C
Posted By
cspear
Mar 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a problem opening Photoshop in XP Pro. I click on the icon, the application starts to load but cuts out when it just about completes loading. I tried reinstalling but it did not seem to work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Chip Spear

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
Marcel
Mar 4, 2005
Have you Sp2 installed?
Marcel

wrote in message
I am having a problem opening Photoshop in XP Pro. I click on the icon, the application starts to load but cuts out when it just about completes loading. I tried reinstalling but it did not seem to work. Any ideas?

Regards,
Chip Spear
C
cspear
Mar 5, 2005
Yes, SP2 is installed. I notice that the program dies when it hits "loading color pref". I can’t find a prefs.psp file on my c: drive either.
M
Marcel
Mar 5, 2005
Uninstall SP2. No guarantee it will work then, but chances are it will. I had to do the same on my computer and my wife’s.
That darn SP2 will even intervene when Photoshop works and you want to use the help file.
Marcel

wrote in message
Yes, SP2 is installed. I notice that the program dies when it hits "loading color pref". I can’t find a prefs.psp file on my c: drive either.
N
neon
Mar 5, 2005
wrote:
try looking in c:\documents and settings\??????\application data\adobe\photoshop\7.0\adobe photoshop 7.0 settings
there should be a bunch of .psp files in that folder. if there aren’t you’ve got a screwed up installation.
and yes…sp2 is notorious for causing all kinds of problems.
L
Larry
Mar 8, 2005
Check google groups.
This seems to be a common error, and only requires deleting the pref files. Or resetting the prefs with a key combo before PS cuts out (in the loading process)
Can’t remember the combo though.

wrote in message

Regards,
Chip Spear
G
goodidea1950SPAM-SPAM
Mar 10, 2005
I had the same problem, not exactly, Photoshop would just disappear when it was loaded with Illustrator, but I was using Photoshop 6. I changed something and the problem went away. I can’t remember what though. I’m a big help. It might have been uninstalling the programs that I didn’t use anymore, especially with codecs, and then I disabled everything that I could in msconfig, and did some detective work, at least that sounds like what I would do. Good luck. My problem was interesting in that PS would run fine unless Illy was up.

"Marcel" wrote in message
: Uninstall SP2. No guarantee it will work then, but chances are it will. I : had to do the same on my computer and my wife’s.
: That darn SP2 will even intervene when Photoshop works and you want to use : the help file.
: Marcel
:
: wrote in message
: : > Yes, SP2 is installed. I notice that the program dies when it hits : > "loading color pref". I can’t find a prefs.psp file on my c: drive : > either.
: >
:
:

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections