NB
Posted By
Nick Baker
Jul 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I do a lot of architectural visualisations and sometimes nead to add a touch of lens flare to a light fitting. Is there an easier way to select the position than by using the tiny preview window? Sometimes it can take a dozen or more attempts to position the flare in exactly the right location. I’m using PS6 by the way – I don’t suppose PS7 does it differently does it?

Thanks

Nick

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

W
wayne
Jul 29, 2003
Hi Nick

I assume you’re trying to add the lens flare directly to your image layer? Instead, try creating a new black layer, filter the lens flare onto this layer, then change your layer mode to screen? This way you can move the layer anywhere you like. (You might need to play around with the layer modes to choose the correct one for your image).

Hope this helps

Wayne
DH
Darrel Hoffman
Jul 29, 2003
"Nick Baker" wrote in message
I do a lot of architectural visualisations and sometimes nead to add a touch of lens flare to a light fitting. Is there an easier way to select the position than by using the tiny preview window? Sometimes it can take a dozen or more attempts to position the flare in exactly the right location. I’m using PS6 by the way – I don’t suppose PS7 does it differently does it?

What are you using to make your original images? Most good 3D packages have lens flare effects in them. (moreso for artistic
packages like 3DS Max or Maya than for architectural programs like AutoCAD.) Failing that, I’d just use one of Photoshop’s custom
brushes on a seperate layer and then play with filters (zoom blur comes to mind) instead of using a lens flare. You have much more
control that way.
RD
Robert Dennis
Jul 29, 2003
In Photoshop there’s a couple of ways. As stated before, create a new layer- fill with black, add the lens flare roughly where you want it, click ok. Change the blend mode of the layer to Screen, and move into final position. Problem is, if your Flare is near the edge of the layer, it may show when you move that layer around. But you do have control over opacity, which is a nice trade.

However the precise way to place the Lens Flare- have the Rulers showing, right click in the Ruler to change to Pixels (very important). Bring up the Info Palatte, and with the move tool selected note the X,Y co-ordinates on the Info Palette. Write them down or trust your memory.

Filter/Render/Lens Flare for that dialoge box. Now Alt/Opt-click within the preview window, and you’ll get a dialoge box asking for X and Y values in "Pixels". Just enter the values you wrote down, click OK and the Flare spot will be precisely where you want. It works, just remember to have your Rulers set to Pixels to get those X,Y values.

Rob
www.RFDco.com

Use Edit/Fade/Lens Flare to adjust opacity, etc immediately afterwards for any final tweaks.
"Darrel Hoffman" wrote in message
I do a lot of architectural visualisations and sometimes nead to add a
touch
of lens flare to a light fitting. Is there an easier way to select the position than by using the tiny preview window? Sometimes it can take a dozen or more attempts to position the flare in exactly the right
location.
I’m using PS6 by the way – I don’t suppose PS7 does it differently does
it?
What are you using to make your original images? Most good 3D packages
have lens flare effects in them. (moreso for artistic
packages like 3DS Max or Maya than for architectural programs like
AutoCAD.) Failing that, I’d just use one of Photoshop’s custom
brushes on a seperate layer and then play with filters (zoom blur comes to
mind) instead of using a lens flare. You have much more
control that way.

RD
Robert Dennis
Jul 29, 2003
In Photoshop there’s a couple of ways. As stated before, create a new layer- fill with black, add the lens flare roughly where you want it, click ok. Change the blend mode of the layer to Screen, and move into final position. Problem is, if your Flare is near the edge of the layer, it may show when you move that layer around. But you do have control over opacity, which is a nice trade.

However the precise way to place the Lens Flare- have the Rulers showing, right click in the Ruler to change to Pixels (very important). Bring up the Info Palatte, and with the move tool selected note the X,Y co-ordinates on the Info Palette. Write them down or trust your memory.

Filter/Render/Lens Flare for that dialoge box. Now Alt/Opt-click within the preview window, and you’ll get a dialoge box asking for X and Y values in "Pixels". Just enter the values you wrote down, click OK and the Flare spot will be precisely where you want. It works, just remember to have your Rulers set to Pixels to get those X,Y values.

Rob
www.RFDco.com

I do a lot of architectural visualisations and sometimes nead to add a
touch
of lens flare to a light fitting. Is there an easier way to select the position than by using the tiny preview window? Sometimes it can take a dozen or more attempts to position the flare in exactly the right
location.
I’m using PS6 by the way – I don’t suppose PS7 does it differently does
it?
Thanks

Nick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections