Specific Printer/Printing Question – Epson Stylus Photo 925 and Print with Preview

S
Posted By
Stan
Apr 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is more of a "I’m puzzled why it works this way, but not that" question.

For my digital images/photos, I have the Working Space as Adobe RGB. As noted above, I have an Epson Stylus Photo 925. Epson recently released an updated version of their Print Image Matching software which installs specific ICC profiles for their papers.

Scenario 1: Source Space is still set to Adobe RGB. Print Space is set to, for example, StylusPhoto 925 Glossy Photo Paper (profile for this printer and their Glossy Photo Paper). Under Properties, I choose Custom/Advanced settings and choose No Color Adjustment (per the printer manual’s instructions, and everything else I’ve read). The print comes out with a definite blue/green color cast.

Scenario 2: Source Space at Adobe RGB. Print Space is Printer Color Management. Under the Printer properties, I choose PhotoEnhance (and either Standard or People, depending upon the shot). The print comes out fine.

My question is – under Scenario 1, what am I doing wrong? Technically, the print should come out fine, but it doesn’t.

Would appreciate any input/thoughts here as to what I might be missing.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
Jim
Apr 2, 2005
"SoCal Nikonian" wrote in message
This is more of a "I’m puzzled why it works this way, but not that" question.

For my digital images/photos, I have the Working Space as Adobe RGB. As noted above, I have an Epson Stylus Photo 925. Epson recently released an updated version of their Print Image Matching software which installs specific ICC profiles for their papers.

Scenario 1: Source Space is still set to Adobe RGB. Print Space is set
to,
for example, StylusPhoto 925 Glossy Photo Paper (profile for this printer and their Glossy Photo Paper). Under Properties, I choose Custom/Advanced settings and choose No Color Adjustment (per the printer manual’s instructions, and everything else I’ve read). The print comes out with a definite blue/green color cast.

Scenario 2: Source Space at Adobe RGB. Print Space is Printer Color Management. Under the Printer properties, I choose PhotoEnhance (and
either
Standard or People, depending upon the shot). The print comes out fine.
My question is – under Scenario 1, what am I doing wrong? Technically,
the
print should come out fine, but it doesn’t.
You should create your own profile for your own printer. I used a profile created by Monaco to solve a similar problem.
Jim
B
bmoag
Apr 3, 2005
It is possible but not likely that your monitor is off color enough to produce those results. If you go further into color management and get a device to calibrate your monitor printing can become more reliable. At that point let Photoshop manage the color: that is one of the reasons you pay the big bucks for Photoshop.
Set the print space to your printer, not your printer with any particular paper surface and check the black point compensation box. In the printer driver choose your paper surface and custom. On the next page check ICM and whatever dpi coverage you prefer.
The print preview window, if your color management is adequate, should be a pretty fair representation of the monitor image (presuming your Photoshop settings are correct).
If you want to learn more about color managed printing see if Epson is offering their print academy still on their web site.
S
Stan
Apr 3, 2005
bmoag –

Thanks – I’ll give that a try. Sorry – I didn’t mention I have an EyeOne Display colorimeter to calibrate my monitor.

I’ve got Epson’s print acadamy bookmarked. I may sign up for it if I go to a higher end printer. Anything larger than 8 1/2 x 11 goes to a lab.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections