Why do I only have corner handles to crop.

EW
Posted By
Erin Wood
Sep 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I use the crop tool It only allows me to drag from the corners and straighten or turn the image. Isn’t there supposed to be handles on the sides to allow the bounding box to be dragged left or right? What do I have set wrong? If you can answer this it would cure my headache! Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac McDougald
Sep 2, 2003
When you first choose crop tool (before you drag) hit Clear in options up top.

Mac
EW
Erin Wood
Sep 2, 2003
Mac,

Thank You. I have been so burned up by this. I am fairly new to this program. I find I’m having a hard time learning from the books I have. I do better when someone shows me what to do. Thank you!!!!
NS
Nancy S
Sep 2, 2003
Erin,

No need to sit alone being frustrated, there are lots of friendly, helpful people on this forum who would be glad to help, just ask.
KP
Ken_Pichon
Nov 19, 2003
Where is the "Clear" option located? I can’t find it.
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 19, 2003
Just above your image.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 19, 2003
Erin,

I don’t want to drag this thread on longer than is necessary, but hopefully a little explanation will help you. One of the options you have with the crop tool is that you can specify a specific size and resolution that you want to crop to. I use this feature quite often. However, when you have specified dimensions, Elements will only allow you to crop to that dimension. Consequently, you will not be allowed to move anything but a corner, and as you modify the position Elements will modify both directions for you in order to enable you to have the size you have specified. When you want to freely crop your image, you have to clear any dimensions that you previously set.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 19, 2003
Ken

What do you mean by "clear option" …If you are still talking about cropping (on a PC), just right click mouse button. There is a menu. Choose crop or cancel. You could also go back using History or use option arrow or select step backward from edit menu or ctrl + z. There may even be more ways than this. Any of these should work unless you are referring to something other than cropping. If it’s something else, just add a few details to your post.

Terri
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 19, 2003
Terri,

I think Ken was referring to the "Clear" button in the toolbar when the Crop tool has been selected. This button clears any specific dimensions that may have been specified by the user. After these dimensions have been cleared, the user can then freely crop the image.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 19, 2003
Oh….I See…I was thinking too WAY too basic. My fingers must have been moving faster than my brain.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections