CK
Posted By
Christine_Krof_Shock
Feb 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Used the 4670 at a trade show…scans not as nice and sharp as my Epson 4870 and I swear I saw newton rings something I haven’t seen in a very long time!. The HP scanner seems to scan very dark even though the guy in the trade show booth tried to convince me it was a "feature" of this scanner. I have a feeling that they did not take the time to profile the scanner correctly if at all. Also the person in the booth did not seem to know if it came with ICC profiles…

Also I don’t think it can scan transparencies or slides as it doesn’t have a photo tube built in…all of the higher end Epsons do. I have a 1650,(retired but still functioning) a 3710 and a 4870 and all of these scanners have been easy to profile and maintain and have performed like champs with both reflective and transparent media.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TK
Teddie_Krause
Feb 15, 2005
Christine –

Thank you so much for this information. I am very unknowledgeable about scanners. Can you tell me what are newton rings and ICC profiles? It sounds as if the Epson 4870 might be best for my needs.

– Teddie
BL
Bill_Lamp
Feb 15, 2005
Teddie,

If I’m wrong in this, someone will correct me so here is my attempt to answer your questions.

Newton (Sir. Issac) rings are a type of interference between the surface of an image and a piece of glass. That is why all the negative carriers I used in an enlarger were glassless. Well that and dust problems. It was very common with glass mounted slides where the film wasn’t spaced away from the glass. The interference can be seen in bands, but it normally showes up in a series of concentric circles.

ICC profiles are color profiles that help you get what you saw with respect to color. They let the scanner "talk" to Photoshop and Photoshop "talk" to the printer. All the while, they keep the color matched.

For my printer, there is an ICC profile for each paper the company makes and third party quality brands include a cross reference to use *** paper by that company at least as your starting point. (Legions says use, Ilford says starting point.)

This is about as far as I can take and/or understand it.

Bill
C
carnegie
Feb 18, 2005
Before you buy/upgrade, take a look at the Canon 9900F scanner. It has a tremendous number of features, good software and performs extremely well.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:14:36 -0800,
wrote:

Used the 4670 at a trade show…scans not as nice and sharp as my Epson 4870 and I swear I saw newton rings something I haven’t seen in a very long time!. The HP scanner seems to scan very dark even though the guy in the trade show booth tried to convince me it was a "feature" of this scanner. I have a feeling that they did not take the time to profile the scanner correctly if at all. Also the person in the booth did not seem to know if it came with ICC profiles…

Also I don’t think it can scan transparencies or slides as it doesn’t have a photo tube built in…all of the higher end Epsons do. I have a 1650,(retired but still functioning) a 3710 and a 4870 and all of these scanners have been easy to profile and maintain and have performed like champs with both reflective and transparent media.
WK
William Kazak
Mar 5, 2005
I use Agfa but they are out of the home scanning arena. They could not keep up with the users asking them questions, as in customer service-of which there was none.
If you can read the reviews of the scanner that you are considering, that is a great thing to do. I was reading about popular scanners awhile ago and I was shocked at how bad they were once someone got them home; software did not work correctly or was already upgraded from the package,too light or too dark, bad colors, stuck mechanisms,bogus resolution numbers,etc. William Kazak

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections