T
Posted By
Tom Whicker
Apr 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Aloha! Until I installed my Photoshop 7.0, I was able to right-click on any image file and choose the "Open With" and select Photoshop from the menu. After re-installing 7.01 I no longer have that image. How can I add PS to the "Open With" menu?

Mahalo

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DC
Dave Croft
Apr 21, 2005
" Tom Whicker" wrote in message
Aloha! Until I installed my Photoshop 7.0, I was able to right-click on any image file and choose the "Open With" and select Photoshop from the menu. After re-installing 7.01 I no longer have that image. How can I add PS to the "Open With" menu?
Mahalo

Hi, I have both PS7 & CS on my machine.
(I only use the 7 to help a friend with his on the internet) As you say the only "open with option" it gives me is with CS. Can anyone solve this please.

Dave Croft
England
H
harrylimey
Apr 21, 2005
Aloha! Until I installed my Photoshop 7.0, I was able to right-click on
any
image file and choose the "Open With" and select Photoshop from the menu. After re-installing 7.01 I no longer have that image. How can I add PS to the "Open With" menu?

Mahalo
There is probably a registry edit for this – but in the short term a working solution is to change the ‘associated file type’ temporarily to the one you want included on the sub-menu, when you have opened it in the new associated programme, you can change the association back to your preferred option – but the new programme will now be included in the open with sub menu!! (hopefully!!!)
More detailed instructions below:-

In Windows 2000 & XP, right-click any file icon and choose Open With. The first time you do this for an unassociated file type, you’ll be presented with an Open With dialog box listing several installed applications. Select one from the list or click Other. Select the application file from your hard disk, and click Open. Then click OK. The next time you go through this routine, you may still have to display the Open With dialog box and select another application. But once you’ve opened a file type in two or more applications, you’ll get an Open With submenu that lists all the apps you’ve used to open this particular type of file so far. If the application you want is not on the Open With submenu, click choose programme and go through the above routine again to add it to the list. The Open With submenu always shows the default program at the top; then items are sorted by date of use, with the most recent application first.

Harry
H
harrylimey
Apr 21, 2005
any
image file and choose the "Open With" and select Photoshop from the menu. After re-installing 7.01 I no longer have that image. How can I add PS to the "Open With" menu?

Mahalo
Re my previous message – I found the registry entry you need to alter -BUT I have to say that altering the registry is a task for those well versed in computing – and always to be done after a registry back-up!!

Harry

a.. Click Start, Run, Type REGEDIT

b.. Navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer\FileEx ts]

a.. Find the extension you wish to edit and click on the "+" sign to expand OpenWithList

( In the right pane, you will see a list with the programs, like "paint.exe", "notepad.exe" etc )

a.. Use the File, Export option to backup the registry.

b.. You will then need to add the new associated file
E
eddie
Apr 21, 2005
Hi Harry,
Going thru the procedure you described with "open with" there is an option on the window that opens at the bottom the says "always use this option" – when ticked the file will always open with the chosen programme. Just thought I would mention it
Eddie

"Harry Limey" wrote in message
any

Mahalo
There is probably a registry edit for this – but in the short term a working
solution is to change the ‘associated file type’ temporarily to the one you
want included on the sub-menu, when you have opened it in the new associated
programme, you can change the association back to your preferred option – but the new programme will now be included in the open with sub menu!! (hopefully!!!)
More detailed instructions below:-

In Windows 2000 & XP, right-click any file icon and choose Open With. The first time you do this for an unassociated file type, you’ll be presented with an Open With dialog box listing several installed applications. Select
one from the list or click Other. Select the application file from your hard
disk, and click Open. Then click OK. The next time you go through this routine, you may still have to display the Open With dialog box and select another application. But once you’ve opened a file type in two or more applications, you’ll get an Open With submenu that lists all the apps you’ve
used to open this particular type of file so far. If the application you want is not on the Open With submenu, click choose programme and go through
the above routine again to add it to the list. The Open With submenu always
shows the default program at the top; then items are sorted by date of use,
with the most recent application first.

Harry

J
Jim
Apr 21, 2005
"Harry Limey" wrote in message
any
image file and choose the "Open With" and select Photoshop from the
menu.
After re-installing 7.01 I no longer have that image. How can I add PS
to
the "Open With" menu?

Mahalo
There are four ways to accomplish this task, and three are documented in Help & Support.

First of all, right click on an image. Select Open With and select Photoshop. Then click on Always Use. This method does not allow changing of the icon.

Secondly, access the tools menu in Windows Explorer, and select file types. Then, search for jpeg in the list of file types, and associate Photoshop with all jpegs. You can change the icon.

Thirdly, access the File Types menu in the control panel, and proceed as above.

The above is merely a brief description. You can find more thorough documentation in Hel & Support, and you can even print the instructions so that you don’t need to contimually go back.

The fourth way is through editing the registry. This method is described in the Windows XP Resource Kit. In fact the second and third methods accomplish the same task.

Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections