Posted By
Gregory Kleverlaan
Feb 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We just purchased a new NIKON Coolpix 8800 digital camera

Whenever we try to open NIKON NEF files in Adobe Photoshop CS we always get the error message "Could not complete your request because of a disk error"

I’ve downloaded and installed the latest Adobe Photoshop CS RAW plugin 2.4 but we still get the same error message.

I’ve noticed that the Nikon Coolpix 8700 is supported but the 8800 isn’t listed as supported by the latest RAW plugin. Could that be the problem? Any ideas on gettting photoshop cs to recognise new cameras RAW files?

Greg

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
Cooter
Feb 17, 2005
Even though the 8800 is not listed as being supported by the release version of ACR 2.4, the beta version did "unofficially" support it. I shoot RAW files with my 8800 and have no trouble opening them in Photoshop CS with the ACR 2.4 plugin. Is it possible you copied the plug-in to the wrong folder? It should be in <Photoshop install folder>\Plug-Ins\File Formats\ and should be shown as "Camera Raw.8bi" with a size of 4789 KB and a date of 1/17/2005 10:22 AM.

Hope this helps.
GK
Gregory Kleverlaan
Feb 18, 2005
"Cooter" wrote in message
Even though the 8800 is not listed as being supported by the release version
of ACR 2.4, the beta version did "unofficially" support it. I shoot RAW files with my 8800 and have no trouble opening them in Photoshop CS with the
ACR 2.4 plugin. Is it possible you copied the plug-in to the wrong folder? It should be in <Photoshop install folder>\Plug-Ins\File Formats\ and should
be shown as "Camera Raw.8bi" with a size of 4789 KB and a date of 1/17/2005
10:22 AM.

Thanks for the tips. Were you using RAW NEF (Nikon Format) or RAW TIFF format?
The NEF files were the ones that required the ACR plugin.

Tiff works fine in photoshop. Its the NEF Nikon format pictures that get reported by the Photshop RAW plugin 2.4 as corrupt.

I managed to find the Nikon RAW plugin for photoshop (nikon capture 4.2) and that seems to work ok although it seems to strip all the atached file information from the associated NEF file after it opens it up. And it takes a while for the phtoto to open. Because I am assuming its expanding the photo ie a 12.2mb NEF file once opend becomes a 47mb file as reported by Photoshop CS.
C
Cooter
Feb 18, 2005
I am using RAW/NEF files. "NEF" is just Nikon’s term for their "raw" files, and is an acronym for Nikon Electronic Format. FWIW, RAW is not an acronym, it simply designates a file as being in an unprocessed state. A RAW file is not a TIF until it has been converted to TIF (or JPG or whatever) with ACR, Capture or similar. RAW/NEF files are not pictures as such, just a "dump" of the data as collected by the camera’s sensor. This data must be interpolated by some software program before it can be seen as a visible picture. All digital cameras start out with "raw" data, but those that don’t offer RAW files convert the sensor data internally before presenting it to the user.
I
Iordani
Feb 18, 2005
Cooter wrote:

I am using RAW/NEF files. "NEF" is just Nikon’s term for their "raw" files, and is an acronym for Nikon Electronic Format. FWIW, RAW is not an acronym, it simply designates a file as being in an unprocessed state.

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

Bought my D70 last summer and regret I didn’t chose the Canon 300…:( Hate to switch on and off… but the D70 is a masterpiece when it comes to "regular" photography.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections