialog box is missing question shows up in here? 🙂
PP
Paul Pollock
Aug 10, 2003
am ruuning XP Professional; 512 MB RAM; scratch is to second hard drive; memory for photoshop is set at 85%; and I have the same FREEZE problem that is described above. When I use the raser, the whole system freezes, and I cannot do anything except shut the whole computer down. Did you fidn any solution? I deleted the preferecnes; re-installed; etc etc and the problem is stil there!
P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
And did you read the FAQ before posting this?
KT
koos.takSMOESRER
Aug 10, 2003
"Paul Pollock" wrote in message
am ruuning XP Professional; 512 MB RAM; scratch is to second hard
drive; memory for photoshop is set at 85%; and I have the same FREEZE problem that is described above. When I use the raser, the whole system freezes, and I cannot do anything except shut the whole computer down. Did you fidn any solution? I deleted the preferecnes; re-installed; etc etc and the problem is stil there!

Asus mobo?
P
photos
Aug 31, 2003
I am also getting a frozen system. Was any solution discussed here??

Howard

"K. Tak" wrote in message
"Paul Pollock" wrote in message
am ruuning XP Professional; 512 MB RAM; scratch is to second hard
drive; memory for photoshop is set at 85%; and I have the same FREEZE problem that is described above. When I use the raser, the whole system freezes, and I cannot do anything except shut the whole computer down. Did you fidn any solution? I deleted the preferecnes; re-installed; etc etc and the problem is stil there!

Asus mobo?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections