Posted By
lilaclady
Dec 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I am trying to make a new document from one layer of another document. I have a page of 3 photos that I have scanned into the computer and I want to cut one photo out and make a new document that is the same size as the actual photo, not the identical document with all 3 photos in it… I have tried cutting the photo out and putting it on a new layer and selecting that layer and then Image>Duplicate but that just copies the same document at the same size…I need it to be smaller…the same size as the photo…not the whole page….
….thanks in advance to anyone who can understand that, lol

Lilaclady

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Brian
Dec 22, 2007
Hi lilaclady,

to make your cutout you obviously had to make a selection of that particular photo first. Therefore, make a selection of the photo, as you did, but then proceed as follows:
– click Ctrl+C to place a copy of it on the clipboard
– click Ctrl+N to bring up the New Image dialog, and simply click "OK" (or hit Enter).

This has automatically made a new document the size of your photo on the clipboard.

– Click Ctrl+V to paste your photo into the new document. – Flatten image

HTH

Best regards,
Brian.

"lilaclady" wrote in message
Hello,
I am trying to make a new document from one layer of another document. I have a page of 3 photos that I have scanned into the computer and I want to cut one photo out and make a new document that is the same size as the actual photo, not the identical document with all 3 photos in it… I have tried cutting the photo out and putting it on a new layer and selecting that layer and then Image>Duplicate but that just copies the same document at the same size…I need it to be smaller…the same size as the photo…not the whole page….
…thanks in advance to anyone who can understand that, lol
Lilaclady
L
lilaclady
Dec 22, 2007
Thanks so much Brian, you are a life/sanity saver!
Merry Christmas

Lilaclady

"Brian" wrote in message
Hi lilaclady,

to make your cutout you obviously had to make a selection of that particular photo first. Therefore, make a selection of the photo, as you did, but then proceed as follows:
– click Ctrl+N to bring up the New Image dialog, and simply click "OK" (or hit Enter).

This has automatically made a new document the size of your photo on the clipboard.

HTH

Best regards,
Brian.

"lilaclady" wrote in message
Hello,
I am trying to make a new document from one layer of another document. I have a page of 3 photos that I have scanned into the computer and I want to cut one photo out and make a new document that is the same size as the actual photo, not the identical document with all 3 photos in it…
I have tried cutting the photo out and putting it on a new layer and selecting that layer and then Image>Duplicate but that just copies the same document at the same size…I need it to be smaller…the same size as the photo…not the whole page….
…thanks in advance to anyone who can understand that, lol
Lilaclady

EH
Ed Hanni8gan
Dec 22, 2007
Brian wrote:
Hi lilaclady,

HTH

Best regards,
Brian.

Or, much more easily, from the flyout arrow menu in the Layers Palette, Duplicate Layer with New as the Destination.
B
Brian
Dec 23, 2007
Thanks for that, Ed. I was not aware of that feature.

Best regards,
Brian.

"Ed Hannigan" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
Hi lilaclady,

HTH

Best regards,
Brian.

Or, much more easily, from the flyout arrow menu in the Layers Palette, Duplicate Layer with New as the Destination.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections