SA
Posted By
sm_adelhoff
Apr 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Samsung’s states that their U-CA 5 camera has a special feature to cope with available light situations. Instead of a) using a flash and ruining the mood or b) use a longer exposure time and have the picture unsharp, the camera automatically takes two pictures. One with a short exposure time, and the other with a longer exposure. The result is composed from the colors from one picture plus the contours of the other picture.

I only found a German explanation <http://www.samsung-cameras.de/products/uca5/sf_info.html>, no english one.

Does this technique work well?
How can it be emulated in Photoshop?

Sven

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
deebs
Apr 21, 2005
If the link survives transmission through cyberspace there should be an auto translation round about here < http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sam sung-cameras.de%2Fproducts%2Fuca5%2Fsf_info.html&langpai r=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Fla nguage_tools>

Avant browser is wonderful in this respect (Tools > Translate) and IMHO a worthy addition to supplement FireFox and Internet Explorer
J
johntolliday
Apr 21, 2005
I worry that the long verschlusszeit and multiple „Doppelaufnahme&#x20Ç; will result in Bewegung der Themen!
D
deebs
Apr 21, 2005
Ok I agree 🙂

Autotranslate may need a bit more development but for an almost instantaneous result it can’t be that bad

I think one of the words that did not translate may be an unkind description/label applied to intrusive photographers
SA
sm_adelhoff
Apr 22, 2005
Cool, I didn’t know that auto translate has evolved so far. Although there are some weird expressions, the main idea comes through. When I remember the beginning of auto translating …

But back to my initial question. Does anyone know whether SafetyFlash works as promised and what it really does (in terms of Photoshop image procesing)?

Sven
D
deebs
Apr 22, 2005
It sounds as if they have developed or purchased an algorithm that takes edges from the sharper image and fill values from the slower image.

I guess there should be an equivalent construction (or even better?) under Photoshop.
SB
Scott_Byer
Apr 22, 2005
In Photoshop CS2, there sure is – Merge to HDR. Using a camera that has exposure bracketing, take multiple exposures (preferably from a tripod or other stable mount) with enough f-stop range to capture the dynamic range in the scene. Merge to HDR then merges those exposures into an HDR image that can then be converted to a standard 16 bpc or 8 bpc image using algorithms and curves that allow the dynamic range to be appropriately compressed into a single image.

-Scott

wrote:
It sounds as if they have developed or purchased an algorithm that takes edges from the sharper image and fill values from the slower image.

I guess there should be an equivalent construction (or even better?) under Photoshop.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections