SL
Posted By
Shyrah Lusaya
Aug 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all and thank you for your support.

I’m very new to photoshop Elements 2.0, in fact I just got it 3 days ago along with my Canon s400.

My question is that when I open one of my pictures taken from the camera (jpg) and save it as psd format,(without doing any changes) and then when I go to lets say ACDSee and view the properties for those two pictures, the jpg one has full EXIF info on it, but the psd one has no EXIF info, what am I doing wrong?
dose elements remove all EXIF info or are they in another place?

Sorry for the long post and Forgive my poor english as I’m not a native english speaker.

Shyrah

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EM
Elena Murphy
Aug 29, 2003
I’m not 100% sure but I think E2 doesn’t support EXIF data beyond what is kept in the File Info dialog.

And your English seems fine to me!
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 29, 2003
Elena, I’ve had the same experience with three Canon cameras; the EXIF data is in the original, but doesn’t survive the transition to "Save As" images. I blame it on Canon for having a non-standard EXIF format…

Chuck
MG
Mike Geisterfer
Aug 29, 2003
I thought PSE 2 kept EXIF info.

Just did an experiment. Took a jpeg (Canon G3) pulled it into PSE2 Saved it as .PSD file.

1) PSE2 continues to have the EXIF info
2) PS Album has the EXIF info

Both have it as EXIF Data in the .PSD file

3) Irfanview Does NOT see the info.

Looks like the PSD file may have the info stored in a different format.

Mike G.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 29, 2003
Mike, the Help on IrfanView seems to imply that EXIF info is only viewable for JPG images; not sure that’s true for all versions of IrfanView, but that could be a factor…

Chuck
BL
bob lemon
Aug 30, 2003
I have PSE1 and I notice that the ones where I used "save as" will display exif info and the ones where I use "save for web" have no exif info.
SL
Shyrah Lusaya
Aug 30, 2003
Thanks to everyone for thier kind replys,

To Mike G:

Quate:
"Both have it as EXIF Data in the .PSD file"

But I did the same thing with my picture with the Canon S400, and the one with the PSD extention did not have any EXIF info, and just to get this straight, the way I’m checking to see the EXIF is to go to the FILE menu in PE2 and choose the "file info…" and then choose EXIf info from the dropdown box, am I right?

Quate:
"3) Irfanview Does NOT see the info. "

What about ACDSee 5? because that’s what I’m using.

Thanks again for your help.
MM
Mac McDougald
Aug 30, 2003
SWF keeps no additonal info. EXIF, ppi tag, etc.
It’s designed to keep the file size as small as possible, and even those small notations in the file header take some additional bytes.

Mac
MG
Mike Geisterfer
Aug 31, 2003
Chuck, I think you are right on Irfanview. EXIF is only readable in jpegs. (No button)

Shyrah, Yes I used the same method (file info). Can’t say about ACDSee 5 as I don’t used it. I use PS Album and the "metadata" is the same. I think that ACDSee may not read .PSD files in the same manner as Adobe products.

Anybody else try my experiment with differing results.

TIA
Mike G.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections