CK
Posted By
Christine_Krof_Shock
Apr 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does no one read the last page of Mac Designer!!!

< http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/novdec04/mac_lane.html>

Scott Kelby has covered the whole "tiger api hooks in the OS" quite well over the last 6 months…This is the scary part

With Macromedia tucked safely under Adobe’s wing, Jobs can’t pull another "Final Cut Pro…Apple only".

PBBBBBBTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
deebs
Apr 22, 2005
How about:

A Provisional Joint Working Group in support of proposed merger

Remit
– to provide cohesion in development strategies in anticipation of joint merger going ahead as planned

– with a view to releasing product bundles and developments to the mutual benfit of both parties as soon as possible after the merger
D
deebs
Apr 22, 2005
– to provide a basis for ongoing partnership for the benefit of shareholders, customers and good practice

– givn the rate of change in hardware, software and developments in IT that the proposed merger should be supported by both parties with a view to optimising time available in the transition to merger should it indeed go ahead
D
deebs
Apr 22, 2005
The Board may also wish to consider applying a set outcome:

– that the Provisional Joint Working Group be composed primarily of creatives and provides both Boards (MM and A) with a proposed business plan with a view to rolling out consumer based products within one week of the merger being completed.

The proposed business plan should be completed and presented to Boards with sufficient time to allow costings to be made and projections completed before the merger takes place.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 22, 2005
don’t worry deebs. they’ll call you when they’re ready to talk… 🙂
D
deebs
Apr 22, 2005
LOL!

I should explain:
mergers can induce inertia, uncertainty & confusion
T
troyhark
Apr 22, 2005
The link Christine KS posted above only confirms what I think about Apple’s damaging control freakery. I find their slogan ‘Think Different’ completely risible as it should have in brackets "as long as it’s exactly the same way we do". I very glad MS has Apple as a sort of competition, but I’m so glad it’s not Apple who have MS’s market dominance. Apple do some things so well, but they have this patronising we know better than you attitude. And I think this is ultimately why MS is the bigger player.
Sorry if this is a bit rant like, but I thought I’d give iTunes another look recently. And wretched programme decided to reorganise all my music files and folders into a manner it thought was best. How is organising say a compilation album into 25 separate folders with track inside yet another folder any good to anyone. And what about all the other programmes that may be pointing to those folders…I could go on, but it’s the most destructive programme I’ve ever used. Luckily I’d tested it on a subfolder within entire collection – only took about an afternoon to resort. It wouldn’t be so bad if iTunes had warned that my file directory was going to be rearranged, but that would be giving people choice. Not their style.
If they wanted to beat MS they should make OS X work on Intel/AMD chips. Then peeps would have a real choice of OS. I’d like to learn, maybe use Final Cut, but I’m not going to buy an Apple just for that one programme.
Breathe out now and relax….mutter mutter… £**&ing iTunes, piece of ….
D
deebs
Apr 22, 2005
Maybe Apple should provide a subsidised convertion route?

I’d buy one but the prospect of having sooper-dooper software on the PC and zilch on the Apple is a major brickwall so = no Apple.

C’mon Apple – you can do it!
I
ID._Awe
Apr 22, 2005
Troy: Did you forget the $25M gift to Apple from MS?
D
deebs
Apr 22, 2005
May I persist?

C’mon Apple – the biggest brake is the cost of conversion – I guess someone’s got to feel the pain to get the gain?
T
troyhark
Apr 22, 2005
I thought it was more like $125m that MS gave to Apple to stop them going under and thus giving them no ‘competition’. Not that Apple is competition in any serious form. Up from 1.5 – 1.75% worldwide I believe is their market share. It may have been better if Apple had gone under and MS was broken up. As it is MS is to all intents a monopopoly. Never healthy.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Apr 23, 2005
I want competition! Give me Photoshop for Valdocs!
BH
Bobby_Henderson
Apr 23, 2005
I agree with some of the sentiments of the Macdesignonline article -about Apple painting itself into a corner. And I feel Adobe has already been making adjustments.

Some of the most hyped features of the "Tiger" OS happen to be identical to features in the Adobe Bridge application for CS2.

I have still been very tempted to buy a new Mac system for the past couple years. However, looking a little farther down the road, I see trouble for Apple. Even on the video production end.

Many forget they are not the only game in town when it comes to non-linear based professional video editing. There’s lots of other players out there. Apple is pricing its competition out of the Mac platform. The Windows platform is wide open for anyone to develop a credible alternative. Yes, Adobe needs to work a good bit harder on their video production apps.

Who are the other players in video (besides Adobe)?

Well, you have Avid, who also just bought out the Pinnacle company. Most of us know Pinnacle through their consumer end stuff. But they also make some very expensive high-end turnkey systems, just like Avid. Avid also owns Softimage, Digidesign/M-Audio (makers of ProTools). Apple’s new SoundtrackPro app will kill some ProTools sales. There’s a better chance than ever we’ll see a Windows version of ProTools ported sometime soon.

Autodesk/Discreet is another interesting company. They have a variety of powerful 3D and video composition and editing tools (3D Studio Max, Cleaner, Combustion). Discreet is also known for its high end film/video systems (Flame, Fire, Smoke, Inferno, FlintHD, etc.). They have enough expertise to put together a formidable PC video editing package.

You also can’t forget about Matrox. They may have all but disappeared in the video game graphics card races, but they still make turnkey video production setups.

Overall, the whole deal on computer-based video editing reminds me a little about how Apple blew it big time in the 3D market. They’re the only game in town for their platform. But then there’s a bunch of stuff happening elsewhere. It has taken several years for Apple to recover a little from its missteps in the 3D market. It is not a full recovery. Please note the end credits of "The Incredibles" –rendered on Intel processors. All the other Pixar movies were rendered on Sun SPARC-based setups.

Back to how Adobe relates in this. I think Apple may be forgetting that Adobe is the 2nd largest software company in the world. Apple is also forgetting Adobe was one of the main things that made the Mac great for graphics (Adobe Postscript and its first versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.).

Adobe and its products have lots of brand name recognition. Photoshop is now a verb in everyday language. When you blow your nose you say, "I’m getting a Kleenex." When people say a photo has been altered, they’ll say it has been "Photoshopped." I don’t care if MacOSX has a lot of Photoshop-like features. You can get a bunch of features like that open source for any platform with The Gimp (and for free). Photoshop just gets the job done better. I’ve jumped between a lot of apps over the years, but I won’t give up Photoshop anytime soon.

The only thing that makes a computer platform great are the applications available to it. Windows PCs used to stink for graphics because CorelDRAW was once the only game in town. I still like CorelDRAW -its 1200" X 1200" pasteboard is kind of nice if you want to design something like a sign or billboard full size (I wish Illustrator could do this). Now the PC platform has just about everything. The only thing it seems to lack are only apps made by Apple. That doesn’t put Apple in a very strong position for the long term, IMHO.
D
deebs
Apr 23, 2005
It always saddens me when I see a great organisation (whatever it is: manufacturing, voluntary sector, software, hardware, … ) display signs of poor stewardship. Very sad really.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections