Z
Posted By
ZR
Aug 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Eudora (5.2) e-mail application.

Scanned and prepared a photo image on PE-2 and want to send it in Eudora ,not as an attachment, but in the body of the e-mail.

Does anyone have an experience with this ?

Thanks,

ZR

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2003
Is this always a function of the e-mail app from which the image is sent? That’s an honest question, folks!

I’ve noticed I can change the way I view attachments from incoming messages in both Netscape Communicator and Outlook Express. When set one way, the picture is displayed in the body of the message. When set another way, the picture is an attachment that has to be downloaded before it can be viewed.

This sure doesn’t answer your question, but I think it adds another dimension to the issue. Maybe you can’t always control how something looks by the time the recipient gets it.
MM
Mac McDougald
Aug 31, 2003
Don’t do it.
Not a standard. Too many email programs won’t parse it (I wouldn’t see it, for example).

Mac
P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2003
I agree with Mac, but I did remember something else. On my Netscape, if I click within the body of the message (I use a strange mouse, this might be a right click operation for most people) I have an option to Insert Image. You might see if Eudora gives you something like that through mousie movements.
NS
Nancy S
Aug 31, 2003
Beth,

I used to use Eudora and it had the capability to insert an image in the email body.
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 31, 2003
I use Eudora 5.2 also. In the toolbar of the new message area there’a a tool button on the right for "Insert Object." Click on that and you have the choice of Picture or Horizontal line. You will have to send it as "Styled", because once you embed the image, it’s no longer plain text, but is just like a web page.

Like the others warned, make sure the persons receiving the email can "read" your embedded images. Some mail programs cannot read them or they may have the feature turned off. Although it allows bitmaps, use ONLY jpeg’s. Keep the jpeg file size as small as possible to reduce download time.

Patti
Z
ZR
Aug 31, 2003
Thank you. I did that and it worked, but…

For some reason it Enlarges the JPEG so much that I can only see a quarter of the image after it is inserted into the e-mail.

I sent it to myself as a test, and when received it, It still was very wide and tall pictuyre (had to use scroll barrs to see it all…

What am I missing ?

ZR

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:02:35 -0700, "Patti Anderson" wrote:

I use Eudora 5.2 also. In the toolbar of the new message area there’a a tool button on the right for "Insert Object." Click on that and you have the choice of Picture or Horizontal line. You will have to send it as "Styled", because once you embed the image, it’s no longer plain text, but is just like a web page.

Like the others warned, make sure the persons receiving the email can "read" your embedded images. Some mail programs cannot read them or they may have the feature turned off. Although it allows bitmaps, use ONLY jpeg’s. Keep the jpeg file size as small as possible to reduce download time.

Patti
PL
Paul L UK
Sep 1, 2003
Could you use the image as ‘stationary’, as you can in Outlook (under tools>options>mail format>stationary picker)

Paul
P
Phosphor
Sep 1, 2003
Also, in some cases it’s the recipient’s mail program that handles this, and it doesn’t really care how you set things up at your end.

For instance, with Apple’s mail.app, all images below a certain size appear in the body of the mail whether they are sent as attachments or as inbody graphics. The only way to prevent this is to zip/stuff the image before attaching. Larger files get made into attachments by mail.app whether you told them to or not. Several other mail programs do similar things.

Incidentally, if you are mailing to someone on aol from outside aol, always zip the image or they may get a weird mime text file instead of a photo after aol has worked its magic on your message.
Z
ZR
Sep 1, 2003
Deosn’t seem to be the same in Eudora… I can’t see a similar setting there.

ZR

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 00:54:59 -0700, "Paul L UK" wrote:

Could you use the image as ‘stationary’, as you can in Outlook (under tools>options>mail format>stationary picker)

Paul
Z
ZR
Sep 1, 2003
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:34:30 -0700, "Barbara Brundage" wrote:

Also, in some cases it’s the recipient’s mail program that handles this, and it doesn’t really care how you set things up at your end.

For instance, with Apple’s mail.app, all images below a certain size appear in the body of the mail whether they are sent as attachments or as inbody graphics. The only way to prevent this is to zip/stuff the image before attaching. Larger files get made into attachments by mail.app whether you told them to or not. Several other mail programs do similar things.

Incidentally, if you are mailing to someone on aol from outside aol, always zip the image or they may get a weird mime text file instead of a photo after aol has worked its magic on your message.

I tried to send it to myself first and got this "huge" image OUT and IN…!???

ZR
O
OldnSenile
Sep 2, 2003
ZR,

It seems that 3 of your 4 posts in this thread did not show up in the forum, although they did in my ISP’s newsgroup.

You may want to restate your problem with image size change. I don’t know why your viewed image would be larger (greater number of pixels), but the file size (bytes) IS increased during transfer, perhaps by a factor of 2, due to the conversion from binary to ASCI necessary for email protocol.

OldnSenile
NS
Nancy S
Sep 2, 2003
OnS,

It is late…did just you just get home from a big night of partying with your buddies and hit every joint in town??

* ***I have a big smile on my face because YOU said you were old…I don’t think so****

Nancy
O
OldnSenile
Sep 3, 2003
Nancy,

Since I am on the East Coast (PA), I could lie, and say that I am merely an early-riser. Actually, I established the bad habit of surfing the web through the night, when my granddaughter (living with us) appropriated use of our computer during daylight hours. (Also, I am innately a late-riser.)

Now that I have rationalized MY late-hour post, just who was it, that was out last night, partying with their buddies ? 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections