Posted By
Mike Russell
Jan 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"Joel" wrote in message
Since my health hasn’t been the top so I haven’t had much time to explore the new CS3 as much as would like to. I still do a little but not much.
Few days ago, I tried to CROP few images to find out that the CROP tool has changed, and I would like to be able to use the older CS2 and earlier which I think they are much better than CS3 option.

Or I am shooting hi-rez image over 10GP image and with

– CS2 and older Photoshop when I CROP the image still have >300-PPI (or still have the MAX PIXEL).

– CS3, it now has FIXED selections like 4x6x300 PPI or 8x10x300 PPI etc.. so
why do I have to downgrade or lower the number of pixel to meet the 300-PPI
selection?. Me? I don’t believe in 300-PPI like some does, and I want my original unsampled (100% crop instead of in/decreasing the PPI)
Or I may overlooked something? I am Googling for more information now, and posting the message here just incase I can get more information than what I may be able to google.

Hi Joel,

The crop tool supports the same functionality as in older versions. It is just rearranged slightly. To reset the crop tool, click the "Clear" button on the far right of the toolbar, then leave the resolution blank to keep your original pixels after the crop.

Earlier versions of Photoshop had a button with two reset options at the left edge. This has been changed to a list of presets, which may be the cause of your confusion.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike Russell
Jan 7, 2008
"Joel" wrote in message
[re entering numbers in the crop tool settings]

– I move the cursor to the "width" where Photoshop displays <-> then I drag
the <-> inside the BOX then type "4" (same with the Height) then I can be able to slide the <-> to change the #’s (value).

Somehow you are always getting the double arrow "slider" cursor, instead of the normal text I-beam cursor. It’s time for the famous three fingered salute: clear your settings by holding down ctrl-alt-shift while Photoshop is starting. Then see if you can enter numbers into these boxes in the usual way.

Without moving the <-> inside the box I can’t be able to enter any number. And now I can have the resolution "BLANK" and haven’t done any further test
to see if CS3 will keep the original (max) resolution or not.

As designed, the <-> cursor should appear over the text label for a numeric field, but the numeric value should be editable in the usual way. If you have the ctrl key down, Photoshop forces the double arrow cursor to appear over the entire numeric field.

It’s a longshot, but are you using an unusual keyboard arrangement, or a large screen font? As you mention, this may be an issue for Adobe. Their forum news server seems to have kicked the bucket some time ago. The forum is still available via a web interface at
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b366/ .

Anyway, thanks for the information, and it gives me a chance to try more to be able to report what I am doing at my end <bg>

These things have a mind of their own. With luck, the ctrl-alt-shift salute will do the trick.

J
Joel
Jan 7, 2008
Since my health hasn’t been the top so I haven’t had much time to explore the new CS3 as much as would like to. I still do a little but not much.

Few days ago, I tried to CROP few images to find out that the CROP tool has changed, and I would like to be able to use the older CS2 and earlier which I think they are much better than CS3 option.

– CS2 and older Photoshop when I CROP the image still have >300-PPI (or still have the MAX PIXEL).

– CS3, it now has FIXED selections like 4x6x300 PPI or 8x10x300 PPI etc.. so why do I have to downgrade or lower the number of pixel to meet the 300-PPI selection?. Me? I don’t believe in 300-PPI like some does, and I want my original unsampled (100% crop instead of in/decreasing the PPI)

Or I may overlooked something? I am Googling for more information now, and posting the message here just incase I can get more information than what I may be able to google.

Thank You!
J
Joel
Jan 8, 2008
"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message

– CS3, it now has FIXED selections like 4x6x300 PPI or 8x10x300 PPI etc.. so
why do I have to downgrade or lower the number of pixel to meet the 300-PPI
selection?. Me? I don’t believe in 300-PPI like some does, and I want my original unsampled (100% crop instead of in/decreasing the PPI)

Hi Joel,

The crop tool supports the same functionality as in older versions. It is just rearranged slightly. To reset the crop tool, click the "Clear" button on the far right of the toolbar, then leave the resolution blank to keep your original pixels after the crop.

Earlier versions of Photoshop had a button with two reset options at the left edge. This has been changed to a list of presets, which may be the cause of your confusion.

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try next time I fire up the CS3… I am loading it now to see what I can do with this before I forget..

Hmmm YES I can see the "CLEAR" button which I can clear the current selection, and I can also be able to Increase/Decrease the "Resolution".

But that isn’t what I really want, or I don’t want the "Resolution’s" but just leave the original "resolution" alone.

-Example the original is 4x6x650 (what my camera has) then why CS3 thinks I want to decrease to 4x6x300 (1/2 the resolution)?.

Also, just like quite afew other CS3 users having problem with the CS3’s CROP tool (I can’t get to Adobe’s forum cuz it reported not available), I can’t be able to enter any number on any box. Except I can SLIDE the in/decrease the #’s after select one of the Pre-Set Crop’s (I was able to get some number on 1 box after kept tapping the 4444444444 and only ONCE <bg>).

OKKKK.. yup! I tried and tried and tried <bg> and finally be able to enter some #’s in the boxes of W x H and leave the RES emptied, but not easy … OK it’s easier now. Man it’s a pain in the donkey and this is what I have to do.

– I move the cursor to the "width" where Photoshop displays <-> then I drag the <-> inside the BOX then type "4" (same with the Height) then I can be able to slide the <-> to change the #’s (value).

Without moving the <-> inside the box I can’t be able to enter any number. And now I can have the resolution "BLANK" and haven’t done any further test to see if CS3 will keep the original (max) resolution or not.

Anyway, thanks for the information, and it gives me a chance to try more to be able to report what I am doing at my end <bg>
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 9, 2008
"Dave" wrote in message
….
I am only seventeen years of age, walking 10 kilometer every morning at 5 am,

5 am? I’m generally in bed by that time.

J
Joel
Jan 9, 2008
"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message
[re entering numbers in the crop tool settings]

– I move the cursor to the "width" where Photoshop displays <-> then I drag
the <-> inside the BOX then type "4" (same with the Height) then I can be able to slide the <-> to change the #’s (value).

Somehow you are always getting the double arrow "slider" cursor, instead of the normal text I-beam cursor. It’s time for the famous three fingered salute: clear your settings by holding down ctrl-alt-shift while Photoshop is starting. Then see if you can enter numbers into these boxes in the usual way.

Hey! this would be life saver cuz I am a little too old to learn new option especially trying to figure out how to use the newer feature <bg>. And it seems like Photoshop is using similar start-up command Corel Painter does (?), and I may have read the combination before but never thought I have the similar problem to remember. THANKS

Without moving the <-> inside the box I can’t be able to enter any number. And now I can have the resolution "BLANK" and haven’t done any further test
to see if CS3 will keep the original (max) resolution or not.

As designed, the <-> cursor should appear over the text label for a numeric field, but the numeric value should be editable in the usual way. If you have the ctrl key down, Photoshop forces the double arrow cursor to appear over the entire numeric field.

I will have to do some practicing to have a better understanding of how CS3 works, and it would help me to remember.

It’s a longshot, but are you using an unusual keyboard arrangement, or a large screen font? As you mention, this may be an issue for Adobe. Their forum news server seems to have kicked the bucket some time ago. The forum is still available via a web interface at
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b366/ .

I always try to Google for the answer, but for some reason I can’t be able to connect to Adobe Forum (I have registered and read message there once awhile)

I just tried and the link above works.

These things have a mind of their own. With luck, the ctrl-alt-shift salute will do the trick.

So I ain’t the only one with CS3 has a mind of its own <bg>. I am a 2 hands Photoshop user, but can’t remember all keyboard commands <bg>

Again, thanks for the information.
D
Dave
Jan 9, 2008
Joel wrote:

Hey! this would be life saver cuz I am a little too old to learn new option especially trying to figure out how to use the newer feature <bg>.

Uncle, it is about time somebody point out to you the fact that you are as old as you think you are. Keep pointing out your age and health may gray your hair and boost the doctors bank account.

I am only seventeen years of age, walking 10 kilometer every morning at 5 am, and my grand daughters do not call me grandpa, but do call me on my name.

Dave
J
Joel
Jan 9, 2008
Dave wrote:

Joel wrote:

Hey! this would be life saver cuz I am a little too old to learn new option especially trying to figure out how to use the newer feature <bg>.

Uncle, it is about time somebody point out to you the fact that you are as old as you think you are. Keep pointing out your age and health may gray your hair and boost the doctors bank account.

Thanks for the advice, and I hope today I can skip the evening pills <bg>

I am only seventeen years of age, walking 10 kilometer every morning at 5 am, and my grand daughters do not call me grandpa, but do call me on my name.

Good family tree! and because of the culture (I guess there are lot of thing you may have to learn from grand-kids <bg>) my grand-kids even my kids will get kicked out of the house (unless they are too small) if they call me by name <bg>

I hope some culture information will make you at least 15 years younger <bg>

Dave
J
Joel
Jan 10, 2008
"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Hahaha the funny part Dave said that he is seventeen with grand-kids. This I only read a girls in some country in Africa continent married and gave birth at the age of 7, then her daughter gave birth at the age of 7. So she was grand-mom 3 years earlier than Dave, but I didn’t read she has more than one grand-kid at the age of 14.

So I guess both are winners <bg> Also, I usually already up at 5am, ready for morning pills and diabetes shot (usually around 6am).
D
Dave
Jan 10, 2008
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:51:43 +0800, "Mike Russell" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Mike, in the summer (and it is mid summer now) the sun shows its face in the vicinity of 4:45am..!
Our minimum temperatures differ sometimes 3 or 4 degrees to the maximum (Monday 19° C – 23° C or 67° F – 73° F, so don’t be surprised.

5 am? That is normally 4 to 5 hours after I got in bed, and at 5 am the sun is shining:-)

Some interesting info:
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/68588.html

Dave
D
Dave
Jan 10, 2008
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:25:53 -0600, Joel wrote:

"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Hahaha the funny part Dave said that he is seventeen with grand-kids. This I only read a girls in some country in Africa continent married and gave birth at the age of 7, then her daughter gave birth at the age of 7. So she was grand-mom 3 years earlier than Dave, but I didn’t read she has more than one grand-kid at the age of 14.

Hahaha, I am from Africa…:-)))
http://home.intekom.com/davesplace/kjkdeedee.jpg

Dave
D
Dave
Jan 10, 2008
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 14:54:25 -0600, Joel wrote:

Good family tree! and because of the culture (I guess there are lot of thing you may have to learn from grand-kids <bg>) my grand-kids even my kids will get kicked out of the house (unless they are too small) if they call me by name <bg>

I learned them computers, and I teach them kayaking:-)
I insisted being called on my name. Even my daughters
are in the same habit, and I simply love it

http://dave.photos.gb.net/p40034295.html

http://dave.photos.gb.net/p44957278.html

Dave
J
Joel
Jan 10, 2008
Dave wrote:

"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Hahaha then you must know your QUEEN well, as I remember she was married to the KING and gave birth to her first daughter at the age of 7. I don’t remember the exact name of the country, trible but I do remember what I read (years ago).
J
Joel
Jan 10, 2008
Dave wrote:

Well, when I was teaching martial-arts in USA Americans called me by name too, but not my kids nor grand-kids. And I am not talking about habit or disrepectful, but it’s culture and even they were born, grown up. married, having children of there own, and in America.
D
dvus
Jan 11, 2008
"Dave" wrote in message

"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Hahaha the funny part Dave said that he is seventeen with grand-kids. This
I only read a girls in some country in Africa continent married and gave birth at the age of 7, then her daughter gave birth at the age of 7. So she
was grand-mom 3 years earlier than Dave, but I didn’t read she has more than
one grand-kid at the age of 14.

Is that an all-wood bridge?

dvus
D
dvus
Jan 11, 2008
"Dave" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

Mike, in the summer (and it is mid summer now) the sun shows its face in the vicinity of 4:45am..!
Our minimum temperatures differ sometimes 3 or 4 degrees to the maximum (Monday 19° C – 23° C or 67° F – 73° F, so don’t be surprised.
5 am? That is normally 4 to 5 hours after I got in bed, and at 5 am the sun is shining:-)

Some interesting info:

Wow, all the pop-ups in the background trying to materialize sound like a machine gun!

dvus
D
dvus
Jan 11, 2008
"Dave" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

Some interesting info:

Ignore my previous post, I accidentally had my crap-blocker turned off. With it on, the page displays nicely.

dvus
D
dvus
Jan 11, 2008
"Joel" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

Good family tree! and because of the culture (I guess there are lot of thing you may have to learn from grand-kids <bg>) my grand-kids even my kids
will get kicked out of the house (unless they are too small) if they call me
by name <bg>

Well, when I was teaching martial-arts in USA Americans called me by name too, but not my kids nor grand-kids. And I am not talking about habit or disrepectful, but it’s culture and even they were born, grown up. married, having children of there own, and in America.

Agreed. Besides, "Doug" might be reluctant to hand some young mother his hard earned money to get a new pair of shoes (or whatever), but "Daddy" often does. (and she knows it)

dvus
D
Dave
Jan 12, 2008
"dvus" asked:

Is that an all-wood bridge?

Yep, it is the well known bridge from Europe to South Africa. The photo was taken when I arrived in South Africa – why would I walk if I could paddle?

Dave
D
Dave
Jan 12, 2008
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:47:59 -0500, "dvus"
wrote:

Some interesting info:

Ignore my previous post, I accidentally had my crap-blocker turned off. With it on, the page displays nicely.

Problem is with your server. I do not even have a popup-killer switched on and there is no popups
P
Peter
Jan 12, 2008
"Joel" wrote in message

So I guess both are winners <bg> Also, I usually already up at 5am, ready for morning pills and diabetes shot (usually around 6am).

Does that mean if you stop taking your diabetes shots you will no longer have diabetes?

Peter
P
Peter
Jan 12, 2008
"Dave" wrote in message

"Mike Russell" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Hahaha the funny part Dave said that he is seventeen with grand-kids. This
I only read a girls in some country in Africa continent married and gave birth at the age of 7, then her daughter gave birth at the age of 7. So she
was grand-mom 3 years earlier than Dave, but I didn’t read she has more than
one grand-kid at the age of 14.

Dave

Must be the climate. I had a great uncle from SA who "lived" until 112. His youngest son was 37.

Peter
P
Peter
Jan 12, 2008
"Dave" wrote in message

Good family tree! and because of the culture (I guess there are lot of thing you may have to learn from grand-kids <bg>) my grand-kids even my kids
will get kicked out of the house (unless they are too small) if they call me
by name <bg>

http://dave.photos.gb.net/p40034295.html

http://dave.photos.gb.net/p44957278.html

The subject is the most important shot. Enjoy your grandchildren in continued good health.

Peter
P
Peter
Jan 12, 2008
"dvus" wrote in message

Agreed. Besides, "Doug" might be reluctant to hand some young mother his hard earned money to get a new pair of shoes (or whatever), but "Daddy" often does. (and she knows it)

Yup, that’s the magic word girls learn when very young.:-)

Peter
D
Dave
Jan 12, 2008
, "Peter"

The subject is the most important shot. Enjoy your grandchildren in continued good health.

Thanx for the well wishes, Peter – I certainly intend to:-)

Dave
J
Joel
Jan 13, 2008
"Peter" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message

Does that mean if you stop taking your diabetes shots you will no longer have diabetes?

I guess so but haven’t tried! thanks for the great advice (or remind) <bg>
D
dvus
Jan 22, 2008
Dave wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:47:59 -0500, "dvus"
wrote:

Some interesting info:

Problem is with your server. I do not even have a popup-killer switched on and there is no popups

Possibly. They do everything else half-assed…

dvus

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections