SM
Posted By
Scott M Carson
Aug 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
on IE, a photographs color is black and white, and rightfully so. However, in photoshop, that same photo appears to be more of a violet tone than black and white. What do i fix in the color settings to fix this?? Thanx, ciao

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

UT
uncle Tom
Aug 31, 2003
Why do we have to change our computer for adobe?
NS
Nancy S
Aug 31, 2003
Keith8,

I wouldn’t say it is "for adobe". Monitors usually come with a "canned profile", a generic description from the manufacturer which addresses such things as the kind of phospor they use. If you look at the advanced properties of your display, you will see which profile is currently associated with your monitor. You are viewing your screen through that profile. That profile was not made for YOUR monitor, it was made as a general thing for your type.

Calibrating YOUR monitor puts it in snyc with standardized colors, so that black is black, white is white, medium red is medium red etc. Running this utility should actually improve viewing quality and allow you to see colors as they were intended and as everyone else does. The utility will find the very extremes, the limits; the exact point at which black is achieved and the point at which white is achieved. All monitors are different, even within the same model. As they age, they also drift from the representation they gave when new.

The Adobe utility will begin with your ‘canned’ profile and then go through some steps with your input required to fine tune that profile. The improved profile will be loaded by your Operating system instead of the canned one. As long as you remember to rename the profile you are making, like "myMonitorAug", the canned one will still be in your system should you wish to return to it. So, again I say, I don’t think it is so much for Adobe as it is for you to be able to see colors and shades on your screen as they should be. One would have a very hard time printing a photo in ‘real’ colors if their monitor was showing them false colors. It is all about achieving "what you see is what you get".

But, no one is making you change your monitor, you don’t have to if you don’t want to. If your photos are disappointing when you print them out, consider running the Adobe Gamma utility.

Nancy
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 31, 2003
Nancy,
Your post is very timely for me as I just purchased a new monitor to replace one which died with a flash!! If I calibrate with Gamma and don’t like the result, how can I revert to the current settings? I cannot locate in settings which profile is associated with the monitor, i.e. the canned one.
Ken
☺
NS
Nancy S
Aug 31, 2003
Ken,

Adobe has designed the Gamma Utility for CRTs, just in case you didn’t know.

In Windows, one place to see which profile is associated with your monitor is the display properties.

* right click on desktop
* choose Properties
* select the Settings tab
* click the Advanced button
* choose Color Management tab
* it should be listed in the white box
* the Add and Remove buttons would be used to switch to a different profile
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 31, 2003
Nancy,
In color management tab it says:
Current monitor:Plug & Play monitor
Default monitor profile: none
Current profiles currently associated
with this device: big white box is
empty.
I have WIN-XP
There was no installation disk with the
new monitor, so I assume that I am utilizing a generic driver built in to WIN-XP. Perhaps I need to download a driver in order to fill information in to the blank white box.
Any suggestions?
Ken
L
larrysimon
Aug 31, 2003
I am also having a problem with things going violet. In the file browser thumbnails come up ok with proper colors but as soon as I open any of the images the image that comes up has a violet cast and the thumbnail takes on the same violet cast. Any help would be appreciated. I am brand new to Photoshop Elements so please don’t hesitate to point out very elementary things I might have missed. Thanks
P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2003
Larry, you need to be working on the same monitor calibration thingy as Ken. Since Elements is one of rather few color managed digital editing apps, it’s very common for images to display differently in it than it other applications or viewers.

Ken, I think the fact there’s a big white box next to "Current Profiles" indicates room for the creation of a custom profile from Adobe Gamma. I’d try that first before loading new drivers. If you’re having discrepancies in color, that’s usually a calibration issue. Other problems with "known" colors not displaying properly would be more a driver issue. I think the driver is probably OK.

Now – a question to both of you: are you using LCDs or CRTs? Adobe Gamma will work well with CRTs, but it’s not designed for use with LCDs. Maybe in Elements 3.0?! 🙂
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Aug 31, 2003
Nancy,
I purposely bought CRT unit after being sensitized to this issue from the many discussions we have had here in relation to color management. I should like to point out to larrysimon that if he goes to "search" above, he will access a lot of this information. I am going to try to investigate this further by contacting DELL. The XP operating system has drivers built in. For example, after I purchased my computer, I just plugged in my old HP printer and it worked, but not optimally. Then on the HP site I found instructions on how to uninstall the printer and download their new driver tailored for XP. Hence I am wondering in the present context if the built-in monitor driver is the optimal one for the discerning user – meaning all of us.If I get info. from DELL, will pass it along.
Ken
L
larrysimon
Aug 31, 2003
Beth, thank you. I ran the gamma calibration and although I see almost no change in the appearance of everything else on the monitor, the problem I was having is gone. Is it possible that simply running the calibration program created a monitor profile that Elements can now use (maybe prior to running it there was no profile so it behaved badly)?

Thanks again
L
larrysimon
Aug 31, 2003
Beth, I forgot to answer your question. I am using a CRT. 19 inch Dell M992.

Larry
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Ken,

I got my monitor’s profile from the manufacturers website, Dell. The monitor didn’t come with a profile (like five years ago) but when I bought PSE I saw that I needed one so I found a download on their site. The download was actually a file containing around 30 profiles for monitors they sell. It was a simple matter to choose the correct one as my monitor’s model was the file name.

You might want to take a look at the site of your manufacturer and see if one is offered. If one cannot be located, your second best bet, I think, would be to start with the standard sRGB profile for the Adobe Gamma Utility.

What video card do you have? Some of them, like my ATI 9800, have quite a calibration facility built in. But I didn’t change anything in the video driver, I only used Adobe Gamma.
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 1, 2003
Nancy,
Thanks for your post. Here is what I got from DELL:
Thers is nothing wrong in making the changes you mentioned, as far as your video card supports them. Now a days systems are advanced and if some setting is not supported by them , it will be prompted. So, Go ahead, make the changes, if in the process the system prompts that it is not supported , don’t do it. Else make the changes and they should work fine.
Video Card is 64MB NVIDIA Ge Force 2
MX with TV out.
Display is Plug & Play Monitor, High color (16 BIT), Resolution 800×600. I shall go to Envision web site to ascertain my monitor’s profile. By the way, there are elegant directions for Adobe Gamma in the book "The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2" by Richard Lynch." I have no commercial connection with this product.
Ken
P
Phosphor
Sep 1, 2003
Larry, I never have figured out exactly how all of this stuff ties together, but I’m sure glad our "team" had success! 🙂

That 19" will give you a nice amount of real estate. Enjoy!
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Ken,

I can see from you specs that your monitor is new, it is running on what I think are the default factory settings. Bumping that 16 bit color up to like 32 will give better results. Also I think you’ll have some difficulty with the Palette Well running at a res. of 600×800, not to mention a more limited viewing area. I would try increasing the monitor’s res. to 1024×768, though I don’t know your screen size. This setting works well on my 17".

Yes, I agree, the procedure for running the Adobe Gamma is well explained in the reference you mention, I too have the book. As he mentioned, at least it might be possible to obtain from the manu. the phosphor values. Hopefully you’ll soon get the info you need and can be on your way to beautiful images soon.
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 1, 2003
Nancy,
Thanks
Beth,
One thing leads to another.
Ken
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Ken,

Come back with your discoveries, please. Your experience may be helpful to others.
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 1, 2003
Nancy,
I plan to call Envision tomorrow in an attempt to obtain monitor profile. Their web site has the user manual for my monitor EN-775e at www.envisionmonitor.com, but the profile is not listed as far as I can determine.
I plan to repost subsequently. It is interesting that a great deal of the discussion in this forum relates to color management issues.
Ken
☻

Ken
NS
Nancy S
Sep 1, 2003
Ken,

I imagine that is because once most people get setup and things squared away, they are happily absorbed in creating their images and enjoying life. <g>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections