Posted By
seth_levi
Apr 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Chris,

I too was thinking that it would be easier to just flatten the image to avoid font issues, but they specifically told me not to do so.

I had a talk with the company, and they said their concern was people using wacky fonts which they did not have, and that they did not want people sending them fonts. However, since I’m just using standard fonts, they’ll accept a PSD file without anything special done to the fonts.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 20, 2005
Okay Seth. If they don’t want you to flatten the image (for whatever reason), I guess you could simply rasterize the text layer.

Chris.
JF
Jerry_Farnsworth
Apr 20, 2005
:

A company that is mass printing something for me says that I need to convert all fonts to either "outlines" or "curves." Is this the same thing as "convert to shapes."

No, it’s not.

Save your PSD as a PDF, choose "Include Vector Data" and "Use Outlines for Text."

DO NOT flatten the file. DO NOT rasterize the text. Both will get a file that can be used without fonts, yes – but your text will then print at the resolution of the pixel part of the image and will be (at best) quite soft. By preserving vectors you will get the resolution of the output device – typically 2400 or 3600 dpi – for razor-sharp text.

The amount of confusion on this issue in this forum is…puzzling, to say the least.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 21, 2005
The amount of confusion on this issue in this forum is…puzzling, to say the least.

This is because the only people who have happened to pick up on this particular thread are – like myself – mainly photographers and not people who generally deal with the printing industry.

Maybe the Illustrator forums would have been a better place for this topic. Nevertheless, we all try to offer what help we can, even when our area of expertise lies elsewhere in Photoshop, and we generally qualify that help where necessary with "I guess" or "Why not try".

So why not look in here more often? We could do with more contributors who can offer insight to the nooks and crannies of Photoshop less visited by ourselves.

Thanks for your input.

Chris.
PH
Photo_Help
Apr 21, 2005
Chris,

Just be aware that sometimes bad advise is worse than no advise at all. One bad post could be quoted as fact in many other posts to come.
B
BobLevine
Apr 21, 2005
Just be aware that sometimes bad advise is worse than no advise at all.

Sometimes?

Bob
PH
Photo_Help
Apr 21, 2005
Bob,

Yeah I thought about leaving that out but decided that sometimes in a time crunch bad advise might get the project done where it wouldn’t have made the deadline. Unfortunately the quality will could may be compromised considerably.

We all have our areas of expertise and when people see the regulars right on target a lot of the time they tend to think you are giving the best advise on all your posts. With great power comes great responsibility 🙂
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 21, 2005
PH & Bob.

I entirely agree with you. which is why I was careful in post #2 to declare my lack of proficiency in this area at the very beginning of my first paragraph.

My second paragraph posed a question as to what might be the solution, and this elicited responses from Phillip and Don.

My second post (#5) was by way of a question to Don, with the intention of opening up the discussion to the advantage of others reading it who, like myself, might have a scant understanding of vector graphics.

I am always extremely careful not to quote opinion as if it were fact, although I am aware there are some who do.

Chris
LM
Lynch_Mike
Apr 21, 2005
Just be aware that sometimes bad advise is worse than no advise at all.

Double your money back guaranteed!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections